All Mental team

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
Have you guys read Duane Thomas's autobiography? Good stuff. I read there how Brown was a big time mentor of his, but I hadn't gotten the hint that maybe he wasn't too much of a positive influence. Thats a good theory Juke, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was true.

I haven't read the book. I'd have to figure, if Brown was a big influence and one looks at the potential Thomas had (that was never realized) then Brown had to have had a hand in that...especially because he knew what it took to be a great NFL running back.

It's just a theory I've always had...which, in my eyes, is confirmed by the way Brown steps in when Thomas is being interviewed after the SB win over Miami.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LB - Brian Bosworth

i dont think he was mental but i mean, he did have the Boz attitude

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I agree, I felt like Brown sort of questioned his toughness and Thomas just sat there.

indeed...and when Brookshire would ask a question, Brown would answer for Thomas...I mean really, what kinda crap was that? That's not the behavior of a guy who had Thomas' best interests at heart.

Thomas was a VERY bright guy. I think he could have answered very well. In fact, he had the all time great answer to Brookshire's question about his speed. "Evidently"

Coincidental that back then the RB who Thomas was compared to most often was Jim Brown??? I really do think Brown played a large part in his demise.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
indeed...and when Brookshire would ask a question, Brown would answer for Thomas...I mean really, what kinda crap was that? That's not the behavior of a guy who had Thomas' best interests at heart.

Thomas was a VERY bright guy. I think he could have answered very well. In fact, he had the all time great answer to Brookshire's question his speed. "Evidently"

Coincidental that back then the RB who Thomas was compared to most often was Jim Brown??? I really do think Brown played a large part in his demise.
I don't buy many conspiracy theories but this one has sex appeal.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I don't buy many conspiracy theories but this one has sex appeal.

I also saw Brown on the grassy knoll.

:D

I dunno. I always found it curious that Brown was Thomas' mentor...and at times, mouthpiece. That Thomas was strikingly similar to Brown in his running style and often compared to him. That while Brown took care of himself and had a great NFL career, his mentoring at minimum, did nothing to prevent Thomas from crashing and burning.

And all of this took place within the framework of Brown's GIGANTIC ego.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Oh yeah he was def. smart. Supposedly he knew the assignment of each player on the field. He was real weird though, never responding when his name was called during role, really never talking period. If there was one thing though is he was smart, although he never put it to good use. Too bad Brown got in the way because he MIGHT have been the most talented RB to have ever come through these parts. Yes I said most talented.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Head Coach: Buddy Ryan

QB: Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George
RB: Onterrio Smith, Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ricky Williams
WR: TO, Rae Carruth
WR:Randy Moss, David Boston
TE: Kellen Winslow Jr.
OL: Kyle Turley, Nate Newton, Mark Stepnowski, Conrad Dobler

DL: Warren Sapp, Lyle Azzado, Alonzo Spelman, Demitrius Underwood, Matuzak
LB: Lawrence Taylor, Hollywood Henderson, Ted Hendricks, Bill Romanowski
SS: Sean Taylor

Kicker: Sebastian Janikowski

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
Oh yeah he was def. smart. Supposedly he knew the assignment of each player on the field. He was real weird though, never responding when his name was called during role, really never talking period. If there was one thing though is he was smart, although he never put it to good use. Too bad Brown got in the way because he MIGHT have been the most talented RB to have ever come through these parts. Yes I said most talented.

Tom Brookshire after the 95 yard rushing performance in the SB, asks Thomas "Are you really that fast?"

"Evidently"

Yep, he was bright.

The roll call deal was simple. He felt it was stupid to have to say "here" when his name was called by a coach who could plainly see that he was there.

The guy was a super talent. I don't know how much you saw of him. I have some DVD's of old games. He would just glide through defenses.

He was a 220 lb RB 35 years ago. A physical freak. And he was fast.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Tom Brookshire after the 95 yard rushing performance in the SB, asks Thomas "Are you really that fast?"

"Evidently"

Yep, he was bright.

The roll call deal was simple. He felt it was stupid to have to say "here" when his name was called by a coach who could plainly see that he was there.

The guy was a super talent. I don't know how much you saw of him. I have some DVD's of old games. He would just glide through defenses.

He was a 220 lb RB 35 years ago. A physical freak. And he was fast.
He was one of the best looking runners I've ever seen. No wasted motion.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
All I've seen is tapes from both my dad and grandpa and I am truly amazed. If only he could have put it all together. But when he attempted to play in other places (SD, Washington, Hawaii, second trip through Dallas) if im not mistaken, he still was nowhere near where he was his rookie year and such.

But im sure there are other examples of players who never could put it together, so its useless for us to live in the past.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
p1_thomas_si.jpg

Thomas.jpg

Thomas,Duane4.jpg

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
Wasn't he the first player to score in Texas Stadium's history? I may be wrong but thats something I think I remember from the book.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
All I've seen is tapes from both my dad and grandpa and I am truly amazed. If only he could have put it all together. But when he attempted to play in other places (SD, Washington, Hawaii, second trip through Dallas) if im not mistaken, he still was nowhere near where he was his rookie year and such.

But im sure there are other examples of players who never could put it together, so its useless for us to live in the past.

He played two seasons in Dallas. Although the starting HB position was promised to Calvin Hill, Landry got a tip about how good Thomas was and was told, "If you draft him, he'll be your starting HB"

Landy did and Thomas was.

And you are right, he was a shell of himself when he came back.

From what I recall, he was traded to New England for Carl Garrett...and then finally, when that trade was voided, for Mike Montgomery from SD.

And I LOVE living in the past. At least I know how the story ends. And I never misplace my keys or wallet

:)

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
I do remember that Landry brought him back after he played in Hawaii a few seasons later, but that he couldn't cut it and he wasn't signed. In SD he was even worse than here about the behavior stuff. Didn't he play in Wash. for a year?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
daboysin06 said:
I do remember that Landry brought him back after he played in Hawaii a few seasons later, but that he couldn't cut it and he wasn't signed. In SD he was even worse than here about the behavior stuff. Didn't he play in Wash. for a year?

Oddly both he and Calvin Hill ended up playing for the Commanders.

Dawgs0916

Will the Thrill
Reaction score
That is weird haha, was it both the same year? And about the TD in Texas Stadium thing, its pretty weird, I mean we'd expect it to be one of the faces of the franchises to be the first to score in the stadium, but no it was good ole' Duane Thomas.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Alonzo Spellman was sufferring from clinical depression. He wasn't just some misbehaved psycho who was intending to cause trouble. Clinical Depression is very much a physiological problem as much as it is a psychological one. Most people aren't aware they are clinically depressed and can experience bouts of rage. They go undiagnosed for years. I Spellman is now under medication and pretty normal.

A lot of people rip on Spellman thinking he was just some lunatic.