All of these DT signings, what does this tell us about Mazi Smith?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
There are 3 large DT's now and a rushing strength in Ozi.

This, I am good also. They are actually trying with the push from Zimmerman, before they were just putting a band aid over a gunshot wound and thinking that would work.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Mazi was long term we wouldn't need them maybe only 1
This is how I see it. If Mazi was really anything they would have only picked up the one. Instead they went for two because I think there’s a real chance the staff has realized that Mazi can’t play.

You don’t see Dallas making multiple moves at a position where they know they’ve got a baller.

As far as people claiming “Mazi Hate” being the same as other players, no it really isn’t. Other players that get hated on here like Dak, Lamb, Parsosn, DLaw, etc have all actually contributed a ton to the team, been all pros, etc. Mazi has done nothing. Very different.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do find it interesting that with Zimmer, there is far more attention to the DL than with Quinn.

I recognize that many of the DL signed recently represent 2nd or 3rd tier players, but at least there is a focus on the DL.

Maybe my view is biased by teams that seemed to ran over the Cowboy's defense at will, but Zimmer at least seems to be addressing a huge need.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nothing, something, or just providing depth! What are your thoughts on what they're doing?? Please give your thoughts

Why not just move Mazi to DE???
Nothing, it just tells us this is where we needed the attention all along

Chasing6

Reaction score
Anyone recall why we let Maliek Collins walk. He is looking like a beast now with the Niners. Strange that all of highlights on this video have none with the Cowboys.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that with Zimmer, there is far more attention to the DL than with Quinn.

I recognize that many of the DL signed recently represent 2nd or 3rd tier players, but at least there is a focus on the DL.

Maybe my view is biased by teams that seemed to ran over the Cowboy's defense at will, but Zimmer at least seems to be addressing a huge need.
He's addressing it with crap players. This defense is looking like a disaster right now especially with depleted starters at CB.

jaybird

Reaction score
Nothing. The Cowboys lost DL's in FA and we were all screaming for Jerry to be more active in FA and draft to get some. Now he finally is.

Remember, these players aren't guaranteed a roster spot and aren't necessarily a long term solution like hopefully Mazi is.

I'm still in favor of another DL early in next Aprils draft.

I'm going to completely ignore the Mazi to DE comment. Good grief.
Nate, is not impressed with Mazi. Hes inconsistent which is troubling.

conner01

Reaction score
He's not a DT either
He hasn’t been so far. The only hope is this scheme fits his skill set better and he can learn to get off the snap a bit faster. I wasn’t a fan of the pick but I get what they thought. A huge guy with freakish athletic skills you can develop into a pass rusher. That ship sank already so hopefully Zim can build a plugger out of him

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
We have no choice but to give him time. If we see some progress from him this year, I would be pretty pleased. If not, next year look for one of those 1st rd bust for 1st rd bust trades that we like so much ‍♂️