All our coaching gurus. Why was DeMeco Ryans bailing us out with timeouts?

TheMarathonContinues

Well-Known Member
Messages
105,093
Reaction score
94,158
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
 
Yes it was Olsen doing color yesterday.

The Texans are an interesting case. Starting off 0-3 last year only to finish the season with a 9 game win streak and win a WC game. This year they start this season off 0-4 and more importantly look to be out of the playoff race already.

He made some coaching mistakes yesterday but so did Schotty. I have no idea what he was thinking with the time out situation. But I'm glad the Cowboys took advantage and got a W. Much calmer in here when we win!
 
Yes it was Olsen doing color yesterday.

The Texans are an interesting case. Starting off 0-3 last year only to finish the season with a 9 game win streak and win a WC game. This year they start this season off 0-4 and more importantly look to be out of the playoff race already.

He made some coaching mistakes yesterday but so did Schotty. I have no idea what he was thinking with the time out situation. But I'm glad the Cowboys took advantage and got a W. Much calmer in here when we win!
I actually wanted to gauge the sites opinion on it because I thought it was stupid. But hearing Olsen made me think maybe people thought it was a good move. I agree much better after a win and going against a bad Buccs team. Hope we continue to see progress.
 
Its a tough call.

Id have probably kept them and relied on the defense to get a stop. But Dallas had two timeouts as well. So they werent really feeling the time pressure.

If Dallas only had 1 or no timeouts, I certainly would not have been stopping the clock for them.
 
Its a tough call.

Id have probably kept them and relied on the defense to get a stop. But Dallas had two timeouts as well. So they werent really feeling the time pressure.

If Dallas only had 1 or no timeouts, I certainly would not have been stopping the clock for them.
It was almost like Cowboys had 5 timeouts to work with. And with how conservative they looked against Ravens im shocked Texans played it that way..Demeco looks in over his head.
 
I actually wanted to gauge the sites opinion on it because I thought it was stupid. But hearing Olsen made me think maybe people thought it was a good move. I agree much better after a win and going against a bad Buccs team. Hope we continue to see progress.
It worked coming up to the half time. Maybe the fact Olsen called it out gave it a bit more importance. But it worked.

However, did the head coach believe it would work again? Maybe so. But I suggest he wished he had save a time out when they tossed the Hail Mary.

Yet, that ball could have been caught by the Texans. Or....the refs call the obvious pass interference and give the Texans one shot from the one to steal the win. That hook and ladder play was genius. #24 for Dallas had the pick in the endzone, but he let it go through his hands.

Lots to unpack. Bad decision by Houston in the second half. But it could have been rebranded to a brilliant call if the Hail Mary was a completion.
 
The only explanation for it, is that he didn’t think his defense would be able to stop the cowboys offense.

And he wanted to use his offense against our horrible defense. To try and win the game.
 
So he doesnt burn the timeouts and Dallas runs another minute, minute and a half off the clock.

Then what?

He was betting on his defense. He lost the bet.
 
The only explanation for it, is that he didn’t think his defense would be able to stop the cowboys offense.

And he wanted to use his offense against our horrible defense. To try and win the game.
I think he thought they would hold us to a FG and he would get a chance for a FG like Baltimore did. Otherwise the decision really makes no sense to me. Did it possibly give him more time at the end, maybe but Dallas is not leting it run much lower than it did (given their position from which they scored the TD) with their timeouts, so while he gained more clock time, he lost time and options on last drive not being able to stop the clock.
 
Any scenario where Ryans gets fired and Jerry hires him as a defensive consultant and potential replacement for Shotty for the rest of the year?
 
I actually agreed with what the Texans were doing with the timeouts.

The Cowboys still had all of theirs and were driving. Dallas could have controlled the pace and scored the winning touchdown with far less than 40 seconds remaining had Houston not stopped the clock themselves.

Ryans at least gave his offense one more possession instead of letting the Cowboys run the game down to zero.
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
Two things:
- It is a roll of the dice whether to use the timeouts betting your defense stops the other team or to maybe have time left to use them when you get the ball back.

- Secondly, stoppage of play breaks the offense's rhythm. While it does give the offense time to decide on a play it also gives your defense time to reorganize and get their breath.

I'm glad Ryans did it the way he did. I felt it was a plus for Dak and Dallas. Dallas had time either way to score but I think they could have left no time for Houston to play offense after scoring.
 
Im not impressed with Demaroc Ryan......the penalties alone are signs of horrible coaching.
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
I personally thought the timeouts were strange, especially towards the end of the game. When you have the lead, the clock is your friend. You want it to run. But I think the analytics say, once the trailing team is in FG range, you call your TOs to give you a chance to possess the ball again. Which they got to do in both cases and had a chance to win the game. I'd say he did it right.
 
Forgot who called the game maybe it was Olsen but he gave him props for it in the first half. I thought it was stupid then despite it working because your head coach went for a 62 yard field goal and it was either blocked or missed.

Does it again in the 2nd half….basically have us free timeouts.
It’s not uncommon.

When your opponent has the ball you are powerless to control the clock outside of tackling the guy with the ball inbounds.

When you’re on offense you can control the clock with plays designed to get out of bounds, incompletions and spiking it.

His mistake wasn’t calling the timeouts, it was letting 20 seconds run off the clock that he didn’t need to.

If he doesn’t call timeouts the cowboys could have just run the clock down before they scored. The Cowboys were unstoppable in the second half and he might have assumed, rightfully so, that we were going to get a TD. They also had two timeouts.

Stroud and Collins were tearing it up. He hoped that if he kept some time on the clock their offense could score.

He did it at the end of the first half and everyone was calling it genius clock management.

Bottom line he made a decision and it didn’t work out.
 
Last edited:
It gave the Texans a chance and they at least had time for a hail mary. Without those timeouts, the Cowboys could have bled the clock completely and scored. Time was not a problem for the Cowboys so if you were the Texans, you call the timeouts just to maximize the time left on the clock as much as possible. Now the Cowboys could have still bled the clock anyway even with those timeouts used by Houston but that is the chance you take and the TD to Lamb still left them with 40 seconds.

As a defense, your goal remains the same with or without the timeouts used. Best-case, your defense gets the stops. Worst-case, you give up the score but by using the timeouts, hopefully have some time left.
 
I think he thought they would hold us to a FG and he would get a chance for a FG like Baltimore did. Otherwise the decision really makes no sense to me. Did it possibly give him more time at the end, maybe but Dallas is not leting it run much lower than it did (given their position from which they scored the TD) with their timeouts, so while he gained more clock time, he lost time and options on last drive not being able to stop the clock.
Yeah. I wouldn’t have used the timeouts there. But I can understand his strategy.

It didn’t work out for him. But if they had held Dallas to a FG. They would have had the time left to get back into field goal range.
 
I was shocked the Texans handled it that way.

It was essentially a vote of "no confidence" in their defense. Which, ironically, worked to the benefit of the DAL offense.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,158
Messages
14,670,373
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top