Aikman was average: regular season - 141 int's to 165 td's

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is a terrible argument...really comparing apples to oranges here.

1) Completely different Era...give Montana/Aikman/Young etc. the rules of today and you wouldnt be looking up to see records being broken year after year. in the 80s/90s 300+ yard games and 40+ attempts were rare.
2) The majority of Aikmans glory days, and the 90s dynasty were pre NFL salary cap. Jerry could dish out all the cash he wanted for a QB, and still have plenty to go shopping/keep guys around.

Ozone22

Reaction score
When Aikman played it was more run the ball, smash-mouth football with different rules. Dak plays in a pass-happy league where you can barely touch the QB in the pocket. Aikman was one of the most accurate QBs ever. Can you imagine him playing in today's NFL with these rules with the accuracy he had?
I have a question, who would you rather have at QB right now Aikman or Dak throwing a deep route for the win?

75boyz

Reaction score
Based off strictly raw numbers this could be applied to a good portion of 70s HOF QBs like Staubach and Bradshaw and Stabler. Some well before them in earlier eras as well.

I guess the HOF committee must take more than statistical numbers into account when voting a prospective player in.

Plunkett won 2 championships and he's not in.
Other retired guys like Krieg and Testaverde played forever and have good longevity based stats but must not meet the specific HOF criteria they are looking for in order to vote them in I assume.

So I guess it may not be an exact science on how one's career performance is selected to the HOF.

My .02

Last edited:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Ah, the good old days when the Cowboys actually won something that mattered.

Aikman was as close to perfect a QB in terms of accuracy and efficiency in the playoffs that any team could ask for.

Had it not been for Jerry’s ego and Jimmy’s to a slightly lesser level, those Triplet teams likely would be the only team to win four SBs or more in a row and compete for more.

DFWJC

Reaction score
League was different then.

Aikman was also clutch in the playoffs. Like money clutch. Like most accurate playoff passer ever clutch.
This

It was ENTIRELY different 25-30 years ago. Heck, it was very different (and harder for QBs) even 10 years ago, let alone 30.

There is some truth that even compared to his era, Aikman was not elite during the regular season. He did have a few real nice playoff runs though....though he was surrounded by many HOFers.

But you can't compare stats across eras like that. Compare ONLY to others in the same era.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Troy made his money from the PO to SB, where he was ice cold money. First couple of years was not good with that OL. Heck one game against Reggie White he was sacked about 10 or 11 times that one game.

Bizwah

Reaction score
As many have said....the league was different. QBs could get clobbered, WRs could get blasted, teams ran the ball more. Many times Aikman and the run game would get us out to a pretty sizable halftime lead. Emmitt and Co would then run the game out the last quarter.

Everyone that played with Aikman lauded his team-mentality. He easily could've had more yards and TDs, but there was only one stat Aikman cared about...wins.