Alex Smith's contract and Dak's next contract

exciter

Reaction score
There weren't any quarterbacks that were available for the Commanders to sign that won in the playoffs. They let go of Cousins who couldn't get it done, and he was probably the best QB we've seen hit free agency in years, and he's not even that great. When you're trying to please your fanbase you can't just have some minimum salary unknown QB.

Like in Dak's case I guarantee if we let him walk some other team will pay him that kind of money.
Let them!

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Let them!

and your alternative plan until 2020 which is the next time we have a 1st round pick?

Just because you pay Dak doesn't mean you pay Dak all guaranteed money.

Some of you may as well face facts we're not cutting bait with Dak. There's no alternative plan.

exciter

Reaction score
and your alternative plan until 2020 which is the next time we have a 1st round pick?

Just because you pay Dak doesn't mean you pay Dak all guaranteed money.

Some of you may as well face facts we're not cutting bait with Dak. There's no alternative plan.
There is a whole season and a half before we have to worry about paying Dak. Hes shown nothing to this point to warrant another contract much less one averaging in the mid 20s millions. Its looking like they've decided to ride out his rookie contract. Unless there is dramatic improvement which everything so far points to him being able to achieve, then it's time to move on. This will not be the last NFL draft nor the last one with QBs!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I do think we might get Dak around 25Mpy but I hold a better evaluation of him then yours. Thats just our opinions so lets see.

You may well be right...

but, for this fan, I'm paying attention to contracts for Lawrence, Irving, et all...first.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alex Smith signed a 4 year, $94,000,000 contract with the Washington Commanders, including a $27,000,000 signing bonus, $71,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $23,500,000.

That is the cost of a game manager. Dak at his absolute best is pretty much Alex Smith. Andy Reid had Alex Smith and decided to aggressively trade up for Mahomes. Unfortunately I don't think the Cowboys are intelligent and courageous enough to do something similar. If they were intelligent enough to be proactive then they would have traded up 2 spots for Wentz. The Cowboys re-signing Dak and screwing this franchise for the next 5 years is inevitable. Dak will be an effective game manger again with Cooper.

You’re right.

This is bad times right now for Cowboys fans.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
We saw Dak at his best already. 13-3, 11 wins in a row, MVP candidate. Top 3 in QB rating. Ill take that all day long. But its obvious we need a great line for him to play like that. Which we would need anyway to win a SB.
You Prescott family members are ridiculous. He isn't giving y'all a cut stop it. We've saw this many times before from many qb's. In the words of Jay Z "you had a spark when you started now you're just garbage". Hope I'm wrong for my trash talking to friends sake but I honeslty doubt it.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Look at what James Connor is doing in Buffalo. The Steelers made the right decision by not giving Bell a big contract.
Truth is outside of a few qb's you can do that for any position using this logic but most won't do it at QB.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The thing with the Chiefs dumping Smith and getting Mahomes is that Andy Reid is probably the best QB coach in a generation. Look how far he took Donovan McNabb, look how he got Michael Vick a second $100 million contract out of prison and had him playing him better than he ever did in Atlanta. Heck, he even managed to finesse a second rounder for freaking Kevin Kolb.

Mahomes is undeniably talented, but he was about as raw as fresh sushi coming out of Tech. You have him spending a year with Reid and then having Reid et al tailoring their offense for him, vs having a year being coached by Kellen Moore and having Linehan square-peg him into his offense, and you are going have dramatically different outcomes.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i always thought Smith was somewhat underrated. The teams he's on usually wins, in the regular season at least. Playoffs not so much.
he's a career bus driver who's never really led a team to much as far as i can see.

but hey - bradford got cut. maybe we can pay him millions for 3 games and 2 seasons of disappointment.

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak deserves to be paid in the bottom #20-32 starting quarterbacks in the league. Unfortunately, Lizard face is going to pay him top 3 money.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dak deserves to be paid in the bottom #20-32 starting quarterbacks in the league. Unfortunately, Lizard face is going to pay him top 3 money.
is Kirk a top QB?
Jimmy Garoppolo?
Matthew Stafford?
Derek Carr?
their the top paid QB's in NFL, its market driven