All of these DT signings, what does this tell us about Mazi Smith?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here‘s what I think will be better under Zim:

• If Mazi, Osa, and the newly acquired Jordan Phillips can do what Zimmer wants, we should be better against the run. (Another IF)
  • From what I’ve seen, Zim is planning to use Micah Parsons as more than just a pass rusher. I think this is good. Parsons is a special talent and I felt Parsons was being worn down the way Quinn always used him. We should see Parsons being used in multiple ways.
  • Even though I expect less interceptions than we’ve had under Quinn, I also expect better overall coverage under Zimmer.

Mike Zimmer’s defensive philosophy gives us a better chance​

John813

Reaction score
Means nothing.

I agree.

Teams need proper DT depth. You don't want IDL guys playing 100% of the snaps unless it's A. Donald out there. Rotations are key for a strong D-Line for all 4 quarters.

Davis wasn't the answer, so they moved on and got Linval.
they needed depth at 3, so they traded for Phillips.

Nothing more, nothing less.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Nick Harris: Oh, for sure. I think being a top-10 defense is certainly on the table for this defense. Last season, the Cowboys finished fifth in total defense, and while I think some defenses around them have improved, I think this is a better overall unit coming out of camp. The depth is the biggest game-changer in my eyes, especially at the second level with the additions of Eric Kendricks and Marist Liufau as well as getting DeMarvion Overshown back from injury. I think the exclamation point was adding veteran defensive line presences in Carl Lawson and Jordan Phillips after identifying and quickly moving on a depth issue up front. Lastly, the secondary will prove to be another top unit in the league once again if it can stay healthy over the duration of the season. But even within that, the depth with guys like Caelen Carson and Markquese Bell playing back at safety this season will give them a little more comfort in case an injury does arise. All in all, give me this defense to be top-five once again.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-can-this-be-a-top-10-defense

If we are just going by current drive in food, just give this fan carne guisada tacos with home made corn tortillas...then ice cold Padron Tequila with a salt chaser.

Mickey Spagnola: If these young defensive players the Cowboys are counting on to replace some of those veterans leaving in free agency do step up you could be right. The key factor will be if this run defense improves. See, the secondary with the return of Trevon Diggs should improve. The Cowboys are four deep at safety. Now just need to find a fourth emergency corner (likely at this point rookie Caelen Carson). As for the front seven, Mike Zimmer's scheme should help that part of the defense. Having veteran Eric Kendricks replacing the retired Leighton Vander Esch who was sorely missed last year after suffering the neck injury leaving a big hole in the defense realty helps. And you're right on the rookie Marshawn Kneeland. If he can take some run-down snaps away from Micah Parsons, giving him an ability to play linebacker, too, that become a bonus. Now on to the nose tackle. Jury still out on Mazi Smith, seemingly improving and it can't hurt acquiring veteran Jordan Phillips at 6-6, 341, giving the front some girth if nothing else. Think about this: Despite last year's problems stopping the run and losing Diggs and Vander Esch, then Stephon Gilmore trying to play in the playoff game with a shoulder in need of immediate surgery, the Cowboys did finish No. 5 in total defense. Just need to improve from No. 16 against the run.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Jon Machota

@jonmachota

Sounds like the Cowboys aren't done trying to improve their defensive line. Jerry Jones on
@1053thefan
while talking about some of their recent defensive line additions: "Sometimes in the interior (defensive) line, you get a chance to do some things with other clubs right at the end of training camp, in that area. What you're seeing right now is important. It's important to see these guys take reps. But tonight won't be the final pieces to the puzzle."

CCBoy

Reaction score
A football player wearing a green jersey holds a medicine ball during a training session on a grass field.

on: Aug 22, 2024
Cowboys add beef to interior of defensive line before returning from Oxnard

Havic

Reaction score
3 dt signings in the last few weeks tells me Mazi is not ready. I understand signing for depth but adding 3 and then you got mazi and osa on top of it? Something doesn’t add up

CCBoy

Reaction score
3 dt signings in the last few weeks tells me Mazi is not ready. I understand signing for depth but adding 3 and then you got mazi and osa on top of it? Something doesn’t add up
Not really. Getting all positional groups as strong as can be projected. This is the strong year for a three year growth projection on this side of the ball.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Jon Machota
@jonmachota

Sounds like the Cowboys aren't done trying to improve their defensive line. Jerry Jones on
@1053thefan
while talking about some of their recent defensive line additions: "Sometimes in the interior (defensive) line, you get a chance to do some things with other clubs right at the end of training camp, in that area. What you're seeing right now is important. It's important to see these guys take reps. But tonight won't be the final pieces to the puzzle."
I wont be mad if the Cowboys end up with another addition, however it just leaves me even more confused as to why this wasn't addressed months ago? Jordan Phillips is a guy who could have been had in free agency without giving up any draft picks to the Giants.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wont be mad if the Cowboys end up with another addition, however it just leaves me even more confused as to why this wasn't addressed months ago? Jordan Phillips is a guy who could have been had in free agency without giving up any draft picks to the Giants.
Contracts still on the table to be taken care of still....

Havic

Reaction score
Not really. Getting all positional groups as strong as can be projected. This is the strong year for a three year growth projection on this side of the ball.
I think we only sign 2 if Mazi was having a phenomenal camp

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Contracts still on the table to be taken care of still....
Not sure I understand why that would matter? They couldn't sign a player to a $1.8M contract because of contracts still being on the table, but they can trade for a player to pay $1.8M? Whats the difference money/cap wise?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing. The Cowboys lost DL's in FA and we were all screaming for Jerry to be more active in FA and draft to get some. Now he finally is.

Remember, these players aren't guaranteed a roster spot and aren't necessarily a long term solution like hopefully Mazi is.

I'm still in favor of another DL early in next Aprils draft.

I'm going to completely ignore the Mazi to DE comment. Good grief.
Agreed.

The biggest criticism was that they weren’t investing enough in defensive tackles. Now they are.

People can question the level of investment, but can no longer say it’s being ignored.

I’m happy with it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, he's a bust that happens in the draft for all teams.
Cut ties ASAP dude is worthless.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agreed.

The biggest criticism was that they weren’t investing enough in defensive tackles. Now they are.

People can question the level of investment, but can no longer say it’s being ignored.

I’m happy with it.
There are 3 large DT's now and a rushing strength in Ozi.