All time QB rating top 10 list

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Do you see any bad QB's high up on that list?
depends on what you mean up high. top 5? top 10? top 20?....some like goff, tannehill, cousins, carr, pennington are top 20....and then we get marino, favre, jim kelly much lower on the list....I mean deshan watson at #2....eeehhhh....that alone is enough to tell you what this rating really is....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Pathetic little haters like you always make me laugh.

I would not believe you if you said day was day and night was night.

Your head is so far up Daks southern end of contact if he ever gets constipated your head would look like one of those voodoo shrunken heads.
Hey, at least I have the decency to rip Dak a new one when he deserves it. You and your ilk towards The Choker? Heck no! Never!!!

Talk about an infatuation to a degree never seen in history until Y'all came about with your love fest. Yuck.

stiletto

Reaction score
depends on what you mean up high. top 5? top 10? top 20?....some like goff, tannehill, cousins, carr, pennington are top 20....and then we get marino, favre, jim kelly much lower on the list....I mean deshan watson at #2....eeehhhh....that alone is enough to tell you what this rating really is....

Are you rating Watson because of his QB play or his indiscretions? Because he has been a pretty phenomenal QB so far, much like Dak....Numbers, stats, and facts are stubborn things.

irishline

Reaction score
Look up and compare their playoffs career stats as well...Dak blows Romo out of the water.

Prescott: 64.1% completion, 5 TD, 2 Interceptions, 95.7 rating, 264 passing yards/game, 33% winning %
Romo: 62.6% completion, 8TD, 2 interceptions, 93.8 rating, 221 passing yards/game, 33% winning %

Yeah really blows him out of the water.

Loved Romo, love Dak, but at this point statistically there are pretty much the same QB whether we want to believe it or not. They are 1 regular season win apart (Romo 43, Dak 42), .2 QB rate different, 400 yards passing different in their first 69 games (Romo). Biggest difference was (during their first 69 games) Romo threw 27 more TDs and 20 more interceptions.

Both won their division twice. Also both have 1-2 playoff records in their first 5 years.

Honestly I don't see the need to put one down to prop the other up (either way) anyway, but its what we do. We wasted Romo's career, here is to hoping we don't do the same with Dak.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
1 Aaron Rodgers 104.93
2 Steve Young* 96.81
3 Tom Brady 96.62
4 Peyton Manning 95.71
5 Tony Romo 95.62
6 Philip Rivers 94.53
7 Drew Brees 94.27
8 Kurt Warner 93.71
9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.69
10 Joe Montana* 92.26

Nice to see Romo on there. At 97.3 QB rating Dak would be #2 all time if he continues his current pace.
Good list.

I realize you already know this, but the only way to truly measure this honestly is by adjusting it through time.
Ratings have steadly risen for 40 years, and with the rule changes have exploded the last 15

Basically, a 100 rating now equals about a 93-94 ten years ago and a 85 or so 25 years ago.
I’ve done a few calculations, but have seen better ones than mine on this.
Romo drops a little…maybe top 10-12 range
Dak is still good, but more like 30-35 range.
Mahomes is way up there still…as is Rodgers
Steve Youngs might be very top.

Montana’s 92 is probably higher than Rodgers 112, for example….not sure. Would have to look it up.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Prescott: 64.1% completion, 5 TD, 2 Interceptions, 95.7 rating, 264 passing yards/game, 33% winning %
Romo: 62.6% completion, 8TD, 2 interceptions, 93.8 rating, 221 passing yards/game, 33% winning %

Loved Romo, love Dak, but at this point statistically there are pretty much the same QB whether we want to believe it or not. They are 1 regular season win apart (Romo 43, Dak 42), .2 QB rate different, 400 yards passing difference in their first 69 games (Romo).

Both won their division twice. Also both have 1-2 playoff records in their first 5 years. Only difference would be the turnovers (fumble and Interception) Dak has about 18 less.

Honestly I don't see the need to put one down to prop the other up (either way) anyway, but its what we do. We wasted Romo's career, here is to hoping we don't do the same with Dak.
Average year of service about 10 years apart. So very different.

