Am I The Only One Always Frustrated With Our Drafts?

Tristan

Reaction score
I think thing s have definately been better, but I agree that we have gotten too cute a few times.

I personally think it was a huge mistake to pass on Stephen Jackson, the extra second turned out to be a bust.

The one that still makes me sick to my stomach was trading back in the second last year to draft Fasano and not taking Marcus McNeil. I don't want to hear the back problems B.S. McNeil had top ten overall ability, to pass on him at that pick with our o-line problems was STUPID!

I have no problem with Fasano personally, I just feel our team is MUCH better with a young stud offensive tackle in the mix. Some may say stop crying over spilt milk, but every time we discuss the need to get a Tackle for the future I can't help but cry about the damm milk!

mmillman

Reaction score
zrinkill;1397198 said:
So you are saying that a guy who never brokered a big money deal in his life, was the guy who orchestrated the Walker deal?

I dont believe that at all ...... that was a million dollar trade and Jimmy was a college coach who never dealt with Salaries before .....

Jerry was the deal maker behind the Walker trade ...... Jimmy just gave him the college scouting knowledge to back it up.

That trade had nothing to do with Salaries and everything to do with the fact that Walker was overrated. Dallas saved money by that trade as they cut most of the guys who came from Minnesota and received a pre calculated draft pick in exchange. This was pre salary cap.

Johnson worked the draft as well as anybody. He shopped for the groceries and he cooked em!

Johnson was frustrated with Walker's lack of "wiggle" I believed he called it and dealt him. The idea came from Johnson and the i's were dotted by Jones. Johnson turned the team around through the draft in a real hurry and Jones tore it down through bad drafts and free agency in an equal hurry.

mmillman

Reaction score
the one that killed me was passing on Maroney. I know Dallas was interested in trading down to get him but couldn't work it out. I can't be positive but they probably could have drafted Maroney then traded down to get Carpenter.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mmillman;1397237 said:
That trade had nothing to do with Salaries and everything to do with the fact that Walker was overrated. Dallas saved money by that trade as they cut most of the guys who came from Minnesota and received a pre calculated draft pick in exchange. This was pre salary cap.

Johnson worked the draft as well as anybody. He shopped for the groceries and he cooked em!

Johnson was frustrated with Walker's lack of "wiggle" I believed he called it and dealt him. The idea came from Johnson and the i's were dotted by Jones. Johnson turned the team around through the draft in a real hurry and Jones tore it down through bad drafts and free agency in an equal hurry.

GM Mike Lynn of the Vikes dealt with GM Jerry Jones in getting the trade done. Jerry also caught the heat when many fans where hollering after the trade that we had just gotten rid of the only pro bowl player on the team. Jerry takes BS no matter what and when things go right well that was someone else. Fact is Jerry did pull off the trade with Lynn and Lynn lost his job for being stupid and giving up as much as he did to get Walker.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;1397242 said:
GM Mike Lynn of the Vikes dealt with GM Jerry Jones in getting the trade done. Jerry also caught the heat when many fans where hollering after the trade that we had just gotten rid of the only pro bowl player on the team. Jerry takes BS no matter what and when things go right well that was someone else. Fact is Jerry did pull off the trade with Lynn and Lynn lost his job for being stupid and giving up as much as he did to get Walker.

Thank you ...... some people do not listen.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
zrinkill;1397244 said:
Thank you ...... some people do not listen.

I love how many forget the reaction of many fans after the trade of how stupid Jones was for getting rid of the best player we had on the team at that time. When things started to pan out all of a sudden Jerry just signed off on it. Talk about having your cake and eating it too. Jones will never get any break from some fans and has not since the day he bought the team and Landry was fired.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
superpunk;1397175 said:
OK, hon - So if you had your druthers, you'd rather us draft like the Patriots.

Why don't we examine our two teams' drafts over the past 4 years?

Patriots

2003 draft - They had 10 picks in this draft. Only 4 remain with the team - Ty Warren, Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson and Dan Koppen. 2nd round receiver Bethel Johnson was traded to the saints last year, and couldn't catch onto a team where Terrence Copper played a significant role last year.

2004 draft - They began by drafting Wilfork, but followed it up with Ben Watson in the first round, despite spending a first rounder on Ben Graham two years prior. Neither TE has even approached first round worth, and the Patriots are rumored to be letting Graham walk soon. Aside from those 2, only Marquise Hill is still on their team, buried on the depth chart. 3 players out of 8 picks.

2005 draft - They helped their Oline here, with Kazcur and Mankins. Good draft - 4 out of 7 picks remain with the team.

2006 - They draft Maroney and Jackson, solid picks if unspectacular as rookies, and follow that up with TWO straight TE selections, despite having two first rounders on the roster. 4th round TE Mills is no longer with them. Decent draft - 6 out of 10 picks remain with the team.

In all, 17 out of 35 picks remain with the team. Slightly less than 50%. Few of those picks have distinguished themselves, at all. Mankins, Warren, Samuel are pretty much the cream. None have made the pro-bowl.

