Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

Flamma

Reaction score
"At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win"

Wow.......what a win.

Let's at least see him play here a bit first before comping him to other players......he may be the next Tom Brady or next Lenny Bruce
Would you trade a 4th round pick for Tyrod Taylor? That's a big win?

Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
I'll take it all with a grain of salt,,, how many times have we seen QBs rise into prominence when coaches, much less beat writers, had written them off. Just think how many more could have been really good if coaches hadn't written them off. Let the kid play some actual games after preparing as the starter and then decide.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I mean he just declined the 5th year option (the right decision ) and it is very this kid may walk w/o ever playing a regular season game
We were never going to pay him the $20m+ 5th year money in 2025.
The plan was (probably) to get extended this off-season (and then trade Trey). The GB game has frightened Jerry into paying the money that Dak wants.....so Lance's place in Dallas has changed from being there to bring Dak to the table into a potential QB1 (who if he shows up early on will get a decent 2 year , not $20m, contract).

_sturt_

Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
Have to say, that's oh-so depressing, coming from someone with the vast head coaching and NFL scouting career that Breer has.

Can we just stop and admit there's really nothing more to discuss here on this particular until training camp... just empirically?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We're stuck either way, he does good, he wants more money and we're back to paying another QB big money!!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Because the 49ers would probably have taken a 5th or a 6th. There was a small market for him, but I think the Cowboys should have played hardball.
+1 ....Shanahan demoted him to 3rd string and admitted he would have been inactive for most games unless there was an injury. Lance was very unhappy and asked for a trade. They may have released him if they couldn't find a trade partner.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Because the 49ers would probably have taken a 5th or a 6th. There was a small market for him, but I think the Cowboys should have played hardball.
They had offers from two AFC teams. There was no way the 49ers are going to trade him within the NFC if the offers are the same.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
You have a point about talent level, this kid was drafted in the round 1, so should have better mechanics and betterarm talent etc. Still Daks mechanics are awful under pressure.

if a good coach can enable his decision making skills , he should be better than dak in thr talent level quickly, but that is a big if.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
From what I seen and read on hear. The Dak fans give more of the negative spin. In fear he will take over for Dak. Not that he will win the starting job in TC. Because Dak has not been extended, and Trey is waiting to take over in 2025 if / when Dak fails again in big games this season.

They do not want competition for the QB position. I want some competiton.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
From what I seen and read on hear. The Dak fans give more of the negative spin. In fear he will take over for Dak. Not that he will win the starting job in TC. Because Dak has not been extended, and Trey is waiting to take over in 2025 if / when Dak fails again in big games this season.

They do not want competition for the QB position. I want some competiton.
“Lance sucks! I’ve seen enough of him in San Fran!”

“2024 is gonna be a prove it year for Dak”

The same people say these things. Make it make sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
"At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win"

Wow.......what a win.

Let's at least see him play here a bit first before comping him to other players......he may be the next Tom Brady or next Lenny Bruce
Or Paxton Lynch.