CFZ All in- When your FO is more worried about the cap than winning a championship

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.
This FO is truly souring me to the team overall… it’s difficult be a fan of a team that isn’t trying to win but has convinced themselves they are. It’s pathetic.

CCBoy

Reaction score
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.
Since Tex Schram, no one has dominated the NFL as thoroughly until Wall Street and the Banking Business collapsed and Murchison had to sell and save face.

That is when Jerry Jones was allowed to purchase a team losing a $1M a month from Bum Bright.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Most organizations would have replaced LVE some time ago. Belichick would have ditched him as soon as his reliability went down.

They do too little too late and their MO is reactive Instead of proactive......please either sell the team or be a TRUE executive and hire an experienced GM.
Yep, the adage is act a year early rather than a year too late. This inability to evaluate, or project worth is one of Jerry's biggest failings, "liking our own" is an easy option....just throw money at the issue (until the CAP needs paying).

Yep, get a professional GM who needs to make footballing decisions.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Yes, but GB beat us by in the air, not on the ground, something like 185 yards in the air in the 1st half. I would argue that the main issue is that Jerry focus's on the elite side of the game and relies on JAG's to round out the roster.

Yes, I get the correlation between the CAP and ALL-IN (AND THAT JERRY's EXTREMELY RISK AVERSE), but when do we go ALL-IN, we tend to say it without actually working through the specifics. Indeed, the closest we're come (on PRE-SEASON, EXPECTATION) was this time last year.....then you yourself mention the issue with our Run-Defense was poor, (when the Secondary was more of a causal link to losing vrs GB play-off game), and Dak and the Offense's inability to come back from a deficit is widely commented upon.

This isnt supporting Jerry's management (in any way), but when do we go ALL-IN. Easy to say, just do it, but you need to be certain, because there's a price to pay. There's a train of thought (WHICH WE'LL NOW PROBABLY NEVER KNOW), that the way Jerry restructured Dak's contract, the intention was to extend.....and i'll die on the hill that he wanted an incremental improvement and MAY WELL of gone ALL-IN behind the cheaper years of Dak's contract. But we'll probably never know BECAUSE YOU CANT GO ALL-IN (ON A PAIR) WHEN THERE's SO MANY HOLES (cap's for emphasis).

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Funny the last two teams that Bobby was on missed the playoffs. The year before he came both made the playoffs. Bobby is a linebacker which is basically the running back of the defense.

Aven8

Reaction score
It’s all Stephen’s fault. He’s got to go…..

shabazz

Reaction score
Yep, the adage is act a year early rather than a year too late. This inability to evaluate, or project worth is one of Jerry's biggest failings, "liking our own" is an easy option....just throw money at the issue (until the CAP needs paying).

Yep, get a professional GM who needs to make footballing decisions.
When we start to see REAL qbs drafted BEFORE needing one it will be the evidence that there's a new correct way of doing business here....that's just one example

ArtClink

Reaction score
I believe one can be concerned equally with the cap and winning simultaneously. The premise is a fallacy, a common theme with this OP.
But Jones is not interested in winning unless it's under very specific circumstances (i.e., he gets all the credit). If he really wanted to win, he's fire everyone named Jones and hire real football minds to run the organization.

ArtClink

Reaction score
When we start to see REAL qbs drafted BEFORE needing one it will be the evidence that there's a new correct way of doing business here....that's just one example
Exactly. Aikman was our last QB drafted in the 1st round lol. It's not like it's an important position.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but GB beat us by in the air, not on the ground, something like 185 yards in the air in the 1st half. I would argue that the main issue is that Jerry focus's on the elite side of the game and relies on JAG's to round out the roster.

Yes, I get the correlation between the CAP and ALL-IN (AND THAT JERRY's EXTREMELY RISK AVERSE), but when do we go ALL-IN, we tend to say it without actually working through the specifics. Indeed, the closest we're come (on PRE-SEASON, EXPECTATION) was this time last year.....then you yourself mention the issue with our Run-Defense was poor, (when the Secondary was more of a causal link to losing vrs GB play-off game), and Dak and the Offense's inability to come back from a deficit is widely commented upon.

This isnt supporting Jerry's management (in any way), but when do we go ALL-IN. Easy to say, just do it, but you need to be certain, because there's a price to pay. There's a train of thought (WHICH WE'LL NOW PROBABLY NEVER KNOW), that the way Jerry restructured Dak's contract, the intention was to extend.....and i'll die on the hill that he wanted an incremental improvement and MAY WELL of gone ALL-IN behind the cheaper years of Dak's contract. But we'll probably never know BECAUSE YOU CANT GO ALL-IN (ON A PAIR) WHEN THERE's SO MANY HOLES (cap's for emphasis).
GB beat us last Jan through the run game AND the air. And most of the damage was done in the first half. Aaron Jones rushed for 118 yards on 21 carries, avg 5.6 yds per rush. Jordan Love had 270 yds passing in basically 3 qtrs. The pack had drives of 12 plays for 75 yards and 12 plays for 93 yards in the first half. It was 27-7 at half.

