All the Zeke Hate, but the problem really is the offensive line

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All of this Zeke hate all over the place is unfounded. The REAL hate or criticism should be directed squarely to the offensive line.

The offensive line has sucked royally for weeks now. They are the ones looking fat and slow. They are getting routinely pushed backwards off the line. It is alarming how poorly the ENTIRE lot of them are playing. Every running play they are getting manhandled.

Yet, on passing plays they are doing well. Weird huh? Yeah. But then watch again and it seems that the way they are blocking on run plays is no different than how they block on passing plays.

Why?

I see no movement forward on running plays whatsoever. Frederick is a liability on running plays. He is usually getting pushed backwards. Collins was also. Even Tyron Smith is getting pushed backwards or at least stymied. Oh wait, not Martin too. Yeah Martin too is not getting enough push.

I really do not understand what people expect Zeke to do? Should he stop and spin and run outside like Barry Sanders? Well, he is no Barry Sanders. But it would take someone with equal swivel hips as Barry Sanders to do well with this line. Dallas OL has regressed BADLY.

Question, is this on Columbo? Does Moore have anything to do with this? Whoever is at fault, needs to be fired. This OL is a liability on running plays. No RB will ever flourish behind this line the way it is currently blocking.

How many pro bowler does Zeke need to do his job? He plays in the #1 offense in all of football.

You actually make the point. Zeke needs a great Oline and monster holes to be effective.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The offensive line has little effect that when Zeke gets touched that he goes down way more easier than he did before his contract. Before when an opposing player made contact with him, they would go backwards and he would grind those extra 2-3 yards. That can be a difference between 3rd and long and 3rd and short.

Even against the Giants when he was running through 10 yard holes he would run into the safety.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think some people are unable to digest truth no matter the case. I believe the phrase is Cognitive Dissonance.
So you are disappointed that your cherry-picked footage you tried to spoon-feed to the masses didn't fool anyone. But according to you, it's our fault we aren't smart enough to buy your snake oil theory. lol Nice try.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
OK. Make a video showing the holes that were opened that Zeke missed this year. I would like to see it. Maybe you are right?

I don't think you need to "make a video" to see this. I think you just need to watch the games. You are welcome to your opinion, if you believe that there are no lanes but when I watch, I see them. They are there.

JMO

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
OK what actually happened in Next Gen is "at the snap". At the snap means nothing. You can have 7 on the line and 3 back out at the snap or you can have 4 on the line and 3 more blitz. You can have a safety out that comes up at the snap.

You... you... you do understand that if there are 3 that back out of all three go that there are still only seven people in the box right? RIGHT!?
It's 4+3=7

And Dallas faces single high safeties(one safety- dropping into box) at the 8th lowest rate in the league.

I absolutely get you hating to be wrong on this after our lengthy discussions this offseason, because I hate being wrong too, but you're just going to have to come to terms with it.

If you have a back that can't persevere over average run blocking then why did you pay him big bucks?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
All of this Zeke hate all over the place is unfounded. The REAL hate or criticism should be directed squarely to the offensive line.

The offensive line has sucked royally for weeks now. They are the ones looking fat and slow. They are getting routinely pushed backwards off the line. It is alarming how poorly the ENTIRE lot of them are playing. Every running play they are getting manhandled.

Yet, on passing plays they are doing well. Weird huh? Yeah. But then watch again and it seems that the way they are blocking on run plays is no different than how they block on passing plays.

Why?

I see no movement forward on running plays whatsoever. Frederick is a liability on running plays. He is usually getting pushed backwards. Collins was also. Even Tyron Smith is getting pushed backwards or at least stymied. Oh wait, not Martin too. Yeah Martin too is not getting enough push.

I really do not understand what people expect Zeke to do? Should he stop and spin and run outside like Barry Sanders? Well, he is no Barry Sanders. But it would take someone with equal swivel hips as Barry Sanders to do well with this line. Dallas OL has regressed BADLY.

Question, is this on Columbo? Does Moore have anything to do with this? Whoever is at fault, needs to be fired. This OL is a liability on running plays. No RB will ever flourish behind this line the way it is currently blocking.

