All of these DT signings, what does this tell us about Mazi Smith?

CCBoy

Reaction score
He's toast. I really hoped he would pan out but he's not a good football player
Walz...that's my Dad with a smile. Good enough for this fan. :popcorn:

Chauncey Golston is another player who can factor into the mix at defensive end. The fourth-year player has split time between defensive tackle and edge throughout his career. He’s not much of a pass-rusher but can play the run as well as anyone from an edge position.

One can now mention Jordan Phillips.

The defensive line is a complete picture now.

Starters are at T-3 Osa Odighizuwa: T-1 Mazi Smith: DE DeMarcus Lawrence: DE Carl Lawson & DE Marshawn Kneeland...and LB Micah Parsons.

LBS DeMarvion Overshown, Eric Kendricks, and Damone Clark...

and one could as easily discuss the very top shelf of secondary and it's genius coach.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All these moves at DT just confirm what we already knew- we are incredibly thin at that position even if Mazi has improved.

Although it’s good to see the team make some moves by adding Phillips and Linval, those guys were available for a reason. They are older guys on the back end of their careers. In Linval’s case, he’s 36 and probably will play a max of 15-20 snaps a game.

Glad both are here but again, there’s a reason they were “available and affordable.”

CCBoy

Reaction score
All these moves at DT just confirm what we already knew- we are incredibly thin at that position even if Mazi has improved.

Although it’s good to see the team make some moves by adding Phillips and Linval, those guys were available for a reason. They are older guys on the back end of their careers. In Linval’s case, he’s 36 and probably will play a max of 15-20 snaps a game.

Glad both are here but again, there’s a reason they were “available and affordable.”
While Smith and Joseph will handle the nose tackle spot, Osa Odighizuwa and Phillips will work the 3-technique spot although they do have position flexibility.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40945320/cowboys-bolster-run-d-add-linval-joseph-1-year-deal

The doubters will just say what they always say....

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nothing, something, or just providing depth! What are your thoughts on what they're doing?? Please give your thoughts

Why not just move Mazi to DE???
Tells we they didnt think they had any depth. Neither signing has been good for a while

reddyuta

Reaction score
It was a historically bad bad during the draft and nothing has changed,stop drafting Michigan players especially in the first Rd.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It just means Zimmer is ready to win now. He is bringing in beef and his guys (Kendricks, Joseph. Phillips is best under Zimmers scheme).

We went from being very weak at DT and LB to it being a massive plus.
You should wait and see how this plays out on the field. None of these guys is a blockbuster signing. We could still be run right over this season because we have no real stud at DT.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In other words....I told you so, Jerry sucks.
Good morning, sunshine. Lol

shabazz

Reaction score
I'm still in favor of another DL early in next Aprils draft.
Jupiter overtakes Saturn in orbit more often than the Cowboys take DTs in the 1st round.

Some of us will be pushing up petunias before this event takes place again

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it says Mazi is not ready to be dominant at the NT position. But I don't believe they think they can get anywhere near 50% of defensive snaps from Joseph. or Phillips for that matter. If anything I think this says more about Huggins and Daxon. It may mean something for Golston too. I think Golston and Fehoko will play DE most of the time with a rotation of Phillips, Joseph, Mazi and Osa inside. Rogers might make the team too for more inside help.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It tells me our new dc is making it a priority to stop the run
I am not pouring any anointing oil but it does seem as if Zim understands you are toast if you are soft up the middle. Hallelujah!

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
:angry::popcorn::muttley:

For those not familiar with what a 1-tech defensive tackle does, here is my best explanation. A 1-tech defensive tackle lines up in the 1-gap, between the center and the guard.

A 1-tech defensive tackle is usually on the heavier side, ideally upwards of 325 pounds, and their purpose is to take up two blockers at once to allow teammates to pursue the ball unblocked. Examples of famous 1-techniques over the years are Gilbert Brown, Vince Wilfork, and Haloti Ngata.

https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-still-lack-1-tech-depth-could-free-agency-have-the-answer/

We all thought the Cowboys had already addressed this when they traded for Jordan Phillips late last week. However, comments today from Phillips himself prove otherwise.

As reported by Fort Worth Star Telegram reporter Clarence Hill on Twitter/X, Phillips said he's here (in Dallas) to play 3-technique. He has a history there in Mike Zimmer's defense under some of his proteges. Phillips also stated that the New York Giants scheme was not a fit for him.

(This still can be filled from in house or signed with teams adjust at the waiver lines.)

A veteran of 14 years, Joseph can come in and play limited snaps and still be effective.

Linval Joseph​

If anything else, he would be a valuable veteran presence to help with Mazi Smith's development.
That's all good stuff..
And Mazi still stinks, and we can't rely on him. His "development", as people like to call it around here, is flaming dung.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It tells me that Zimmer wants a real rotation at the DL position.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That's all good stuff..
And Mazi still stinks, and we can't rely on him. His "development", as people like to call it around here, is flaming dung.
Your gloom and scorn doesn't mean a thing to this fan. Your labels aren't my hang up in the least. :popcorn: You don't agree on a thing....so?

Stick around long enough to get some pull on anything.

Study this for a week or two and get back...

Starters are at T-3 Osa Odighizuwa: T-1 Mazi Smith: DE DeMarcus Lawrence: DE Carl Lawson & DE Marshawn Kneeland...and LB Micah Parsons.

LBS DeMarvion Overshown, Eric Kendricks, and Damone Clark...

and one could as easily discuss the very top shelf of secondary and it's genius coach.

*(There is depth at all positional groups.)

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am not pouring any anointing oil but it does seem as if Zim understands you are toast if you are soft up the middle. Hallelujah!
I know Zimmer has played two NT's in his base defense in the past. If this defense can stop the run, the sky is the limit, same goes for the offense if they can run the football.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I know Zimmer has played two NT's in his base defense in the past. If this defense can stop the run, the sky is the limit, same goes for the offense if they can run the football.
It will certainly be something we haven't experienced in quite a while. And yes, it should drastically change the team dynamics.

Loso86

Reaction score
Nothing, something, or just providing depth! What are your thoughts on what they're doing?? Please give your thoughts

Why not just move Mazi to DE???
Tells me he's getting better but not there yet. We have to realize that he can't play EVERY DOWN on defense. And besides him and Osa we had no other capable DTs. It's not always thinking negative!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They were real thin at DT. Lost a couple interior guys to FA and didn’t address it until the 7th round. That’s not good enough at all so they had roster holes. I will also add the Zimmer influence. He saw that miniature defense that the dummy Quinn used won’t work and wanted some size. I will also add Mazi is not a 60/70 snap player. Maybe half that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Linval joins Jordan Phillips once again as the two were together last season with the Buffalo Bills. Together they will be charged with helping fortify the middle of the defensive line which we entered camp assuming was Mazi Smith’s primary responsibility.

It still seems like a leap to assume that the Phillips trade and Joseph signings are representative of anything specific towards Smith. Remember that over the last two years the Cowboys were dependent on one player specifically in this regard in Johnathan Hankins. Having multiple bodies is a very good thing through the battle of attrition that is an NFL season.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...e-tackle-linval-joseph-mike-zimmer-mazi-smith