All the Zeke Hate, but the problem really is the offensive line

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No Zeke hate, he's just not the back he was 2 years ago.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
the line is designed to protect Dak from panic, run blocking probably isn't the number one priority. put looney in, Fred looks weak and slow but still can call out assignments.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I knew you would come around. It was my point from the get go. I also said Zeke has lost some top end speed. Not much but some. But he is heavier now, (Not fatter) he has more muscle mass which will slow him down a bit. But he powers over people now more. Remember the crushing run against the Eagles where he scored? Yeah. Powerful. But if you still refuse to admit that the OL has NOT blocked as well in the run game as they have in the past, than there is nothing else I can do for you.

I haven't "Come Around", this is nothing that hasn't been discussed many, many times before. He has lost more then just a little bit, he is not playing nearly as sudden IMO. I don't believe there was ever anything you could do for me. Perhaps in your own head.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
How do you know the holes are there?
Can you help educate us so we can all know what you know?
I've seen play breakdowns that talk about the hole not being there and the line getting no push. I have yet to see one showing these holes that Zeke tries and fails to run through. Hmm. I wonder why?

How do you not know? I mean, you are presumably watching the same games I am.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
This is true for the most part.

Frederick has underperformed by his standards, and unfortunately that’s likely a result of his illness. He isn’t going to be an All Pro player anymore. Looney actually may be an upgrade.

Tyron and Martin have back issues and if they don’t get them fixed, we are going to see their play continue to fall off as well.

Lael has been our best lineman but he’s been banged up all year. Connor Williams is a bust so far.

That being said, the pass protection for Dak has been phenomenal. We just don’t seem to have that driving force in the run game that made the unit special.

blueblood70

Reaction score
One could show a video of Emmitt Smith, Sanders, Peyton and show yards that were there and the runner didn’t get them. Just like one could show Tom Brady’s best games and focus on the incomplete passes and plays where he checked down or made a throw that could have been more yards or a TD.

These videos showing a select few plays only serve to show the bias of the person and their agenda no matter what it’s showing.

Zeke statistically isn’t having an awful season. He has as many 100 yard games as this time last season.

ignoring the obvious at this point about this offensive line comes off as someone trying to win an argument on a message board while selectively ignoring the reality.

Of course Zeke isnt making as many explosive plays as past seasons. The reason for that is speculation on both sides. Why ignore the reality that this line isn’t blocking the same and this should impact Zekes reads and decisions. Just as a QB who gets pressured often will start feeling pressure even when it’s not there. When the OL is struggling RBs tend to be hesitant waiting for holes to open. Running the ball is more complex than just running real fast into the place the hole should be.
:hammer::hammer:

superonyx

Reaction score
How do you not know? I mean, you are presumably watching the same games I am.
Because I am watching the same game AND people who broke down the video went through every running play from 2 weeks ago and did a play by play. Some radio dude from Dallas.
I'm sure I can find the video if you need it. But I suspect you will dismiss any conclusion you don't already agree with.

We have seen and heard that the holes are not there. We haven't seen or heard anything showing the holes being there.

Just angry fan speculation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because I am watching the same game AND people who broke down the video went through every running play from 2 weeks ago and did a play by play. Some radio dude from Dallas.
I'm sure I can find the video if you need it. But I suspect you will dismiss any conclusion you don't already agree with.

We have seen and heard that the holes are not there. We haven't seen or heard anything showing the holes being there.

Just angry fan speculation.

I saw one video. How many did you see? If there are more, post them so that I can see what you are talking about.

For the record, I don't believe you are an angry fan. I just think you are confused.

Chill35

Reaction score
the line is designed to protect Dak from panic, run blocking probably isn't the number one priority. put looney in, Fred looks weak and slow but still can call out assignments.
Agree. Dak had so much time he could have posted to instagram while he waited for the recievers to get open. Unlike the Giants game no holes for Zeke though.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
An elite back should be getting it done on his own at times, like Zeke used to do. Once he held out for a bigger payday and got what he wanted the wrath of close scrutiny and criticism are naturally going to follow.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
One could show a video of Emmitt Smith, Sanders, Peyton and show yards that were there and the runner didn’t get them. Just like one could show Tom Brady’s best games and focus on the incomplete passes and plays where he checked down or made a throw that could have been more yards or a TD.

These videos showing a select few plays only serve to show the bias of the person and their agenda no matter what it’s showing.

Zeke statistically isn’t having an awful season. He has as many 100 yard games as this time last season.

ignoring the obvious at this point about this offensive line comes off as someone trying to win an argument on a message board while selectively ignoring the reality.

Of course Zeke isnt making as many explosive plays as past seasons. The reason for that is speculation on both sides. Why ignore the reality that this line isn’t blocking the same and this should impact Zekes reads and decisions. Just as a QB who gets pressured often will start feeling pressure even when it’s not there. When the OL is struggling RBs tend to be hesitant waiting for holes to open. Running the ball is more complex than just running real fast into the place the hole should be.
I think these Zeke haters actually want Zeke to run full speed into the gap that the play is supposed to go to regardless if there is a man waiting for him there. They just want him to sprint into that tackle. Then they will complain that he is not breaking that tackle, or juking him out of his shoes. Great backs know the "gap" they are supposed to run through, and if it is not there, they jump cut to another gap. Zeke does this real good. But if all gaps are closed, they just want him to automatically go outside where magically he will always break a big one. Never realizing that CB's, LB's and safeties can also tackle him on the outside edge too and sometimes do so for a loss. It is rare to just go outside and get good yardage when the inside run was stuffed. Occasionally it happens but not enough to warrant doing it allot.

