All I know is... The Cowboys can play with the Pats

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
All I know is, if we play them again, Terence Newman MUST be on Welker, double up where ever Moss lines up, and let the other corner play single coverage, then blitz the fire out of Brady.

burmafrd

Reaction score
We are the only team to come back on them and lead in the second half. We are the only team that made them work and sweat. And that was after all our mistakes. AND with key players out and injured.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Id love to play the Pats again and I agree with a lot thats said in this thread but lets just win 1 playoff game 1st.

Ill be happy if we can do that. Plus the style of football we play can get you beat quick in the playoffs if you make mistakes.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Up to this point the best team the Patriots have played are the Cowboys.

The Cowboys had double digit penalties in that game. Although I somewhat agree with Phil Simms, when he opined that an individual will normally commit more penalties when playing an opponent that is better than he is.

The Cowboys also had the luxury of playing the Patriots at Texas Stadium. Nothing but conjecture, but the margin of victory may have been greater if the game is played at Gillette Stadium.

- Mike G.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Tony Romo coming into the Patriots game was at the lowest confidence level in his starting career IMO. I will gladly take them on in the Super Bowl if we make it there!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1734090 said:
Re-watch that game though and you will see Randy Moss come within a whisker of 2 more TD catches in the 2nd half. I re-watched it a few days after the game and realized we were thoroughly dominated. Now, would Henry and Tank have made a difference? Who knows, but their defense throttled Romo and our offense as the 2nd half played out, so I don't know if those 2 players would have made that much difference.

I thought the '99 Rams and the '94 Niners were 2 of the best offenses I had ever seen, but this Pats offense makes it look like they are playing against college teams. It's unreal.

I'm as big a Cowboy fan as anyone, and have been since the Ice Bowl, but I don't look forward to a re-match with that bunch. It could be worse in a SB and that would be sickening to endure.

There's no question they are better than us and played better than us for the majority of that game, but we were in it and had Barber's 4th and 1 run not got called back for holding, we might have tied it again at 31 or at least kicked a FG to make it 31-27...the wind kinda came out of our sails after that holding call on Kosier

David

burmafrd

Reaction score
Some of those calls were total BS. Had NOTHING to do with the quality of the opponent and EVERYTHING to do with the QUALITY of the refs.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
burmafrd;1734461 said:
We are the only team to come back on them and lead in the second half. We are the only team that made them work and sweat. And that was after all our mistakes. AND with key players out and injured.

Did you see Belichick on the sidelines talking to his LB's and showing them plays and telling them what to do? He was coaching and treating our game like a playoff game.

Point being... they played their A-GAME... we saw their best.

They didnt see ours.... and we still hung in there.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need 3 decent corners AND the ability to keep their running game from going nutzoid in order to keep the Pat's offense from putting 30+ on the board.

I'm not that overwhelmed by their defense. They have a nice defensive line. I think their linebackers, while incredibly savvy aren't the most athletic on the planet. I think their secondary is average at best.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1734090 said:
Re-watch that game though and you will see Randy Moss come within a whisker of 2 more TD catches in the 2nd half. I re-watched it a few days after the game and realized we were thoroughly dominated. Now, would Henry and Tank have made a difference? Who knows, but their defense throttled Romo and our offense as the 2nd half played out, so I don't know if those 2 players would have made that much difference.

I thought the '99 Rams and the '94 Niners were 2 of the best offenses I had ever seen, but this Pats offense makes it look like they are playing against college teams. It's unreal.

I'm as big a Cowboy fan as anyone, and have been since the Ice Bowl, but I don't look forward to a re-match with that bunch. It could be worse in a SB and that would be sickening to endure.

We were also a hair away from cleaning Brady's clock on at least 4 other sack opportunities. I mean, a step away. That goes both ways IMO. I've re-watched that game several times and I do believe we can beat that team. Not saying we will but I am saying that I believe we have a realalistice chance of beating them if we see them again.

twa

Reaction score
burmafrd;1734461 said:

Yep, and the only team I've seen get to Brady this year.

Naturally they get the nod as a better team,but we can play with the big dogs and win with a good game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Of course we can play with them, if the playing field is even. and the refs are actually calling a fair game...

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
khiladi;1734859 said:
Of course we can play with them, if the playing field is even. and the refs are actually calling a fair game...

