All of these DT signings, what does this tell us about Mazi Smith?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Nothing, something, or just providing depth! What are your thoughts on what they're doing?? Please give your thoughts

Why not just move Mazi to DE???
It seems overall Mazi has done a good job in camp with what he's been asked. We really haven't heard negative reports at all and on the opposite side we've heard he's done a good job, but nothing that jumps off the charts good.

At this point I see him taking 30-40% of the snaps and think Zimmer feels he needed more guys capable in the rotation.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It means they want a stronger DT rotation. These latest 3 coming in, are older, and maybe a rotation to keep them fresh.
exactly. I don't think they signed LJ or JP because of anything they saw in Mazi. Like you said, it was just done to make the room better at DT. I like the rotation now and that includes Mazi. I can envision this working well for a year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need bodies at DT.
And part of that IS because of Mazi and losing Hankins

Mazi did not do well last year.
So far in camp and preseason he will have some decent plays but also acts like he is lost or checked out on other players.

And if Zimmer and the cowboys want to stop the run...they need big bodies in the middle to help stop the run and free up the LBs some.

All of these older DTs they have brought in will be rotation. Rotating these players will help out. Also frees up Golston to work more at DE depth.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems overall Mazi has done a good job in camp with what he's been asked. We really haven't heard negative reports at all and on the opposite side we've heard he's done a good job, but nothing that jumps off the charts good.

At this point I see him taking 30-40% of the snaps and think Zimmer feels he needed more guys capable in the rotation.
Broaddus and a few others have said he has been very inconsistent. Making some plays and then either being lost or looking like he is gassed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Broaddus and a few others have said he has been very inconsistent. Making some plays and then either being lost or looking like he is gassed.
Wonder exactly what these guys do during the summer just eat all day

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well. It doesn’t instill confidence in Mazi.

That being said. If Mazi was the next Vince Wilfork the depth at DT was absolutely horrific prior to signing Joseph and getting Jordan Phillips.

You need AT LEAST 4 good DT’s.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It means nothing. It means they want a strong rotation.
This Mazi hate is out of control by those that do not understand football.

That it my thoughts and correct thoughts.
your opinion is worth no more than anyone elses here
anytime someone tries to claim their opinions are any more than that, means they know nothing

Rayman70

Reaction score
this is GOOD for Mazi. While this might show Mazi has much work to do, it should give him the time he needs to get better. I also think this was done to light a fire under him. Some players need that, at all levels. All this being said, Mazi will be on a short leash. They will fully expect big things from him by years end and heading into 2025.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Nothing. The Cowboys lost DL's in FA and we were all screaming for Jerry to be more active in FA and draft to get some. Now he finally is.

Remember, these players aren't guaranteed a roster spot and aren't necessarily a long term solution like hopefully Mazi is.

I'm still in favor of another DL early in next Aprils draft.

I'm going to completely ignore the Mazi to DE comment. Good grief.
Probably bumped one of the earlier DT signings off the roster. I don't think Huggins got any guaranteed money.

rambo2

Reaction score
Nothing, something, or just providing depth! What are your thoughts on what they're doing?? Please give your thoughts

Why not just move Mazi to DE???
They are getting the dline help they need. The depth they need. And they aren't done. They can trade a defensive back for another dlineman.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Nothing. The Cowboys lost DL's in FA and we were all screaming for Jerry to be more active in FA and draft to get some. Now he finally is.

Remember, these players aren't guaranteed a roster spot and aren't necessarily a long term solution like hopefully Mazi is.

I'm still in favor of another DL early in next Aprils draft.

I'm going to completely ignore the Mazi to DE comment. Good grief.
Mazi got stalled in the lame attempt to make him a 3T, there are idiots in this world at high paying positions in life, and the NFL has plenty of overpaid and under educated evaluators.
Q might have built our back seven, but he did nothing to jumpstart Mazi, and neither did Mazi.
I'm really concerned with Mazi at this point, I hope I'm just overreacting, but I see what I see.

plasticman

Reaction score
"Naw, Mazi, you're doing fine. No worries! The fact that we are willing to raid retirement homes to find someone better shouldn't concern you one bit."