Video: Aldon Smith Report

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Aldon Smith has a lot of people vouching for him. I've heard repeatedly that he's in the best shape of his life. If that is true he could have a big impact this season. I hope he'll get back up to speed and become a monster for us, and I think he will, too.

I hope he proves to be a beast. A good DE would really help this defense.

Paradox

Reaction score
Being in shape doesn't mean he is ready for the NFL again. 5 years is longer than most people play in the NFL. Anyone thinking he is a lock to make the team is smoking more weed than Randy Gregory.

For all we know, he could take one big hit and decide he made a mistake.

I see that my optimism struck a nerve with you. Poor fellow. Did I say he was a lock? I specifically remember using the word "hope". And you still feel the need to try and pee in my Cheerios. Yes, I'm sure it's more likely he'll take one hit and go home rather than make the team. Well thought, B0b.

Last edited:

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I see that my optimism struck a nerve with you. Poor fellow. Did I say he was a lock? I specifically remember using the word "hope". And you still feel the need to try and pee in my Cheerios. Yes, I'm sure it's more likely he'll take one hit and go home rather than make the team. Well thought, B0b.

What do you think is more likely? A guy takes 5 years off at the pinnacle of his athletic prowess and comes back to dominate the NFL or he barely plays and is out of the league again in 2021? I don't mind the FO kicking the tires, but stuff like this rarely works out. They were able to squeeze about 6 good games out of RoMac before he imploded again, and he was only out of the league for a year when they kicked the tires on him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And how many chances has Aldon received, though not from us???
Also get some of jerry's oil trucks to lubricate Aldon. He's RUSTY AFTER 5 YEARS!!!

Seems like you're ready to give up on both! I'm still pulling for both but I'd be more reluctant to bet on Randy. I guess we'll see. ;)

Last edited:

Paradox

Reaction score
What do you think is more likely? A guy takes 5 years off at the pinnacle of his athletic prowess and comes back to dominate the NFL or he barely plays and is out of the league again in 2021? I don't mind the FO kicking the tires, but stuff like this rarely works out. They were able to squeeze about 6 good games out of RoMac before he imploded again, and he was only out of the league for a year when they kicked the tires on him.

Well, I never said anything about 2021. If his body had taken a beating for the last 5 years I think he'd be less likely to dominate than he is now. The guy is a freak of nature who knows how to play the game. The real question is how fast will it will take him to get up to speed? As long as there are no off the field implosions he'll likely make the squad, even if he isn't ready. Jerry's always searching for the next diamond in the rough.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If his body had taken a beating for the last 5 years I think he'd be less likely to dominate than he is now.

That logic doesn't hold up, though. He hasn't been working on his game and competing at the highest level in 5 years. Human beings don't age like wine, we age like vinegar. Even if he has been doing drills and getting his body in shape, there's no way to tell that he can even compete in the NFL anymore, especially with a limited offseason.

The real question is how fast will it will take him to get up to speed? As long as there are no off the field implosions he'll likely make the squad, even if he isn't ready. Jerry's always searching for the next diamond in the rough.

Yeah, that's the big issue. We are pretty vulnerable at DE and we're hitching our wagon to Gregory and Smith doing something. A strategy based on hope and well wishes generally doesn't work out well.

Paradox

Reaction score
That logic doesn't hold up, though. He hasn't been working on his game and competing at the highest level in 5 years. Human beings don't age like wine, we age like vinegar. Even if he has been doing drills and getting his body in shape, there's no way to tell that he can even compete in the NFL anymore, especially with a limited offseason.

Believe me, I know. But I felt great at 30 because I didn't play in the NFL, It is a human man's physical prime under normal circumstances.

Off topic, but even old people can do amazing things. Foreman knocked out Michael Moore at age 45 to become heavyweight champ.

Yeah, that's the big issue. We are pretty vulnerable at DE and we're hitching our wagon to Gregory and Smith doing something. A strategy based on hope and well wishes generally doesn't work out well.

Can't disagree there. The good news is Gregory can just keep smoking like he never did anything wrong. He smoked in college and was great back then. I don't care if he takes a joint on the field with him, as long as he pressures the QB and doesn't get into his 3-point stance over the LOS.