All or Nothing solidified Garrett as a Poser for me

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I always had doubts about JG's ability to be a decent Head Coach but the thing that really solidified it was watching him behind the scenes in All or Nothing on Amazon a couple of years ago.
It was cringe-worthy watching him in meetings with the team.
He would feel the need to drop F-bombs constantly to I guess show the team that he was a tough guy and a real bad ***.
When in reality, everyone knows he is not, but watching him try to come across as such was so nauseating.
I know it, but I have a feeling that the players can sense it too that he was trying to be something he isn't.
What stood out for me watching that show was the sideline during the Atlanta game. Garrett was pacing around complaining about the LT just getting totally abused and he had no solution to fix it. No TE to help out no RB to chip the defender, he had nothing. He just sat there and watched it happen time after time.

Garret has little to no ability to make in-game adjustments.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I think it’s funny that you guys think you know who the “real” Jason Garrett is.

You’ve only gotten to know Press Conference Garrett.

There’s no way in hell he’s more phony in real life than he is in his robotic press conferences.
I swear they live in their own reality.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I think it’s funny that you guys think you know who the “real” Jason Garrett is. There’s no way in hell he’s more phony in real life than he is in his robotic press conferences.
Us guys don't know, but YOU know he isn't. Okaaaay.... :rolleyes:

Nav22

Reaction score
Your making quite the assumption about his players.

Like I said though, if that was actually him, he's got serious issues.
That’s your opinion. His players seemed to like him just fine.

Seems like quite a stretch to think that the guy spends his entire professional life being a total phony, and that he’s enjoyed 30 years of tremendous success (relatively speaking) in his field being a total phony.

And nobody’s noticed except fans like you.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No clue.

But I do know what we saw in All or Nothing was someone that was uncomfortably and unnaturally forcing a hard nose personna.

If that was genuine, he has some serious issues.
During that series, the players looked disengaged at times, if not disinterested. Not sure how much of that can be caused by the discomfort of the situation or the discomfort of Garrett's staged persona.
It all struck me as promotional BS.

Big_D

Reaction score
I always had doubts about JG's ability to be a decent Head Coach but the thing that really solidified it was watching him behind the scenes in All or Nothing on Amazon a couple of years ago.
He would feel the need to drop F-bombs constantly to I guess show the team that he was a tough guy and a real bad ***.
When in reality, everyone knows he is not, but watching him try to come across as such was so nauseating.
I know it, but I have a feeling that the players can sense it too that he was trying to be something he isn't.

I felt exactly the same way. Like he was trying way too hard. It certainly didn’t come across as just some guy who swore a lot. I can’t imagine the team finds it motivating or tough. It was embarrassing to watch.

nobody

Reaction score
People keep saying they think the players agree with their half-assed assessments of Jason Garrett, but over and over and over again, when we hear it directly from the players themselves, the exact opposite is proven to be true.

We just heard it again recently from Orlando Scandrick on Cowherd. And from Demarcus Ware in the AMA he did that’s quoted in my sig.

Really?

Demarcus Ware (on Jason Garrett): “I think he's a great coach. What a lot of people don't understand is he's a motivator. He'd give speeches before meetings and that's what coaches should do. He was a good delegator but he could go into any meeting room and know everything: what people are doing, what's going wrong and how to fix it. That's how you know he's a good coach.

Let's look at the part in bold, shall we? He's good at knowing everything? Romo said he wasn't an X's and O's kind of coach. And if he knows how to fix everything, why do the players and especially the coaches keep making the same mistakes over and over in games? That doesn't sound liking fixing anything to me.

Garrett could be a very good motivator to an extent. He could be hampered by Jerry's culture....but he's a terrible head coach (at least in the atmosphere that Jerry presents). There is no argument to be had about that. The results speak for themselves. It's time for change.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Even more than exposing JG, it solidified everything we've ever heard about how horrible Jerry would be to coach for. Interrupting the head coach after that Denver game to tell him, HE wants to address the team first! No other owner would be that stupid.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Skip Bayless mentioned this as well. Said when he was around the Cowboys Garrett never spoke like that.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
How anybody defended him after Josh Brent was on the sideline two days after killing a teammate and JG said he didn't know is beyond me.

The guy is a clown and players don't give a rip about him.
He fake teared up on the sideline after Jerry Brown died. Havent heard about Jerry Brown from him since. Meant so much to him lol

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I missed it, but can only imagine the awkwardness in his trying to mask his lack of comfort as a head coach.

I get the feeling, and have had this feeling a long time, that he doesn’t knows what he’s “supposed” to be doing. That is, how he’s supposed to act and what responsibilities are his.

That’s why when play calling was taken from him he clapsincessantly on the sidelines, cheers, spits, and butt slaps. Not realizing that he should be instructing and speaking to others about the game while in progress.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol but players speak down on Garrett, like TO or Dez. We just brush them off as holding a grudge, right? Only believe the good things

Not at all. Dez was a big fan of Garrett’s for most of his tenure. TO’s opinion gets the weighty it’s earned over his career.

On balance, the players are overwhelmingly favorable in their opinion of the guy. That includes the players who don’t happen to like him. That’s the point.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really?

Demarcus Ware (on Jason Garrett): “I think he's a great coach. What a lot of people don't understand is he's a motivator. He'd give speeches before meetings and that's what coaches should do. He was a good delegator but he could go into any meeting room and know everything: what people are doing, what's going wrong and how to fix it. That's how you know he's a good coach.

Let's look at the part in bold, shall we? He's good at knowing everything? Romo said he wasn't an X's and O's kind of coach. And if he knows how to fix everything, why do the players and especially the coaches keep making the same mistakes over and over in games? That doesn't sound liking fixing anything to me.

Garrett could be a very good motivator to an extent. He could be hampered by Jerry's culture....but he's a terrible head coach (at least in the atmosphere that Jerry presents). There is no argument to be had about that. The results speak for themselves. It's time for change.

Sorry, but what you’re concluding here directly contradicts what Ware said. He explicitly says his knowledge of every area of the game is detailed. He explicitly said he’s a great coach. You can say there’s no argument to be had about that, but the reality is fans just have it generally wrong and don’t want to believe it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think the way he presented himself on 'All or Nothing" was the real JG and the nice guy image that he portrays to the public is just a show. He is a bad arse and he does drop F-bombs because that's what bad arses do without caring who's around.

You have fallen for his public persona as a nice guy. Ask any of the players, he's really not that much of a nice guy on the job.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I'm being overdramatic when in actuality, I am rarely wrong. I think you are being more overdramatic than I by calling me out at every chance you get to say how wrong and overdramatic I am. Maybe the dramaticness would stop if they Cowboys themselves weren't such a soap opera.

I wouldn't have to call you out on anything if you didn't spew fictional stories that help your agenda on bashing the Cowboys.