Personally I do not like the contract Zeke got and I do think it is going to hurt Dallas by not being able to pay everyone down the line. But Zeke is a great RB and all but maybe 3-4 teams would LOVE to have him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Lol basically admitting Zeke is a product of the offensive line.

2014-2016 has you guys thinking every RB in the league needs a line like that. RBs fun behind far worse lines and produce.

Stop the excuses. Dude is slow, doesn’t take the off-season seriously, and the holdout seriously impacted his play even more.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score

Stop the excuses. Dude is slow, doesn’t take the off-season seriously, and the holdout seriously impacted his play even more.

I understand opinions, but anyone claiming Zeke is slow is willfully being ignorant. Zeke is not slow by anyone's measure. Anyone running sub 4.5 40's is not slow. He may not be as fast as others, but that is not how we determine if someone is slow or not. :facepalm:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I understand opinions, but anyone claiming Zeke is slow is willfully being ignorant. Zeke is not slow by anyone's measure. Anyone running sub 4.5 40's is not slow. He may not be as fast as others, but that is not how we determine if someone is slow or not. :facepalm:

He ran that 4 years ago....

Dude can’t even break off for a 30+ yard run! His last 50+ yard run was over 2 years ago!

He has 1 run over 20 yards this season. ONE! Even his reception against the Lions was a 17 yarder in a straight line lol

superonyx

Reaction score
I saw one video. How many did you see? If there are more, post them so that I can see what you are talking about.

For the record, I don't believe you are an angry fan. I just think you are confused.
How many videos do you need to see?
Have you seen any that shows all the missed holes Zeke is too slow to run through?
If so please post at least 1.

People will believe what they want. They want to believe Zeke is just some lazy turd that got paid, broke down and checked out.
The evidence is actually much clearer that the blocking has been the problem.

I don't care enough about what others think to spend much time trying to convince someone from the internet world.
We can agree to disagree and be civil.

I see how many people around here work when it come to Dak and Zeke.

If Zeke struggles its becuase he is awful, fat, lazy.
If Zeke does well its because he has the best offensive line in the league.

If Dak struggles its because he sucks.
If Dak does well its because he has so many weapons around him and teams are trying to stop Zeke.

I'm not buying any of these extremes. This is the ultimate team sport and things are rarely to the extreme in any direction if you look below the surface.

superonyx

Reaction score

2014-2016 has you guys thinking every RB in the league needs a line like that. RBs fun behind far worse lines and produce.

That all sounds like your own personal bias. Just speculation projected on someone you don't know.

Zeke has led the league in yards every season he has been in the league. He led the league in yards per game in the season he was suspended.
The first season he doesnt lead the league in yards the pitchforks of extremism come out.

What RB led the league in rushing every season in his career?
Did Emmitt or Barry? No one has and no one will. Emmitt had 1300 yards or less in the majority of his years in the league.
Didn't mean he sucked. He wasnt running away form anyone either.

starman22

Reaction score
I wont disagree stats don't always tell the story and I do use them to support my arguments I'm not going to lie but if you cant see the regression in Zeke your just not willing to see it. Watch Pollard explode through those same holes. now in 4 years pollard may be washed up but part of the issue is Zeke.

as I watch the Oline I will agree they are not once they once was despite what stats say but they still are respectable. Zeke needs to pull his head out his arse. He has also admitted on multiple times he made wrong cuts and there are others you can see he missed and took wrong gap if you have played football at all.

I just had to check. Pollard is avg. 4.7 YPC, Zeke is at 4.3. Zeke's longest run is 27 yards, Pollard's is 28 (with admittedly fewer carries)

I remember back in the day when everybody's wanted Hambrick in because he had better ypc.
Backup RB's are always the darling when the run game isn't going as well as expected.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of this Zeke hate all over the place is unfounded. The REAL hate or criticism should be directed squarely to the offensive line.

The offensive line has sucked royally for weeks now. They are the ones looking fat and slow. They are getting routinely pushed backwards off the line. It is alarming how poorly the ENTIRE lot of them are playing. Every running play they are getting manhandled.

Yet, on passing plays they are doing well. Weird huh? Yeah. But then watch again and it seems that the way they are blocking on run plays is no different than how they block on passing plays.

Why?

I see no movement forward on running plays whatsoever. Frederick is a liability on running plays. He is usually getting pushed backwards. Collins was also. Even Tyron Smith is getting pushed backwards or at least stymied. Oh wait, not Martin too. Yeah Martin too is not getting enough push.

I really do not understand what people expect Zeke to do? Should he stop and spin and run outside like Barry Sanders? Well, he is no Barry Sanders. But it would take someone with equal swivel hips as Barry Sanders to do well with this line. Dallas OL has regressed BADLY.

Question, is this on Columbo? Does Moore have anything to do with this? Whoever is at fault, needs to be fired. This OL is a liability on running plays. No RB will ever flourish behind this line the way it is currently blocking.

I agree with your assessment, but would add that I feel that's it's both rather than one or the other.

Yes, the offensive line is not performing up to previous standards.

And yes also that Elliott is showing a lack of explosiveness and shiftiness.

Both things are true.