All of a sudden it's the front office's fault

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
It seemed like everyone here was excited about the hire of Mike McCarthy.

It seemed like everyone here loved the drafted players.

It seemed like everyone liked the free agency signings of McCoy, Poe, Aldon Smith, and Griffen. Even Ha Ha Clinton Dix and the new Swing Tackle.

Yet, here we are at 1-3 (should be 0-4) after some really ugly performances through 4 weeks.

This falls all on Mike McCarthy because he's the Head Coach. He is responsible for getting this team ready to play each week. And the 1-3 record indicates he isn't doing a good job at it so far. In fact, it indicates he's been terrible as a Head Coach.

He inherited a competitive team and the off season moves that were made were applauded by this board and even the media. But now it's the front office's fault.

Give me a break.

"All of a sudden"?????????

245c54d791ea33a5a860fe2c17d03e14.jpg

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
This falls all on Mike McCarthy because he's the Head Coach. He is responsible for getting this team ready to play each week. And the 1-3 record indicates he isn't doing a good job at it so far. In fact, it indicates he's been terrible as a Head Coach.

He inherited a competitive team and the off season moves that were made were applauded by this board and even the media. But now it's the front office's fault.

Give me a break.

One's opinion of the coach is inherently related to one's opinion of the roster. In your case, you believe he inherited a "competitive team", so the coaching (not talent), is responsible for the underperformance.

I hold the opinion that the roster had glaring weaknesses to begin with, and subsequently has been absolutely decimated by injuries. Ignoring injuries, I do blame the front office for a multitude of personnel mistakes, that has resulted in the fielding of a non-competitive roster.

This has been going on for a long time, as the self-appointed amateur tries to win his way.
We've gone through a lot of head coaches since the last Superbowl. At some point, it becomes clear that the roster, not coaching, is the issue- and the GM is to blame.

I will say this though- MM has made some horrible decisions, and has not had the team prepared. He does not inspire confidence!

plasticman

Reaction score

It seemed like everyone liked the free agency signings of McCoy, Poe, Aldon Smith, and Griffen. Even Ha Ha Clinton Dix and the new Swing Tackle.

Yet, here we are at 1-3 (should be 0-4) after some really ugly performances through 4 weeks.

Give me a break.
Don't count me among those who were excited about McCarthy. I have always maintained that he got a free ride in Green Bay, thanks to back to back QB legends.

And 25 years of this does not make it "sudden".

J12B

Reaction score
One's opinion of the coach is inherently related to one's opinion of the roster. In your case, you believe he inherited a "competitive team", so the coaching (not talent), is responsible for the underperformance.

I hold the opinion that the roster had glaring weaknesses to begin with, and subsequently has been absolutely decimated by injuries. Ignoring injuries, I do blame the front office for a multitude of personnel mistakes, that has resulted in the fielding of a non-competitive roster.

This has been going on for a long time, as the self-appointed amateur tries to win his way.
We've gone through a lot of head coaches since the last Superbowl. At some point, it becomes clear that the roster, not coaching, is the issue- and the GM is to blame.

I will say this though- MM has made some horrible decisions, and has not had the team prepared. He does not inspire confidence!

We can definitely agree on that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No one would deny the direct correlation between winning and having a top QB. Is that enough, though?
I don't believe that's enough....but I think you can also argue that for having the best quarterback in the NFL and possibly of all time......winning 1 ring may be considered underperforming.

CWR

Reaction score

Give me a break.

You're not lying brother. I freely admit the hypocrisy of being a fan, absolutely myself included. I think when we saw everything being put together, we assumed it was going to work well. The thing we didn't take in to account was learning a new defensive scheme on the fly, as well as a ton of injuries. Big part of the issue has been the positions hit by injuries. Most teams will have a tough time losing both their starting cbs, both offensive tackles and 2 starting lbs.

You're dead on balls accurate though in calling us out. Lol

J12B

Reaction score
You're not lying brother. I freely admit the hypocrisy of being a fan, absolutely myself included. I think when we saw everything being put together, we assumed it was going to work well. The thing we didn't take in to account was learning a new defensive scheme on the fly, as well as a ton of injuries. Big part of the issue has been the positions hit by injuries. Most teams will have a tough time losing both their starting cbs, both offensive tackles and 2 starting lbs.