But I think you’re right, Romo had more TDs but aDak had less ints…..the key stat is TD-int differencial
Both have been good

Romo’s 97 rating would be about 105 in 2020….time adjusted

garyo1954

Reaction score
Yeah, let's use QBR!
It proves LaDainan Tomlinson, Walter Payton, and Marcus Allen, were as good as Steve Young!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hilarious. Steve Young belongs below the top 50 probably below the top 100. His only Super Bowl came at the hands of one of J.Jones worst decisions (of the many) he ever made.

Between 1992 and 1998, these are the Quarterbacks who played in the NFL:

Hall of Famer John Elway
Hall of Famer Dan Marino
Hall of Famer Joe Montana
Hall of Famer Troy Aikman
Hall of Famer Jim Kelly
Hall of Famer Brett Favre
Perennial Pro Bowler & 1998 OPOY Cunningham
Future MVP Kurt Warner
Future MVP Rich Gannon
Future MVP Steve McNair
And a little bit of Future HOF Peyton Manning

In that 7 year span, Steve Young made first or second team all pro 6 times. He outplayed the entire NFL hall of fame in the 90’s. John Elway won 2 superbowls, but Steve Young had a better decade. Brett Favre went to 2 Super Bowls, won 3 consecutive MVPs, and Steve Young still had a better decade. Troy Aikman made 4 consecutive NFCCGs, played in 3 Super Bowls and won all of them. But as far as playing the QB position, Steve Young had a better decade.

As you can see by the career passer rating marks, Steve Young was playing today’s style football 30 years ago. Ever here people talk about how Michael Jordan would do in today’s NBA? Steve Young would absolutely murder defenses with 2021’s rules. The only reason Steve Young isn’t on everyone’s list for top 5 QBs ever is because he only had about half a career’s worth of starts.

irishline

Reaction score
Average year of service about 10 years apart. So very different.

But I think you’re right, Romo had more TDs but aDak had less ints…..the key stat is TD-int differencial
Both have been good

Romo’s 97 rating would be about 105 in 2020….time adjusted

Yeah that one was to hard to calculate. For the rest of the stats I used their first 69 games. I did edit it with the TD and INTs for the first 69 games. Romo threw 27 more TDs and 20 more interceptions.

In essence, like you said, both were very good. Not their fault what was/is around them. No reason to use one to prop the other up and vice versa.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, Young would have 3 or 4 rings if it wasn't for the Cowboys. Those 49er teams were right there at the top. The real SB's were those Cowboys/49er Championship games in the 90s.
That muddy game at candlestick, that swamp,, I need to go back through some tape, but those were the classics.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Loved Romo, love Dak, but at this point statistically there are pretty much the same QB whether we want to believe it or not. They are 1 regular season win apart (Romo 43, Dak 42), .2 QB rate different, 400 yards passing different in their first 69 games (Romo). Biggest difference was (during their first 69 games) Romo threw 27 more TDs and 20 more interceptions.

Both won their division twice. Also both have 1-2 playoff records in their first 5 years.

:bow: Well stated...:starspin:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah that one was to hard to calculate. For the rest of the stats I used their first 69 games. I did edit it with the TD and INTs for the first 69 games. Romo threw 27 more TDs and 20 more interceptions.

In essence, like you said, both were very good. Not their fault what was/is around them. No reason to use one to prop the other up and vice versa.
Yeah

It's no surprise that almost all of the best TD-Int differentials in Cowboys history came in the last 15 years or so.
WAY easier now than in the 70s or 80s...just 10 years ago.

here they are
  1. Romo 2014 (+25).
  2. Romo 2013 (+21)
  3. Romo 2011 (+21)
  4. Prescott 2016 (+19)
  5. Prescott 2019 (+19)
  6. Romo 2009 (+17)
  7. Romo 2007 (+17)
  8. Staubach 1969 (+16)...probably the most impressive given the era and less games
  9. Prescott 2018 (+14)
  10. Merideth 1966 (+12)
  11. Staubach 1971 (+12)
With an extra game and a loaded offense, I think Dak will have a year that exceeds +25 either this year or next.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Passer Rating is not a good stat to define a player’s career, as it ages very poorly with generations and doesn’t factor in many of the things that make a QB great.