I add you to the list of great thread.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're right and wrong, the part about cut blocking is true we are no longer trying to get the dline on the ground which was a staple for the 2016 team. Since we are not using that technique the holes aren't there, the holes aren't there so how does this not effect Zeke? Zeke is an easy target but if you watch film or care to find out the truth then you'll realize that the oline is playing subpar in run blocking but great in pass protection.

The holes are there. They just require a back to hit that thing a little quicker because they aren't there as long. We definitely don't see the burst that Zeke showed as a rookie, to the edge, but backs lose that after a few seasons in the NFL. That's any back. Exactly what "Film" are you watching because unless it's game film, you aren't seeing anything more then what any of the rest of us are. I know what I'm seeing. Watch Zeke after Hernandez and the Giants dust up. Watch the difference in how he runs, before that and after. That will show you something.

The OL is banged up and has been pretty much all season. We are spoiled and we think that the OL has o be dominating every game, every season. Well, they don't and they won't. If you are the best RB in the NFL, you better be able to produce or your going to hear it. You don't have to like it but it's not going to change. That's how it is.

This team is changing from a run oriented Offense to a passing oriented Offense. The OL is also changing and that's pretty easy to see, to be honest. What you are explaining is something that many have already reported on. I don't think it's a big secrete that the OL has become better in pass protection but lessor in run blocking. It is what it is. I do believe there is something to this. I believe the team is wanting to see Dak take over the Offense and I do believe that it means the OL becomes more pass friendly and less run centric. However, it doesn't mean the holes are not there. They are but it's going to take a little more from Dak to hit them IMO. It doesn't help that we have been so predictable on first down but again, thats not an excuse for the production either. There are holes out there IMO.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
So you are disappointed that your cherry-picked footage you tried to spoon-feed to the masses didn't fool anyone. But according to you, it's our fault we aren't smart enough to buy your snake oil theory. lol Nice try.
Another phrase applies, projection. Feel free to project your issues on others, maybe they will be more accommodating?

superonyx

Reaction score
EzE isn't hitting the hole fast enough, causing said holes to collapse on him. His first season, he'd hit the holes to quick, and he learned to be patient. Now, the tub of guts can'y move fast enough.
Cool story.
Unfortunately this has already been proven false.
Plenty of guys breaking down the run plays showing how there were never holes to run through.

Link us to the film study anyone does that shows Zeke running to slow to hit the holes.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
The holes are there. They just require a back to hit that thing a little quicker because they aren't there as long. We definitely don't see the burst that Zeke showed as a rookie, to the edge, but backs lose that after a few seasons in the NFL. That's any back. Exactly what "Film" are you watching because unless it's game film, you aren't seeing anything more then what any of the rest of us are. I know what I'm seeing. Watch Zeke after Hernandez and the Giants dust up. Watch the difference in how he runs, before that and after. That will show you something.

The OL is banged up and has been pretty much all season. We are spoiled and we think that the OL has o be dominating every game, every season. Well, they don't and they won't. If you are the best RB in the NFL, you better be able to produce or your going to hear it. You don't have to like it but it's not going to change. That's how it is.

This team is changing from a run oriented Offense to a passing oriented Offense. The OL is also changing and that's pretty easy to see, to be honest. What you are explaining is something that many have already reported on. I don't think it's a big secrete that the OL has become better in pass protection but lessor in run blocking. It is what it is. I do believe there is something to this. I believe the team is wanting to see Dak take over the Offense and I do believe that it means the OL becomes more pass friendly and less run centric. However, it doesn't mean the holes are not there. They are but it's going to take a little more from Dak to hit them IMO. It doesn't help that we have been so predictable on first down but again, thats not an excuse for the production either. There are holes out there IMO.
I knew you would come around. It was my point from the get go. I also said Zeke has lost some top end speed. Not much but some. But he is heavier now, (Not fatter) he has more muscle mass which will slow him down a bit. But he powers over people now more. Remember the crushing run against the Eagles where he scored? Yeah. Powerful. But if you still refuse to admit that the OL has NOT blocked as well in the run game as they have in the past, than there is nothing else I can do for you.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Cool story.
Unfortunately this has already been proven false.
Plenty of guys breaking down the run plays showing how there were never holes to run through.

