Recap: Aikman: Weekly spot on WFAN

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I believe this is one today, actually.

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/be-c...letting-garrett-go.274047/page-5#post-5301704

This one even defends Romo

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/jason-garrett-is-least-of-cowboys-problems.273809/page-2

Click on my name. When the page loads click on profile page. Then choose the tab at the top recent activity.

I think if you review some of the posts I have made over the last week or so, you will find what you are looking for.

Sometimes you have to work for answers.

No thanks, I don't want to read diatribes tonight between you and Hostile. That is between you and he.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
No thanks, I don't want to read diatribes tonight between you and Hostile. That is between you and he.

Again I will say reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Hostile is not in these comments. I was using a comment to address the length of the comments by me. He tends to be wordy and so do I.

So you ask for the links, I give them, and then you back away.

It is easier on the agenda, isn't it?

I'll say this, my time spent here is normally calm and sedate. That is unless you, or a MOD responds to something I say.

Why do you think that is?

Gameover

Reaction score
I'm glad Troy finally figured out what I knew two months ago about the offense....

If it weren't for the D, this team would probably average less than 20 points per. Not Romo's fault though!#romoites

jnday

Reaction score
Now 5. Ive been a big Romo fan this whole time and Im certainly not pinning all the teams woes on him alone but it does aggravate me that folks dont want to hear anything about Romo struggling even though its clear as day.

You must be aggravated then. I have always said that Romo was a good QB that had trouble in some big games. After Five called me a troll and hater, I decided to become one. There is no reasoning with the Romo defenders.

dupree89

Reaction score
I'm glad Troy finally figured out what I knew two months ago about the offense....

If it weren't for the D, this team would probably average less than 20 points per. Not Romo's fault though!#romoites

I agree. You absolutely need to figure in and account for times when the offense takes the ball over inside the opponents 10 YL. And look at drives that start at the opponents 35 YL and 3 plays later its a FG.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
5Stars.... I think you know I fall under the category of being a strong believer in Romo....

But he is quite clearly in some sort of slump, lately. He isn't as sharp as he was to begin the season. Several potential reasons; no real clear cut definitive reason as to why. But if you watch him the last couple of weeks and compare that to earlier in the season, something is off.

If its non injury related, I have no doubt he will break free of that slump.

dupree89

Reaction score
5Stars.... I think you know I fall under the category of being a strong believer in Romo....

But he is quite clearly in some sort of slump, lately. He isn't as sharp as he was to begin the season. Several potential reasons; no real clear cut definitive reason as to why. But if you watch him the last couple of weeks and compare that to earlier in the season, something is off.

If its non injury related, I have no doubt he will break free of that slump.

Hey I dont have the answer either. I am just asking this....With Romo maybe not being as sharp and as crisp...could it be that he just doesnt have the confidence in this offense right now? * I'm only asking, please nobody kill me here* I am very sensitive.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Hey I dont have the answer either. I am just asking this....With Romo maybe not being as sharp and as crisp...could it be that he just doesnt have the confidence in this offense right now? * I'm only asking, please nobody kill me here* I am very sensitive.

Could very well be... I've wondered that after Laurent left for greener pastures. He had all sorts of trouble last year throwing to receivers not names Bryant, Witten, and Austin. Ogletree and Harris, in particular.

I wonder if he has lost the confidence of his receivers running routes well/correctly and not to leave him hanging... so he goes with a more conservative pass. We don't see many back shoulder throws.

I also suspect he doesn't trust the OL. Too many times lately, he has gotten happy feet and got rid of the ball quickly when he could have held it a bit longer and went for a bigger play.

It could also be that he thinks he needs higher percentage throws (ironically, its been anything but lately judging by his completion percentage) to keep drives sustained and the defense off the field.

Or he could be hurting.

I literally have no idea. But something is not right.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
overall problems:
People keep talking about how bad the defense is with all the injuries. But the offense is what really concerns me. People just look at their points scored and conclude that the offense is not the problem. But take out special teams or defensive scores and take out the very short fields that the offense was set-up with because of great special teams returns or the defense forcing a turnover...and you have an offense that is concerning. They just cant get it going and cannot sustain drives on a consistent basis.

This is the thing that bugs me about this team. The offense should be much better than it is.

I'm disappointed in the defense, but there are at least viable reasons why it is struggling, particularly the injuries.

The offense has no excuses, especially with the offensive line at least marginally improved this season.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score

I think Its clear that he doesnt have any faith in the pass blocking. He seems hurried at times when he doesnt have to be and just looks skittish back there.

Maybe years of running for his life and getting beat to death behind these horrible lines have taken their toll.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the issue is this take-what-they-give-you scheme.

Dallas would rather Romo throw to a rookie receiver who's dropped some catchable balls (although Dez and Witten have, too) and isn't consistent with his route-running than be creative about getting Witten and Bryant open. The team itself is inconsistent in its use of play-action, which would open some throwing windows; running the ball and designed passes to the running backs that would take advantage of the coverages they are using on Witten/Bryant and the aggressiveness of the front seven in getting after Romo.

I tell you, I look at the offensive game plans of teams that we face and get jealous.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
I tell you, I look at the offensive game plans of teams that we face and get jealous.

Which is maybe the most perplexing part of this whole thing. Romo was supposed to have a lot more influence into the game planing and play calling this season.

Why when this offense struggles as it does dont we go hurry up? Why must we continue to run every play to near 00 on the play clock.

There is something more to this that none of us know.

dupree89

Reaction score
Someone in the past few weeks has posted the entire 1977 NFC Chamionship game on you tube.
I actually forgot how that game started out.
Vikes win toss.
on 3rd down, Vikes RB fumbles. Harvey Martin falls on it.

1st down Dallas at the Vikings 39.
7 yd run by Newhouse.

2nd and 3 at the Vikes 32.
Staubach with a fake WR screen and finds Golden Richards all alone in the end zone.

THATS how a team capitalizes on a turnover. Not any of this 3 plays and kick a FG stuff.
Thats what really irks me about this current team. Getting a turnover and having to settle.

Aven8

Reaction score
Sounds like Aikman know's us pretty well. Maybe he should be the next HC.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Still won't come out and say the organization is a mess and Jerry should resign. Thanks a bunch Troy!

As was pointed out, Troy is too media savvy for such extreme comments.

But I find it telling that he would be so critical of the offense. An offense run by his very good friend Jason Garrett.

It's a position I definitely agree with, but I'm surprised that Aikman publicly criticized it as much as he did.