You're dead on balls accurate though in calling us out. Lol

I liked most of those moves as well.

McCoy seemed like he could make an impact in the middle.

Aldon Smith was a low risk-high reward signing.

I didn't think Poe and Griffin was that big of a deal, but it was the front office making an effort to improve the dline get a pass rush and ultimately help the secondary, which I think everyone knew was going to be a question mark and most likely the weakest unit on the team.

It just seems to me the team is not executing on defense. The offense has made some undisciplined and costly turnovers which means they're not focused. All of that falls on the Head Coach.

This team should be performing better than they are, even with all the injuries.

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score

Give me a break.
Look up the responsibilities of any GM and rethink.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. All of a sudden you're going to blame the front office when it's clearly McCarthy's fault. Like it was Garrett's fault, and Wade's fault, and Parcells and Campo and Gailey and Switzer.

Quit jumping to conclusions on a front office after a mere quarter of a century! Place the blame where it belongs! Gosh!

Creeper

Reaction score
It is way too early to blame McCarthy especially since this team was 8-8 last year and performed miserably with fewer injuries. We have to wait and see what he does as the season progresses.

I never thought McCarthy was the best hire for the job. I only thought he would be better than Garrett. I specifically thought he would be better at game management than Garrett. So far I am not so sure given some of the weird decisions he has made already. But somewhere along the line the idea got planted that the Cowboys needed to take more risks, to go for it on 4th down and stuff like that. That's not what I was looking for.

My issue with the front office is not that they have not acquired good talent for this team. They have acquired quite a bit of talent. The problem I have is the mistakes they make in free agency, particularly signing players to damaging contracts after the player has one good year. We know who those players are. My issue is also how they favor certain positions over others and their priorities are backwards. I am not going to take you through the DLaw, Zeke and J Smith contracts again, you all know the deal.

The problem is, we have talked about the Cowboys weakness at DT and Safety for years. We see this defense go up against better offenses and get gashed badly. It is so obvious a 2nd grader can see it. And here we are still shuffling safeties because we really don't have one and we are relying on old, fat, Edgar Allan Poe to single-handedly dominate the interior DL. And he has to take himself out after a few plays to catch his breath and load up on carbs. If they are unwilling to sign a quality DT in free agency, fine, but then at least try and draft one at some point. Trying to fill the position with washed-up players and low draft picks is never going to yield a solid defense. As I posted in another thread, the Cowboys have not drafted a DT in the 1st round since 1991 when they took Russell Maryland.

What other team in the NFL does not value the DT position enough to not draft one in the first round in 20 years? This strategy is not working and at this point we have to admit it will never work. But the Cowboys front office continues to try to force the issue and now we have the worst defense in the history of the team.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is way too early to blame McCarthy especially since this team was 8-8 last year and performed miserably with fewer injuries. We have to wait and see what he does as the season progresses.

I never thought McCarthy was the best hire for the job. I only thought he would be better than Garrett. I specifically thought he would be better at game management than Garrett. So far I am not so sure given some of the weird decisions he has made already. But somewhere along the line the idea got planted that the Cowboys needed to take more risks, to go for it on 4th down and stuff like that. That's not what I was looking for.

My issue with the front office is not that they have not acquired good talent for this team. They have acquired quite a bit of talent. The problem I have is the mistakes they make in free agency, particularly signing players to damaging contracts after the player has one good year. We know who those players are. My issue is also how they favor certain positions over others and their priorities are backwards. I am not going to take you through the DLaw, Zeke and J Smith contracts again, you all know the deal.

The problem is, we have talked about the Cowboys weakness at DT and Safety for years. We see this defense go up against better offenses and get gashed badly. It is so obvious a 2nd grader can see it. And here we are still shuffling safeties because we really don't have one and we are relying on old, fat, Edgar Allan Poe to single-handedly dominate the interior DL. And he has to take himself out after a few plays to catch his breath and load up on carbs. If they are unwilling to sign a quality DT in free agency, fine, but then at least try and draft one at some point. Trying to fill the position with washed-up players and low draft picks is never going to yield a solid defense. As I posted in another thread, the Cowboys have not drafted a DT in the 1st round since 1991 when they took Russell Maryland.

What other team in the NFL does not value the DT position enough to not draft one in the first round in 20 years? This strategy is not working and at this point we have to admit it will never work. But the Cowboys front office continues to try to force the issue and now we have the worst defense in the history of the team.
Didn't you hear? Lamb was too good to pass up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaineBoy

Reaction score

Give me a break.

seems like this “all of a sudden” thing goes both ways huh: Mike McCarthy has been ignoring our need for decent safeties for 20 years, McCarthy also gave a big contract to Jaylon Smith even though he’s the worst LB in the NFL,...oh, and that darn Mike kept drafting injury prone players like Sean Lee and LVE who we used draft pics on but contribute absolutely nothing on the field...and then he gave Crawford another wasted contract...and had the gall to ignore the defensive tackle positions for 10 years...so this crazy McCarthy guy built a defense with no safeties, linebackers, or tackles. Give me a break. McCarthy has sucked, but not as bad or as long as this Front Office.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Give me a break.
You need a break. 1-3 is all about the Cowboy culture cultivated by JJ. He tells them and everyone else how great he, them and the Cowboys are. The players believe him and think just throwing their helmets out there that they win.

Techsass

Reaction score
Rodgers was his main reason for success.

The Packers had an NFC Championship game appearance last year with a new head coach and they are off to a great start this season at 4-0.
GB also actually got some defensive players after McCarthy left.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Give me a break.

So McCarthy gets 4 games yet Clappy got a dam decade?

Sorry bro, but the hypocrisy is thick enough to cut with a knife.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I think a lot of it’s Jerry’s fault for not realizing his mistakes and fixing them too late when he does.

When jimmy and Switzer left it was bad football until parcels. Then he held on to guys like Garret way to long.

Jerry never would let the team draft lineman. During the romo years that was a problem. Eventually got past it.

jerry would sign guys past they’re prime... or free agents who didn’t fit with the chemistry of the team.like the Pac-Mans and the tank Johnson’s. Eventually we got past that.

currently his problem is giving too much money to guys who maybe don’t deserve it. Signing them.... because if they got away and did. Enter elsewhere he couldn’t handle it. When in reality if the culture of this team was better maybe guys would be more motivated.

If he would have smartened up and done things right from the beginning... instead of piecing them together....we’d prob be a lot better now and over the past 25 years.

aria

Reaction score
I think it’s a combination of all of the above. Every year this team lets good players walk and fans say “he wasn’t worth it” or “he’s just a JAG”. Then almost every FA we sign to replace those players are automatic upgrades and will take us to the next level. Rarely does the latter happen, and many times it’s quite the opposite, we let good players walk and replace them with over hyped JAGS. As a result, this team is extremely over hyped every year until we play a good team and then reality sets in.

The FO also does a horrendous job at giving fat contracts to the wrong players and/or positions. I know some are still in denial about zeke but he is one, then Jaylon and Lawrence. What’s ironic is Jerrah signed Jaylon in spite of zeke holding out, he was raising his hand and saying “this is we we treat players that work with us” and he ended up caving anyways.

Then you have the coaching. It was time for Garrett to go but I don’t think he deserved near the blame he gets. Many times, including last year, he put the team in a position to win and the over hyped, over paid entitled divas on this team lost the game, not the coaching.

Enter McCarthy, “he’s a Super Bowl winning coach” “look at how many playoff games he’s won.” There were a few of us that were skeptical of his past record due to Aaron Rodgers. I’m not ready to call him a bust yet but he never impressed me as much as he did a lot of you.

So I think the fans are guilty of over hyping the players (I have been guilty myself), the FO is guilty of handing out bad contracts, and the coaches haven’t been all that and may not be all that.

Creeper

Reaction score
Didn't you hear? Lamb was too good to pass up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lamb was too good to pass up. Maybe they could have traded down, but at that point he was a clear steal. This was a good draft for 2nd and 3rd round players. Who knows what a trade down would have yielded, but maybe no one wanted to trade up for Lamb.