Link us to the film study anyone does that shows Zeke running to slow to hit the holes.
I've already asked. I got nada.

superonyx

Reaction score

How do you know the holes are there?
Can you help educate us so we can all know what you know?
I've seen play breakdowns that talk about the hole not being there and the line getting no push. I have yet to see one showing these holes that Zeke tries and fails to run through. Hmm. I wonder why?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I rewatched a lot of the runs in the MN and NO games , his worst games not to mention this last win..theres so many Dlinmen and LBs behind the line before zeke takes 2 steps in unreal.. you watch how well this lone blocks in the passing game and then look at that and its stunning how they look like 2 different lines..

sometimes sure zeke makes the wrong cut or doesnt cut back etc etc but more times then not its been the line getting pushed back at the snap, I mean its ugly..

its problem that need to be addressed because teams will find way to take focus off the run and start making it more difficult to pass, we need a threat of run game with some balance to make this offense stay on a roll..

zekes look good in several games like B2b eagles /giants games, he looked like old zeke those games, when he does see some day light and a hole he has enough burst like that TD sunday that got called back to the 1 and then he ran it in, that was a nice burst.. also look how good that catch was nearly off the turf and bam he go tot he EZ quickly..

not saying its all Line but 75% its bad run blocking, period..

fans keep seeing his contract and expectations have gone off the charts and im sorry thats not how it works..it happens but Zeke is not mailed it in, hes not slowing down and getting fat to the ridiculousness of the accusations he receives here..hes simply losing some confidence that the hole will be there and does hesitate some and thats normal..

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
How many pro bowler does Zeke need to do his job? He plays in the #1 offense in all of football.

You actually make the point. Zeke needs a great Oline and monster holes to be effective.
OK. Zeke does need above average blocking to be great. This is true IMHO. Zeke had that for 3 years now. Suddenly he doesn't. How does this change what I have said at all? The reality is that the OL is not great at run blocking this year and as such Zeke has suffered. So, you agree with my assessment?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OK. Zeke does need above average blocking to be great. This is true IMHO. Zeke had that for 3 years now. Suddenly he doesn't. How does this change what I have said at all? The reality is that the OL is not great at run blocking this year and as such Zeke has suffered. So, you agree with my assessment?

Bottom line is that the 2016 Oline was sooo good, that it made lots of people look better than they were.

Made Zeke look all world, made Dak look like Tom Brady, and made Linehan look like a great OC. What we are finding out in the 3 years since, is that none of these 3 things was the case.

-Dak was a young QB that needed to grow and improve and had plenty to work on
-Linehan was terrible
-And although good, Zeke is NOT as good as he looked in 2016.

Just take a look at 2018 until now. The Oline was much worse last year. We saw it in the passing game and we saw it in the run game. Injuries alone could tell you the difference.

Dak has no issues with the Oline. IN fact, the Oline is plenty good enough to be paving the way for the #1 offense in football.

Zeke ran better last year behind a worse run blocking Oline.

-Zeke defenders like to assume that the line is "run blocking poorly" because Zeke isnt doing well. Its an excuse.
-Zeke has a top level QB, a great passing game, the #1 offense in the NFL, a real OC, and a better Oline this year than he did last year and he is playing worse.

Bottom line is that the gig is up on Zeke. NO ONE is threatened by Zeke bouncing it outside anymore. He either doesnt do it, or he wont. All the Defense has to do is play gap control within the box and Zeke can be held in check.

And even in a game like against the Giants where the line was opening up monster holes all game long, Zeke still couldnt break one for more than 20 yards.

Zeke was NEVER as good as he showed in 2016, and the line is no longer all world. Plenty of better backs in the NFL.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The OL is ranked third in line yards rushing and third in sack rate lmao.

The issue is when the Cowboys run, that's it.

I'd say a lot of it is still play design and variation too. They still only run strong side (a Garrett staple), and still don't use misdirection runs or draws. It's outside zone, or inside strongside trap.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Why?

This is rich...

When Dak struggles, it's not the Oline's fault, but instead, it is Dak's own fault.

When Zeke struggles, it's not Zeke's fault, but instead, it is the Oline's fault since they suck.

Hmm...:huh: