Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

kskboys

Reaction score
Is this title allowed under the site rules?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcmvp

Reaction score
“Hey Trey, Dak is gone and we want to roll with you. Wanna sign?”

That simple.
I know you want to be rid of Dak (and I get it), but you can’t really believe Lance is going to be his heir apparent. I don’t see that as likely. There’s a far better chance that it will be some other guy.

Ken

Reaction score
I like how everyone has an opinion on this kid, usually a negative one, based on 4 whole games but still think Dak is going to all of a sudden become talented a decade into his career.
You started so strong with this statement and then took a hard left to crazy town.

2nd in MVP voting. Stop.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I know you want to be rid of Dak (and I get it), but you can’t really believe Lance is going to be his heir apparent. I don’t see that as likely. There’s a far better chance that it will be some other guy.
Why not?

You think Jerry traded for him just for it’s and giggles?

When has Jerry ever traded the things he values most (draft picks) for someone he had no plan to ever put on the field?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Lance as a back up maybe yes if we are so lucky but not as a starter .
There is a reason Frisco let go of him

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This one is pretty simple: Jerry flushed a fourth round pick on a lottery ticket just to remind everyone he's still the big boss around here.

Like the vast majority of lottery tickets, this one won't pay off either.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.
Where is the confusion? I posted a thread about Jerry Jones' mindset and quarterbacks.

His personal evaluation of Trey Lance is much higher than Albert Breer and Lance's critics. Jones believes he traded for a quarterback with a possible higher ceiling than Dak Prescott, that will either net him with: a) successor for Prescott or b) future trade bait.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He's a free agent after this season........
If Lance had one more year (and not the expensive fifth year option) left on his deal, it would make full sense and it would be looked at in a completely different light.

Problem is…he doesn’t.

On one hand a fourth rounder should be a big deal to a ‘draft only to improve’ team, but they all too often make head scratching throw away picks in that area. Nashon Wright and Reggie Robinson come to mind.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I think people’s low expectations for Lance is more common sense than ‘just looking at 4 games’. Most people realize the fact that Lance spent a couple years with a coach that can make chicken salad out of chicken —— with other QBs, yet he still felt very comfortable parting with him for peanuts even after the franchise gave up so much to acquire him in the first place. He was seen in practice every day by this coach…so it’s not a stretch to make general assumptions on what he thought.
I for one believe it wasn't so much about Lance as it was about Purdy doing so well. And facing the reality that he couldn't keep both.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Would you trade a 4th round pick for Tyrod Taylor? That's a big win?
Well to be fair Tyrod Taylor was traded for a 3rd round pick at one point for whatever that's worth. Of course this isn't quite apples to apples to that, but if Lance does end up being a reliable backup that gets a couple starts for an injured Dak and goes 1-1 or 2-1 it should probably be viewed as a win strictly from a value perspective. The Cooper Rush factor makes that idea a little blurry, but I think we overstate the value that a 4th round pick really carries.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I for one believe it wasn't so much about Lance as it was about Purdy doing so well. And facing the reality that he couldn't keep both.
This was also my thinking until I recently read an interview of Shanahan admitting (from last year) that Lance would have been demoted to 3rd string after Purdy won the job.

Qcard

Reaction score
I think people’s low expectations for Lance is more common sense than ‘just looking at 4 games’. Most people realize the fact that Lance spent a couple years with a coach that can make chicken salad out of chicken —— with other QBs, yet he still felt very comfortable parting with him for peanuts even after the franchise gave up so much to acquire him in the first place. He was seen in practice every day by this coach…so it’s not a stretch to make general assumptions on what he thought.
Dak Haters don't peddle in Facts :laugh: :laugh:

Sandyf

Reaction score
Find it hard to believe that fans believe they are better judge of talent than all the scouts in the NFL. All the NFL had this as an extremely weak RB class and yet we should have gone away from the rating they spent money on to take a RB that high likely would be a 3rd string back.

Sure we don't know much about Lance because haven't seen him play. If he has a good training camp then good chance he is traded by start of season, if they get Dak signed to an extension.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a free agent after this season........you think he's tradeable. Also, I doubt any team would make the trade w/o him signing a new deal, which Lance can refuse and test the open market.
He is a free agent IF Jones does not re-sign him. Your condition is correct about the probability of Trey Lance wanting to test his value elsewhere but that is problematic with trying to understand Jerry Jones' thinking for making the trade for Lance. You are thinking of what may happen in the future, while ignoring what was actually bouncing around inside Jones' head before he made the trade with San Francisco.