CFZ All in- When your FO is more worried about the cap than winning a championship

Quickdraw

Reaction score
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.
That could be the case, but I also think he is sometimes too loyal to players and coaches and forgets it's a business; and winning is the business.

Plankton

Reaction score
00-s1RU9z0YAKuOn_Dn1CghLE03C7IAJkAzeqGM7OH5YUqwODrIStBS-9WLVJcOzvkAVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Can we agree Wagner would have been than LVE or Marquese Bell? Wagner would not fix all the run defense problems but he would have certainly made it better.
Wagner was the right move, just imagine if they got him last year on a 2 year deal, and then got henry this year on a 2 year deal,
right now this team would look a lot better. (and of course they not sign elliot if they got henry)
I think jerry wanted elliot instead of henry, so we will see how that works out.

CWR

Reaction score
“All in” to most normal people means you are willing to push your chips to the center of the table with some calculated risks in order to win a championship. Can anyone tell me that last time this organization did just that? I can’t.

Bobby Wagner publicly stated this week on the “Up and Adams” podcast that he wanted to join Dan Quinn in Dallas last year. I heard a ton of our fans say “Wagner didn’t want to sign here.” Not true. He did and he’s said it publicly now. Our front office just preferred LVE for less money.

Nothing exemplifies the frustrating philosophy and ham fisted approach this FO has with free agency than not being willing to sign future HOF LB Bobby Wagner last year. Instead, they chose to sign often injured LVE for…wait for it…..$500k less than Wagner. Why does that frustrate me? Wagner last year again placed all 17 games, and was All Pro. What was this defense‘s Achilles heel again? Stopping the run.

Imagine Bobby Wagner last year at 240 lbs stuffing RBs instead of watching 210 lb Marquese Bell getting trucked routinely because once again an often injured LVE was gone by October.

So in essence saving $500k was important enough to this FO instead of going for it. You can’t tell me that 2023 defense with Bobby Wagner would have been bulldozed by Buffalo’s running game or the packers in the playoffs.
We have two arrogant fools running the team. Despite constantly falling short and becoming a punch line for trolls they still have the utmost confidence in their approach.

That means one of 2 things imo.

1)they really are oblivious and incapable of learning from history.

or.....

2)they are more concerned with not being "bad" then they are with being "great." The cash cow keeps it rolling in and that is priority one period.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The less risks they take, the less chance they are exposed for the frauds they are.

I really and truly hope this is all about Jerry and his ego, which will eventually be gone, and the kid brings in actual qualified people to run football ops.

There’s enough for Stephen to run with the Cowboys and still feel like a big shot and make his billions.

If we don’t win, fine, but please can it be about football again at some point??

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I believe one can be concerned equally with the cap and winning simultaneously. The premise is a fallacy, a common theme with this OP.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I believe one can be concerned equally with the cap and winning simultaneously. The premise is a fallacy, a common theme with this OP.
At least the OP asks some interesting questions.. gives us some points to mull over.

Which is more than you (or I for that matter) do.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wagner doesn't play QB. He wouldn't have made a lick of a difference.
Well no, but a singing like Henry would keep the ball out of Dak's hands more often. If our coaching staff and front office was worth a dang, they'd do their best to get Dak back to how he played in 2016 and the second half of 2018.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Joneses problem is not money. They have it in bushels. One of their main issues is mismanagement of the team's salary cap. What good is having money to throw at possible free agents and keeping core players if you are incapable of smartly spreading it around both short and long-term to your benefit?
The team has made the playoffs 3 years in a row. I find it hard to attribute what has gone on with GB and SF to the cap. I don't think Bobby Wagner fixes that in any of those years.

plymkr

Reaction score
Can we agree Wagner would have been than LVE or Marquese Bell? Wagner would not fix all the run defense problems but he would have certainly made it better.
Yes. I true LBer would have been better than a safety/Lber hybrid. I don’t understand how this is even a discussion. Wagner would have been much more effective against the run than Bell.

Bell playing LB against the run makes as much sense as Pollard or Deuce playing FB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Turning that premise around, it's conceivable that 2024 was designed to be the ALL-IN year.....but you cant go ALL-IN 'on a pair' and the GB game changed a number of factors.

2023 was (for Jerry) the closest to ALL-IN he's been, for some time, and with Gilmore and Cooks (with Mazi drafted to further sure up the interior run defense). Indeed, the whole 2023 draft was for immediate need. We had, on paper, improved at all levels......and the FO would of expected an incremental improvement (maybe tempered, in-season, by Diggs/LVE injuries).

2024 was, by the very structure of the last Dak deal was designed, to see an extension .....on top money, allowing the bonus/salaries to be deferred and facilitating a further push.

It appears, with many of our fanbase, is that they want it (ALL-IN) and they want it now, when in reality, if you're going to do you need to be certain and GB showed we werent/arent close to being a team that you can supplement with an ALL-IN push.

The problem is I dont think Jerry's got the imagination to orchestrate the next couple of years.....when there's a distinct opportunity, if he plays the cards right, but that would mean moving off the 'SAME 'OLE.....competing in every year". Then again the fanbase wants it NOW, which in a way is pampering to Jerry's strategy.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Maybe. Obviously there are never any guarantees. But by not signing quality FAs like Wagner, you have no realistic shot either. These guys barely try.

When your FO is truly more worried about the cap than winning a championship, you have the wrong front office.
I suppose the FO were happy with Micah, LVE and the development of Damone at the start of the season. The more pertinent question is where were we at the trading deadline and what moves AT THAT POINT, would/should of been made.

Indeed, it wasnt the run defense that killed us vrs GB, they only conceded 35 (ish) yards by half time (by which time, the game was over).

cristglo

Reaction score

Its almost like they go into FA saying this is all we are going to spend now go get someone to fill the holes. lol
Whats so frustrating is that I know It will happen again this year and I will be the dummy again thinking this FO is gonna change somehow. I think Im worse than Charlie Brown.
Jerry is Pissed we lost at GB comes out saying All In We all know how that went Now saying we will pick up during final cuts who goes into the season like that?
What is the ultimatum here? Whats a good season in Jerry mind?

cnuball21

Reaction score

Our FO is the reason we haven’t gotten over the hump.

Roster is close and instead pushing the chips in we’ve gotten worse heading into this year/

shabazz

Reaction score
Only having LVE at MLB made zero sense.
Most organizations would have replaced LVE some time ago. Belichick would have ditched him as soon as his reliability went down.

They do too little too late and their MO is reactive Instead of proactive......please either sell the team or be a TRUE executive and hire an experienced GM.