We can't throw in the "if's", "and's", and "but's"........The thing that really separated them from us is talent. I'm not necessarily talking about starting talent, but I am talking about depth. The Pats have drafted really well over the last five years compared to us. So what we had some key players out, but it's not the Pats fault. We need other players in the back up role to step up, but unfortunately those players were:

Hurd
Nate Jones
Jacquez Reeves
Remi Aoydele
Ratliff

How could we possibly have high expectations on these players to fill in? This along with the self-inflicting wounds of penalties is why we couldn't compete......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1734869 said:
We can't throw in the "if's", "and's", and "but's"........The thing that really separated them from us is talent. I'm not necessarily talking about starting talent, but I am talking about depth. The Pats have drafted really well over the last five years compared to us. So what we had some key players out, but it's not the Pats fault. We need other players in the back up role to step up, but unfortunately those players were:

Hurd
Nate Jones
Jacquez Reeves
Remi Aoydele
Ratliff

How could we possibly have high expectations on these players to fill in? This along with the self-inflicting wounds of penalties is why we couldn't compete......

We definetely competed.

For all the things you can factor into that game I say we played them really tough.

It could work in our favor down the road if we have to play them again.

Also dont look now but the Chargers I think could give the Patriots all they can handle when the playoffs come around.

khiladi

Reaction score
With our lack of talen, we forced Bellichek to bring in another tight-end to protect Brady. Bellichek went max-protect against us in the second-half, and they also started going for Demarcus Ware's knees... They are a dirty team that gets away with plenty of nonsense. I don't care about the former aspect, but I surely care about the latter.

Even then, we moved the ball on them, scoring our first two possessions, and we forced Brady into going 3 and out. It was only when they got good field-position on their kick-off return did they score on the drive where Randy Moss got the basolutely B.S. PI call. Dallas defense pretty much forced them into a field goal, despite the good starting field position the Patriots had. Even when they scored again, TO caught the ball that put Dallas in mid-field and would have clearly given us more TOP. But they called another nonsense call.

I am saying we could have beat them with our talent at game-time provided the refs called it fair. They didn't...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
YoMick;1734095 said:
Not true. We were in the game. It was competitive. The Skins cant say as much. No team can say as much to date.

Our loss was different than the Skins loss.

The lowly Bills, Vikes and Dolphins were also competitive with us. And they are bad and they lost.

I am not saying we are bad defensively, but we need lots of help in the secondary and we need to get to the QB more often.

Save the cockiness for the playoffs and let's hope we get to the Super Bowl and play the Colts instead.

khiladi

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1734908 said:
The lowly Bills, Vikes and Dolphins were also competitive with us. And they are bad and they lost.

I am not saying we are bad defensively, but we need lots of help in the secondary and we need to get to the QB more often.

Save the cockiness for the playoffs and let's hope we get to the Super Bowl and play the Colts instead.

The difference is the lowly Bills and Vikings were handed the ball by Tony Romo or Patrick Crayton. It was our own mistakes that made the games close. That is a sign of youth, more so lack of talent. The maturity is how Dallas overcame these mistakes.

BTW, the Bills have played a lot of close games.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
CATCH17;1734878 said:
We definetely competed.

For all the things you can factor into that game I say we played them really tough.

It could work in our favor down the road if we have to play them again.

Also dont look now but the Chargers I think could give the Patriots all they can handle when the playoffs come around.

Sorry the compete thing was sarcasm (you know, we were written off by analysts before the game started)......My point with that is we gave a good show but came up short because we are not as talented in the reserve.....

burmafrd

Reaction score
Reserves? That is not a real problem. Depth is not a real problem. Our starters against their starters: we are competitive. I do not care who you are- if your top 2 CBs and your arguably best WR are out of the game it HURTS.
Their OLD LBs will wear down between now and the SB. THAT is their weakness.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
burmafrd;1734955 said:
Reserves? That is not a real problem. Depth is not a real problem. Our starters against their starters: we are competitive. I do not care who you are- if your top 2 CBs and your arguably best WR are out of the game it HURTS.
Their OLD LBs will wear down between now and the SB. THAT is their weakness.

IMO it's a problem because without Glenn, they had a better WR corps....our secondary compared to theirs without Henry was another advantage for them......that's why in my original post I said no "ifs", "ands", or "buts".....we can't dwell on that because our role players didn't step up........