Our defense was absolutely horrible vs the pack. And throw in 2 Dak interceptions and GB had a completely dominant day.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
GB beat us last Jan through the run game AND the air. And most of the damage was done in the first half. Aaron Jones rushed for 118 yards on 21 carries, avg 5.6 yds per rush. Jordan Love had 270 yds passing in basically 3 qtrs. The pack had drives of 12 plays for 75 yards and 12 plays for 93 yards in the first half. It was 27-7 at half.

Our defense was absolutely horrible vs the pack. And throw in 2 Dak interceptions and GB had a completely dominant day.
But the game was over at half time. At which point we'd conceded something like:
185 yards in the air
35 on the ground.
Apportioning a disproportionate amount of responsibility on the run defense imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Funny the last two teams that Bobby was on missed the playoffs. The year before he came both made the playoffs. Bobby is a linebacker which is basically the running back of the defense.
That simply shows that one player, aside from QB, does not make or break the team. That doesn't say anything about Bobby or the LB position.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This FO is truly souring me to the team overall… it’s difficult be a fan of a team that isn’t trying to win but has convinced themselves they are. It’s pathetic.
It's why I am an admitted Cowboys Grouch. The JonesBoys have placed me in the paradoxical position of hating my favorite team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
But Jones is not interested in winning unless it's under very specific circumstances (i.e., he gets all the credit). If he really wanted to win, he's fire everyone named Jones and hire real football minds to run the organization.
the-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
This is 100% accurate.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's why I am an admitted Cowboys Grouch. The JonesBoys have placed me in the paradoxical position of hating my favorite team.
I know exactly how you feel and it angers me also.

People ask why I’m here….I need the damn support group.

If it were that easy to switch teams this would never be debated. It’s in fact impossible.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I don’t like defending Jerry. He’s made a mess of the last 30 years but he didn’t say ”All In” the way you guys wanted him to. I mean come on Bob, it’s Jerry. What he did mean, and has failed to do, is go ”All In” on signing his free agents. Still have time before the season. So Jerry’s mismanaged the organization for sure as far as winning Super Bowls but to blatantly misquote him and what he meant, is disingenuous.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So because the Cowboys haven’t won anything in 30 years, you hate them? I suggest you find another hobby if it affects you to hate. Hate breeds more hate and you’ll end up like all the haters here. Bitter, angry and always hateful.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Can we agree Wagner would have been than LVE or Marquese Bell? Wagner would not fix all the run defense problems but he would have certainly made it better.
He also could have potentially taught guys how to lead. Intangibles.

I suppose guys like Lamb and Parsons are supposed to figure out how to lead on their own because they will get big paydays in a year or two….or is that something this FO even considers?

Is Lawrence (Mr Tired) supposed to be that leader? Yeah he can teach them how to threaten a holdout and tell rookies not to pay attention to the head coach because Jerry is the man.

That’s not Lawrence’s fault, it’s Jerry’s, and he is probably aware and his ego loves it that way. All while not bothering to recognize that a HC would have extreme difficulty succeeding without the full respect of the locker room.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t like defending Jerry. He’s made a mess of the last 30 years but he didn’t say ”All In” the way you guys wanted him to. I mean come on Bob, it’s Jerry. What he did mean, and has failed to do, is go ”All In” on signing his free agents. Still have time before the season. So Jerry’s mismanaged the organization for sure as far as winning Super Bowls but to blatantly misquote him and what he meant, is disingenuous.
I knew what he didn’t mean right away. I didn’t expect them to go wild in free agency. He meant they would clear the cap space needed to improve now as opposed to worrying about dead money later on.

The question I have is why did he say that, only to do about the exact opposite? Are him and the kid not on the same page? If so, not good.

Another clue may be what Jerry said during that same interview….”we want to extend Dak but he has to work with us.” Meaning…they expect some sort of discount. Did they not even inquire? Doubtful. They probably spoke with France and were told to pound sand. That’s just France doing his job, it’s not about greedy Dak…and don’t discount that Dak may want to keep his own options open and stop taking blame for it all when management blames your contract for not being able to improve.

The inability to rework a deal with Dak may have changed some plans. Tough to say, we all are just guessing. Although if they need to pay him a top of the market deal to keep him, may as well make him assume the injury risk for this season.

I have a very tough time believing that they are going to let Prescott walk and essentially go into 5-6 win mode voluntarily.

The next move is probably very much tied to how Lance looks in preseason/camp. Further complicating that is even if that goes well, you’re asking him to learn yet another offense if they don’t retain McCarthy.

I think Prescott returns for another 3-4 years at a number slightly under the top paid QBs. Jerry will feel vindicated from the last round and Prescott can keep his endorsements and his home.