CFZ All in- When your FO is more worried about the cap than winning a championship

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I get what you are saying and I don't disagree with the message, however, not signing Wagner was not the reason this team failed. We could have signed the Bobby Wagner at every position on D and we would have still been sitting at home come the NFC title game and SB. So knowing it doesn't matter who they sign, the result will be the same, just go with the cheaper guy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you are saying and I don't disagree with the message, however, not signing Wagner was not the reason this team failed. We could have signed the Bobby Wagner at every position on D and we would have still been sitting at home come the NFC title game and SB. So knowing it doesn't matter who they sign, the result will be the same, just go with the cheaper guy.
Maybe. Obviously there are never any guarantees. But by not signing quality FAs like Wagner, you have no realistic shot either. These guys barely try.

When your FO is truly more worried about the cap than winning a championship, you have the wrong front office.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Problem I have with the team is the inability to handle negotiations with all players. Doesn’t matter if it’s our own guys or outside FA’s, there always seems to be a serious disconnect. It’s like our FO has an entitled attitude, and it ends up costing us in the end.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah there was a different vibe on the defense last year, I think Quinn decided he was out after the season and the effect on the defense from the previous years was evident. Im very disappointed we have McCarthy and Quinn is gone, I fear we'll find that out against the Washington comodes.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The most frustrating part is that Wagner is exactly the bargain the Cowboys normally would have looked for, and they whiffed.

I get not trading a 2nd and 5th for Roquan, but not picking up Bobby Wagner at a value? What are they even doing?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Wagner should have dropped his asking price by that $500K. :laugh:

Still if all that is 100% true, the FO knowing the risk of LVE's injury history. Yeah they blew it for that little of a difference in the contract.
And now what does the FO do. They released LVE therefore his cap hit is much more, as if he just retired before he was released. Another stupid thing this FO does.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Wagner wouldn't have been the difference, no. But the team's unwillingness to sign quality players in FA is definitely stunting the team

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Joneses problem is not money. They have it in bushels. One of their main issues is mismanagement of the team's salary cap. What good is having money to throw at possible free agents and keeping core players if you are incapable of smartly spreading it around both short and long-term to your benefit?

exciter

Reaction score
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.
Hmmm … we played Seattle last year. Anyone paying any sort of attention noticed the analyst spent 3 or 4 minutes discussing Wagner ad nauseum. Basically what they said is he’s still a descent run player but a major liability in coverage. Seattle finished 30th in total defense last season according to Fox sports. What’s more, they were 31st vs the run giving up 138 ypg. That was with Leonard Williams and Jarran Reed playing in the middle for him along with one of FAs most coveted LBs this year playing next to him. Both of which people on this board have fawned over at some point. Meanwhile we finished 5th in overall defense and 16th vs the run 116 ypg all while Marquise Bell was getting trucked.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmmm … we played Seattle last year. Anyone paying any sort of attention noticed the analyst spent 3 or 4 minutes discussing Wagner ad nauseum. Basically what they said is he’s still a descent run player but a major liability in coverage. Seattle finished 30th in total defense last season according to Fox sports. What’s more, they were 31st vs the run giving up 138 ypg. That was with Leonard Williams and Jarran Reed playing in the middle for him along with one of FAs most coveted LBs this year playing next to him. Both of which people on this board have fawned over at some point. Meanwhile we finished 5th in overall defense and 16th vs the run 116 ypg all while Marquise Bell was getting trucked.
Don't give facts, they can't handle it, as it does not meet their narratives and agendas. :muttley:

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
We don’t do facts around here, bro.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

100%. they are not about winning championships. it can't get any clearer than that. its about increasing franchise value. there is no denying that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most frustrating part is that Wagner is exactly the bargain the Cowboys normally would have looked for, and they whiffed.

I get not trading a 2nd and 5th for Roquan, but not picking up Bobby Wagner at a value? What are they even doing?
Exactly. If this FO believes as they have said over and over, why don’t they make a move like Wagner to get us over the rim?

If these guys truly are serious about a championship and they are close, why not go for it? My belief is they really don’t know what they are doing in the cap era.

John813

Reaction score
Few random thoughts.

Dallas likes their guys. I'm sure if LVE didn't want to stay or got a higher offer they could of seriously considered Wagner and his price tag. However, LVE took their offer and that was that.

Seattle has struggled vs the run under their DC, who has been their DC since 2022.

Last year weeks 1-8 Seattle was playing great vs the run.
Allowed 3.3 YPC(designed runs, explosive runs only 5.7 of the time(12th lowest)).
No rusher over 70 yards.

After the Ravens game it all went downhill.

Seems like they lost a key edge player in Nwosu in week 7. That was a large reason they traded for L. Williams mid season.
Their replacement for Nwosu struggled and they kicked out Dre'Mont Jones to end.
Frank Clark/rookie Hall failed to provide proper edge support. Clark was cut during the season.

I also read that Seattle under Hurts have had issues with gap integrity. Was it a personnel issue or bad coaching/adjustments?

Don't think Wagner would of been the X-Factor, however, having him out there instead of Bell or limiting snaps of Clark would of been better than what we saw at times.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

All great stuff Bob!!

Im beginning to think part of the reason we don’t like pursuing proven or big names in FA is because it’s difficult for them to adjust in our dysfunctional and toxic atmosphere.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Few random thoughts.

Dallas likes their guys. I'm sure if LVE didn't want to stay or got a higher offer they could of seriously considered Wagner and his price tag. However, LVE took their offer and that was that.

Seattle has struggled vs the run under their DC, who has been their DC since 2022.

Last year weeks 1-8 Seattle was playing great vs the run.
Allowed 3.3 YPC(designed runs, explosive runs only 5.7 of the time(12th lowest)).
No rusher over 70 yards.

After the Ravens game it all went downhill.

Seems like they lost a key edge player in Nwosu in week 7. That was a large reason they traded for L. Williams mid season.
Their replacement for Nwosu struggled and they kicked out Dre'Mont Jones to end.
Frank Clark/rookie Hall failed to provide proper edge support. Clark was cut during the season.

I also read that Seattle under Hurts have had issues with gap integrity. Was it a personnel issue or bad coaching/adjustments?

Don't think Wagner would have been the X-Factor, however, having him out there instead of Bell or limiting snaps of Clark would have been better than what we saw at times.
Can we agree Wagner would have been than LVE or Marquese Bell? Wagner would not fix all the run defense problems but he would have certainly made it better.