Albert Breer on Dak's contract situation

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's YOUR plan if they KEEP him ? How do we win a Superbowl. What's your plan to improve because this roster isn't winning anything.
My plan is for Jerry to sell the team. That would be the best move to help the Cowboys win their next SB.
Are you making an offer?
We could start a gofoundme.
UGvFEIJ.png

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's all going to play itself out! We won't need to worry because when the Cowboys don't make the playoffs or make the playoffs and Dak chokes again the decision is easy. Get rid of him!
This is Daks last season as a Cowboy. Maybe he can take some of these followers with him. The fans have had enough and the locker room hates him for hogging all the money.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's all going to play itself out! We won't need to worry because when the Cowboys don't make the playoffs or make the playoffs and Dak chokes again the decision is easy. Get rid of him!
This is Daks last season as a Cowboy. Maybe he can take some of these followers with him. The fans have had enough and the locker room hates him for hogging all the money.
Clueless.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It always takes two to make a contract. The Cowboys' FO isn't engaging in talks with Dak's people. Yes, they are making him play out his current obligations.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It always takes two to make a contract. The Cowboys' FO isn't engaging in talks with Dak's people. Yes, they are making him play out his current obligations.
Dallas wants an excuse to not extend CD. They want him to play on his 5th year. So drag out Dak's contract.

Then drag our CD's next year and force Micha to play on his 5th year contract.

This is how the Jones's think.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Which specific team meets this dance partner scenario? There's a lot of moving parts to a Dak trade.
Don't know.

Obviously gotta work something out with someone. Because of the large cap numbers, it probably will require some contract hokey pokey including voidable years.

I'm not one who pretends the cap doesn't exist. It exists. But there is a way to pick up a year contract if you think it's worth it. You push money of other players into the future.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
LOL.......notice his tag number IF there was no tag clause

From Steve Bussberg (@SBussberg): What is the latest on Dak’s contract situation? Is the thinking he plays the year without a new deal? And is it the Cowboys shying away from a new deal? Or Dak wants out?

Steve, I think we’re at the posturing stage of the negotiation.

That doesn’t mean they won’t get something done. Huffing and puffing about your intentions, and how resolved you are to your position, is easy in March and April and May. As we get closer to summer, things will start to shift, as the Dallas Cowboys come closer to the reality of putting Prescott out there in a contract year, and Prescott confronts the injury risk that accompanies that, and the uncertainty of what might lie ahead in 2025.

That said, I think there are a couple of things to remember here. First, Prescott’s tag number in 2025 would come at 144% of his ’24 cap number. The latter tops $55 million, which sets the former at $79.39 million. And that essentially means Dallas really can’t tag Prescott in March, so he’s got the rare leverage of knowing he’ll be a free agent. Meanwhile, Jared Goff just got a deal with a new-money average of $53 million, months after Kirk Cousins got $45 million, so waiting on this has given negotiations new framing.

I can’t imagine, based on all this, that Prescott would take anything without an average well into the 50s. Do the Cowboys have the appetite for that? To this point, they haven’t. We’ll see whether that changes as we get closer to the season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...im-rare-leverage-over-the-cowboys/ar-BB1ms6LJ
Jethro said “ he’s waiting on the leaves to fall”.

Goff is one of them. We’ll see where Trevor Lawrence and Tua fall.

My hunch is those will set the baseline and ceiling for both sides of the negotiation.

And I expect the final number to be in the mid 50’s.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Don't know.

Obviously gotta work something out with someone. Because of the large cap numbers, it probably will require some contract hokey pokey including voidable years.

