Albert Breer's nugget on Trey Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score
No it isn't. He said "if Shanahan let him go he ain't no good" and no one can prove that's true. Did Shanahan say it? Where's the link?

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/kyle-shanahan-trey-lance-benched-trade-18329189.php
If he was good there would never had been a need to sign Darnold or any veteran QB.

The best line was the last one of the conference.

Regarding Trance spiking the ball and kicking a FG, vs not going for the TD and an opportunity to evaluate Trance at the end of the game.

Shanahan said we evaluate him everyday at practice. Meaning pre-season meant nothing.

plasticman

Reaction score
Interesting that Shanahan mentioned nothing about that.
Probably figured he shouldn't have to. I mean, you are going to back up your 23 year old starter with a 22 year old? Somewhere in your QB squad you should have some level of NFL experience.

Hey, I could be wrong. I'll never claim to be an expert, there's no arrogance on my part to refute a different theory if it seems more plausible.

Even when the Cowboys had two rookies drafted #1 overall, regular and supplemental, Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh, they brought in 30 year old Babe Laufenberg.

plasticman

Reaction score
I hope you are right. I am rooting for him but I am not as optimistic as you about the outcome.
That's me.

How great would it be if Trey just needed a couple of years for development and then came out swinging. I'd love to see him beat the 49ers as the Cowboys starter.

The great 49er QB factory headed by NFL coaching royalty......defeated by a guy Shanahan said wasn't even good enough to be a backup. How sweet would it be to defeat the 49ers in an NFC championship game with the QB they gave us?

What's the probability, low to exponentially fractional? Well, maybe, but what's so awful about rooting for the guy and hoping he becomes something special? What Cowboys fan wouldn't wish for that type of outcome?

You know, if you go back in time I will guarantee there was someone that called Tony Romo "garbage" when he didn't suit up for a single game his first season and didn't throw his first regular season pass until his 4th season. You know he was getting hate somewhere.

After being burned by previous undrafted QB's with "great physical tools", "just needs some time for development", "he's really raw", I could understand the skepticism. It was getting to where one of the required critical attributes was a failed baseball career. So there where some out there that wanted a top 5 pick, they were tired of the bargain basement style of shopping for a QB.

However, they were wrong, focusing on Romo's performance as a passer. There is still criticism today but imagine those years without him.

So why would any Cowboys fan not want to give it a chance, even a slight one, of Trey sticking it to Shanahan and the 49ers? Could there be a sweeter form of revenge?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It was nothing more than buying a lottery ticket. I highly doubt even Jerry thought, at the time, that he was going to be their eventual starter.

I doubt that Trey Lance will ever amount anything more than a back up quarterback in this league. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment if you are expecting more.
I’ve never heard MM talk about Lance the way he did the UDFA QB in camp.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's me.

How great would it be if Trey just needed a couple of years for development and then came out swinging. I'd love to see him beat the 49ers as the Cowboys starter.

The great 49er QB factory headed by NFL coaching royalty......defeated by a guy Shanahan said wasn't even good enough to be a backup. How sweet would it be to defeat the 49ers in an NFC championship game with the QB they gave us?

What's the probability, low to exponentially fractional? Well, maybe, but what's so awful about rooting for the guy and hoping he becomes something special? What Cowboys fan wouldn't wish for that type of outcome?

You know, if you go back in time I will guarantee there was someone that called Tony Romo "garbage" when he didn't suit up for a single game his first season and didn't throw his first regular season pass until his 4th season. You know he was getting hate somewhere.

After being burned by previous undrafted QB's with "great physical tools", "just needs some time for development", "he's really raw", I could understand the skepticism. It was getting to where one of the required critical attributes was a failed baseball career. So there where some out there that wanted a top 5 pick, they were tired of the bargain basement style of shopping for a QB.

However, they were wrong, focusing on Romo's performance as a passer. There is still criticism today but imagine those years without him.

So why would any Cowboys fan not want to give it a chance, even a slight one, of Trey sticking it to Shanahan and the 49ers? Could there be a sweeter form of revenge?
Well he has like 4 months.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am rooting for this kid, but understanding Jerry's thinking with the trade is getting harder and harder.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-headlines/five-nfc-teams-with-the-best-super-bowl-chances-01hxctcvg9e4

From Bernie Bahrmasel (@BernieBahrmasel): What are you hearing this offseason regarding Trey Lance and is he an option for QB2 this year in Dallas? Who would you say he compares to favorably based on the small sample we've seen?

Bernie, I’d start here with Trey Lance: He is, by all accounts (including my own), a fantastic kid and a good worker, and just got caught in a weird situation in San Francisco. After getting hurt he watched the sand in the hourglass on his time to develop fall due to the Niners’ place as a contender in the NFC. I still believe that if the potential is there for Lance to make it, he’ll pull every lever he can to do so.

At this point, if he can grow to be Tyrod Taylor, that’d be a big win.

And that’s to say I think it’s O.K. to hope he can become the Dallas Cowboys’ backup quarterback, and play well in spots, but it’s asking too much to think that he’ll be the right backup plan if somehow Dak Prescott isn’t on the team in 2025
remind me why we made this trade again?

TheCritic

Reaction score
I have to say that there are a lot of stupid people on this forum getting all bent out of shape over Trey Lance. Endless whining over a 4th round pick. Even the tiniest scent of having some QB competition on the roster for the first time in Dak's career scares the crap out of these losers!!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Trade never should of been done. Like I've said a million times if Shanahan let him go he ain't no good. And if Shanahan let him go to Dallas you know he is no good. Shanahan is a QB friendly coach and he just gave up on Lance for Sam Darnold. Jerry was fleeced!
He isn't a QB friendly coach. He's a system QB coach. He has to have a guy who does things exactly like his system dictates. Broaddus recently said that guys he talked to from SF said that if Lance hadn't got hurt he would still be the starter.

But he did and they found a kid in Purdy that did do exactly like the system dictates.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He isn't a QB friendly coach. He's a system QB coach. He has to have a guy who does things exactly like his system dictates. Broaddus recently said that guys he talked to from SF said that if Lance hadn't got hurt he would still be the starter.

But he did and they found a kid in Purdy that did do exactly like the system dictates.
We're about to find out this pre season. I'm still stiicking with he is garbage and Jerry got fleeced.