Scrambling ability is ignored completely. According to passer rating, Dak Prescott is as good with his feet as Peyton Manning was.

Touchdowns and Interceptions (particularly the ratio) are extremely weighted in passer rating. For example, QB’s in the 70’s could throw as many picks as TD’s and have great seasons. That pretty much defines HoFer Terry Bradshaw’s career. Doesn’t mean that now with hindsight we realize he wasn’t a good QB, it’s just how the NFL was played in the 70’s, as by rules, game plans, and what was stressed.

This is no more apparent than when Peyton Manning set the NFL record in 2013 for yards AND TDs in a season, yet Nick Foles had the league’s best passer rating just because his TD:INT ratio was 27:2. He didn’t play as well as Peyton, best better teams, nothing. He just had a wonky ratio, and passer rating digressed.

Troy Aikman’s offense dictated that Emmitt Smith scored all the TDs when they got in the red zone. This meant his TDs per yards thrown was not great for the QB he was. He’s still the same Troy Aikman if he’s in that offense or not, but passer rating says he’s not. And so, he’s way down the list.

Drew Brees has a career 67.7 completion percentage, 0.1 off from Deshaun Watson as the greatest ever. Drew Brees is the only QB to throw for 5000 yards multiple times… and he’s done it for 5 seasons. Yet his passer rating isn’t even 100 because the formula demands excessive TD passes to match excessive yards, regardless of reason. He is actually penalized by passer rating for being too good at moving the ball down the field.

it is an archaic stat, and it’s why ESPN came up with QBR in the first place, because passer rating… isn’t good. QBR has its own problems, but it’s a lot better at acknowledging the quirks that we’ve detailed.

terra

Reaction score
Hey, at least I have the decency to rip Dak a new one when he deserves it. You and your ilk towards The Choker? Heck no! Never!!!

Talk about an infatuation to a degree never seen in history until Y'all came about with your love fest. Yuck.
I posted that during that awful lions game Romo was not playing well and garret was an idiot for continuing to call passes. So right there that proves you are full of crap.

terra

Reaction score
You don’t like it because Dak excels in it.
according to those numbers you love so much David Garrard is a better QB than Staubach was.

So his point is dead on and you are full of it.

terra

Reaction score
You get triggered with facts about The Choker...aka Mr. Hollywood? lol
Triggered?

wow just another SJW huh? I figured as much. SJW's are usually full of bile, stupidity and really pathetic attempts at so called humor.

garyo1954

Reaction score
You get triggered with facts about The Choker...aka Mr. Hollywood? lol

Notice terra claims to be a "new poster," has 50 posts, and yet, on the other hand he says, "I posted that during that awful lions game Romo was not playing well and garret was an idiot for continuing to call passes. So right there that proves you are full of crap?"

Make you wonder how much crap he's putting out?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
1 Aaron Rodgers 104.93
2 Steve Young* 96.81
3 Tom Brady 96.62
4 Peyton Manning 95.71
5 Tony Romo 95.62
6 Philip Rivers 94.53
7 Drew Brees 94.27
8 Kurt Warner 93.71
9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.69
10 Joe Montana* 92.26

Nice to see Romo on there. At 97.3 QB rating Dak would be #2 all time if he continues his current pace.

Funny how most on that list won a Super Bowl or more.....how has Dak done in that category?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Are you rating Watson because of his QB play or his indiscretions? Because he has been a pretty phenomenal QB so far, much like Dak....Numbers, stats, and facts are stubborn things.
his QB play is not that great. he has two 4-12 seasons and a lot of his stats come in the 4th trying to come from behind....yeah he is a good deep ball thrower, but to think because of his rating he is better than manning, marino, favre, and brady....that just tells you a lot about the value of this rating..... I take it with a grain of salt.....

yeah, numbers, stats and facts (of those numbers) say that Tannehill is a better QB than Favre or Marino...do you really believe he is?