I'm not one who pretends the cap doesn't exist. It exists. But there is a way to pick up a year contract if you think it's worth it. You push money of other players into the future.
But is there a team that's close enough (presuming Dak won't trade and extend) to give up a 'haul of prospects' for one years race?
There's a number of teams that'll be interested (if it weren't for the 'haul...'),....but would the Raiders/Seahawks/Rams give up their 1st+ when they can get him for free next year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But is there a team that's close enough (presuming Dak won't trade and extend) to give up a 'haul of prospects' for one years race?
There's a number of teams that'll be interested (if it weren't for the 'haul...'),....but would the Raiders/Seahawks/Rams give up their 1st+ when they can get him for free next year.
I don't expect we get a "haul" for Dak. I don't need one. If they don't intend to extend Dak, then cash out what value we can and spend this year developing other QBs.

We can get a haul if there is a bidding competition. Could happen.

But it starts with the team and Dak agreeing it's a win-win to pursue a trade regardless of any "haul". I think it's win-win, and the team has *arranged* for that to be the case for Dak. They quite sensibly refused to mortgage the future for a QB *not* under contract in the future.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't expect we get a "haul" for Dak. I don't need one. If they don't intend to extend Dak, then cash out what value we can and spend this year developing other QBs.

We can get a haul if there is a bidding competition. Could happen.

But it starts with the team and Dak agreeing it's a win-win to pursue a trade regardless of any "haul". I think it's win-win, and the team has *arranged* for that to be the case for Dak. They quite sensibly refused to mortgage the future for a QB *not* under contract in the future.
If we're not getting a 'haul' and still having the Dead Money on the books we may as well keep him and recoup a Comp 4th.
Indeed, if we're out of it he may accept a trade closer to the deadline, if a competing team loses their QB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we're not getting a 'haul' and still having the Dead Money on the books we may as well keep him and recoup a Comp 4th.
Indeed, if we're out of it he may accept a trade closer to the deadline, if a competing team loses their QB.
We save 30mil this year by trading Dak.
We also can spend a year seeing what Lance (or someone else) can do.

There's a lot of room between "a haul" and a 4th. Even if we just got a 4th, we're better off saving the cap and start time for someone else.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

There's a lot of room between "a haul" and a 4th. Even if we just got a 4th, we're better off saving the cap and start time for someone else.
When does Dak get paid the $29m base salary....which I assume is the saving you're referring to?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He gets a game check for every game he’s on the 53 man roster during the season. On it all 17 games the total gross is $29m.
Ta.

So a team would need to find the $29m and 'not quite a Haul', for potentially one year of Dak. I don't see a dance partner (unless it's a team that Dak wants to join and they agree to extend him on a market setting price).

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dallas wants an excuse to not extend CD. They want him to play on his 5th year. So drag out Dak's contract.

Then drag our CD's next year and force Micha to play on his 5th year contract.

This is how the Jones's think.
They have the franchise tag, so they only have to sign one of them soon and the other gets tagged.

Edit/ They can tag CeeDee in 2025 and still have it in 2026 for Micah.

This is also probably why they are afraid of signing free agents. They have to make sure they have enough for the franchise tags in the next two years. Shouldn't have that problem if they are signed long term.

Chasing6

Reaction score

That is not correct. Dak's cap hit currently is $55M. If he is cut or traded it jumps to $69M.

But keep believing he will be traded.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They have the franchise tag, so they only have to sign one of them soon and the other gets tagged.

Edit/ They can tag CeeDee in 2025 and still have it in 2026 for Micah.

This is also probably why they are afraid of signing free agents. They have to make sure they have enough for the franchise tags in the next two years. Shouldn't have that problem if they are signed long term.
Franchise tags have to be paid in full that year. You can't kick the can down the road. CD will be signed next year to a 5 year deal.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
It's seriously a lose lose for the Cowboys. We either have to pay him because he ends up doing well, or we let him walk for nothing...should've let him seek out a trade if we don't feel he's worth a new contract.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's seriously a lose lose for the Cowboys. We either have to pay him because he ends up doing well, or we let him walk for nothing...should've let him seek out a trade if we don't feel he's worth a new contract.
If he wanted a trade he would have asked for permission.