Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025

Rayman70

Reaction score
this league is all about the qb, so its hard to fault the team for throwing a low risk dart. Not to mention, QB's that can be serviceable are super hard to find. I take no issue with Jerry for making this trade. We have to find out about him this year or see if we can get him to sign a heaper extension for a year.

shabazz

Reaction score
this league is all about the qb, so its hard to fault the team for throwing a low risk dart. Not to mention, QB's that can be serviceable are super hard to find. I take no issue with Jerry for making this trade. We have to find out about him this year or see if we can get him to sign a heaper extension for a year.
We've been crying for the FO to draft a qb higher than the 3rd round for a couple decades now......I guess this is as close as it gets.

Let's see what the boy can do......albeit against non starters

Rayman70

Reaction score
"At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win"

Wow.......what a win.
I actually do think Tyrod Taylor could win a couple big games if need be, in the right situation. He was the best QB the Giants had. lol...which is stunning when you think about how the signed Danny pennies to a mega deal,thus marrying the team to him. The Giants will sink to the bottom of the ocean because of that deal, like the Titanic. Its a cautionary tale, hitching your wagon ie your business, to 1 guy, because if your wrong, its a terrible outcome. I think this is why Dallas got Lance...a preemptive move because they have serious misgivings about Dak. We can fault the Joneses for alot, but not on this. Lance may never be Rodgers, but what if he's a bit better than Dak? He'd come cheaper, YOUNGER and gives us some juice. If they are wrong, hey, it was a 4th round dart. No biggie.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win"

Wow.......what a win.

Let's at least see him play here a bit first before comping him to other players......he may be the next Tom Brady or next Lenny Bruce
I agree........not sure what Albert is thinking

Rayman70

Reaction score
We've been crying for the FO to draft a qb higher than the 3rd round for a couple decades now......I guess this is as close as it gets.

Let's see what the boy can do......albeit against non starters
In their minds, Lance was a 1st round pick, which is a fact, he was. So the way they see it, they got a 1st rd pick for cheap.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder
It was to give the impression that there was an alternative should France play hardball.
It's not a masterplan, but there's no way France would of taken Rush as a viable QB1. In Jerry's mind, he was strengthening his hand.....unfortunately he's transparent (as with All-In and Brooks comments).
Jerry, they aren't giving you a bone, extend him or if you get the deal (and you cant find that miracle trade).... then cut Dak and regroup CAP for 2025.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm with Jerald on this one, I think we'll be surprised.
It's the perfect storm either he'll workout great or we'll be in number one position to draft a QB next year.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
I think people’s low expectations for Lance is more common sense than ‘just looking at 4 games’. Most people realize the fact that Lance spent a couple years with a coach that can make chicken salad out of chicken —— with other QBs, yet he still felt very comfortable parting with him for peanuts even after the franchise gave up so much to acquire him in the first place. He was seen in practice every day by this coach…so it’s not a stretch to make general assumptions on what he thought.

shabazz

Reaction score
In their minds, Lance was a 1st round pick, which is a fact, he was. So the way they see it, they got a 1st rd pick for cheap.
Oh God, did they see it that way when they brought in Ryan Leaf decades ago? lol

I can see your point and perhaps they figured that MM would be the right coach to develop him......but I still can't get over a guy that Shanahan gave up on even after moving heaven and earth to get him

I'm very very cautiously optimistic?

jujoboys

Reaction score
If he had more years on his contract I would say it was a good trade. However, we acquired him mid year last year so that was a wasted year. Now we are in the last year of his contract and he will probably only get to see time in preseason games which tells you absolutely nothing. Will Grier looked like a beast in preseason and he is now jumping from practice squad to practice squad. If he couldn't win with the weapons and coaching in SF he sure as heck isn't winning in Dallas. We should have kept that 4th round pick and grabbed a RB in the draft. Below are some of the RBs drafted right after that pick (4th #124) and between our next pick at 174. That 4th round pick would have been the perfect time to fill the RB need.

125 Bucky Irving
127 Will Shipley
128 Ray Davis
129 Isaac Guerendo
132 Sione Vaki
134 Braelon Allen
147 Audric Estime
165 Rasheen Ali
166 Tyrone Tracy
167 Keilan Robinson
173 Isaiah Davis

Rayman70

Reaction score
Oh God, did they see it that way when they brought in Ryan Leaf decades ago? lol

I can see your point and perhaps they figured that MM would be the right coach to develop him......but I still can't get over a guy that Shanahan gave up on even after moving heaven and earth to get him

I'm very very cautiously optimistic?
Lord, your right, Ryan Leaf was a horrible signing. Same here, I'm cautiously optimistic. Its worth finding out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It was to give the impression that there was an alternative should France play hardball.
It's not a masterplan, but there's no way France would of taken Rush as a viable QB1. In Jerry's mind, he was strengthening his hand.....unfortunately he's transparent (as with All-In and Brooks comments).
Jerry, they aren't giving you a bone, extend him or if you get the deal (and you cant find that miracle trade).... then cut Dak and regroup CAP for 2025.
I mean he just declined the 5th year option (the right decision ) and it is very this kid may walk w/o ever playing a regular season game

Rayman70

Reaction score
If he had more years on his contract I would say it was a good trade. However, we acquired him mid year last year so that was a wasted year. Now we are in the last year of his contract and he will probably only get to see time in preseason games which tells you absolutely nothing. Will Grier looked like a beast in preseason and he is now jumping from practice squad to practice squad. If he couldn't win with the weapons and coaching in SF he sure as heck isn't winning in Dallas. We should have kept that 4th round pick and grabbed a RB in the draft. Below are some of the RBs drafted right after that pick (4th #124) and between our next pick at 174. That 4th round pick would have been the perfect time to fill the RB need.

125 Bucky Irving
127 Will Shipley
128 Ray Davis
129 Isaac Guerendo
132 Sione Vaki
134 Braelon Allen
147 Audric Estime
165 Rasheen Ali
166 Tyrone Tracy
167 Keilan Robinson
173 Isaiah Davis
I hear ya but listen, we were never taking a rb. Which is stupid thinking, when we could have had a Ray Davis for example with a late pick. Can you imagine having a work horse like Davis? They clearly had a plan using rb by committee and that could hurt us.