Albert Breer on Dak's contract situation

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
That is not correct. Dak's cap hit currently is $55M. If he is cut or traded it jumps to $69M.

But keep believing he will be traded.
It’s a fantasy to many fans. The irony is if Dak asked to be traded the answer would be “no”.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s a fantasy to many fans. The irony is if Dak asked to be traded the answer would be “no”.
They team is too talented to start over and rebuild and more importantly Jerry does not have the time for it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When does Dak get paid the $29m base salary....which I assume is the saving you're referring to?
It's guaranteed now, but I believe it is paid out weekly during the regular season. The cap hit for a team is similarly tallied weekly, so that a midseason trade of a contract trades the cap hit for remaining weeks.
There's some small chunk of it that gets applied during training camp and preseason, but I don't remember the details.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I can’t imagine, based on all this, that Prescott would take anything without an average well into the 50s. Do the Cowboys have the appetite for that? To this point, they haven’t. We’ll see whether that changes as we get closer to the season
Dak is already under contract for 30mil salary this year.
Why should the Cowboys bump that up into the 50s?

They could still give Dak the best offer he gets next year, *after* not handing him 20mil+ more this year.