Cowboys -

2003 - Our first 4 picks remain with the team. Jason Witten is a perrenial pro-bowler, and Newman is one of the league's best corners. 4 out of 7

2004 - Without a first round pick, we move and select Julius, an average back. Patrick Crayton was a steal in the 7th. 4 out of 8 players remain.

2005 - DeMarcus Ware, pro-bowler. Marion Barber, second in te NFL in TDs. 6 out of 8 players remain on the team.

2006 - 7 of 8 players remain. None have distinguished themselves, but Watkins and Carpenter are at least starters. Hatcher contributed alot, as did Fasano when we stayed 2 TE.

That's 21 out of 31. That's 68%. Who should be emulating who, sweetie? Emulating the Patriots means having a lower success rate, drafting MORE Tight ends, and drafting QBs who never even palyed in college, not to mention Kliff Klingsbury. Also, we would have to draft LESS impact players and pro-bowlers, to emulate them correctly.

Sit down, hon.

What I find really funny about this (besides the fact that SP slapped that troll down) is that it looks like The Pats drafted just like the Boys did during and following their Dynasty ......

yet Jerry is a bad GM ..... :rolleyes: ....... When you ahve a Dynasty you do everything you can to keep it until its over (aka Troy retired) Then you have a bad number of years trying to recover. Thats why every Dynasty takes years and years to get back to prominence ....

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1397175 said:

Patriots

2003 draft - They had 10 picks in this draft. Only 4 remain with the team - Ty Warren, Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson and Dan Koppen. 2nd round receiver Bethel Johnson was traded to the saints last year, and couldn't catch onto a team where Terrence Copper played a significant role last year.

2004 draft - They began by drafting Wilfork, but followed it up with Ben Watson in the first round, despite spending a first rounder on Ben Graham two years prior. Neither TE has even approached first round worth, and the Patriots are rumored to be letting Graham walk soon. Aside from those 2, only Marquise Hill is still on their team, buried on the depth chart. 3 players out of 8 picks.

2005 draft - They helped their Oline here, with Kazcur and Mankins. Good draft - 4 out of 7 picks remain with the team.

2006 - They draft Maroney and Jackson, solid picks if unspectacular as rookies, and follow that up with TWO straight TE selections, despite having two first rounders on the roster. 4th round TE Mills is no longer with them. Decent draft - 6 out of 10 picks remain with the team.

In all, 17 out of 35 picks remain with the team. Slightly less than 50%. Few of those picks have distinguished themselves, at all. Mankins, Warren, Samuel are pretty much the cream. None have made the pro-bowl.

Cowboys -

2003 - Our first 4 picks remain with the team. Jason Witten is a perrenial pro-bowler, and Newman is one of the league's best corners. 4 out of 7

2004 - Without a first round pick, we move and select Julius, an average back. Patrick Crayton was a steal in the 7th. 4 out of 8 players remain.

2005 - DeMarcus Ware, pro-bowler. Marion Barber, second in te NFL in TDs. 6 out of 8 players remain on the team.

2006 - 7 of 8 players remain. None have distinguished themselves, but Watkins and Carpenter are at least starters. Hatcher contributed alot, as did Fasano when we stayed 2 TE.

That's 21 out of 31. That's 68%. Who should be emulating who, sweetie? Emulating the Patriots means having a lower success rate, drafting MORE Tight ends, and drafting QBs who never even palyed in college, not to mention Kliff Klingsbury. Also, we would have to draft LESS impact players and pro-bowlers, to emulate them correctly.

Sit down, hon.
Yawn. Whatever you say. Please examine all our drafts and tell me what a success they all were. LOL. Lacewell's back, should be great, right "hon"? LOL

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
philo beddoe;1397384 said:
Yawn. Whatever you say. Please examine all our drafts and tell me what a success they all were. LOL. Lacewell's back, should be great, right "hon"? LOL
Dude, this is a cop out. He broke things down year by year and presented an argument or topic that is debatable.

You threw out the same regurgitated line (with a twist) that his argument clearly refutes.

Man up or shut up. Come on, those are the only choices any of us have when someone blows our opinion out of the water.

Maxmadden

Reaction score

Beside what Hostile told you, YOU need to examine the drafts your the one with all the frustration.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;1397389 said:
Dude, this is a cop out.

And you expected different, brother? I mean ace? I mean pal?

Damnit, I mean Hostile? You expected different...

:rolleyes:

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1397389 said:
Dude, this is a cop out. He broke things down year by year and presented an argument or topic that is debatable.

You threw out the same regurgitated line (with a twist) that his argument clearly refutes.

Man up or shut up. Come on, those are the only choices any of us have when someone blows our opinion out of the water.
You can pick around and spin all you want. The fact is that we don't draft very well, even during the BP years. The Patriots have been winning Super Bowls and playoff games while we piss away 2nd round picks annually. The guy's purpose was to show how great we draft, compared to others, which is wrong on it's face. I'm not wasting my time with a homer whose mind is already made up and whose opinion is set in stone. Sure, every team makes bad picks, we just tend to make more than most. As far as good picks, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

philo beddoe

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars;1397401 said:
And you expected different, brother? I mean ace? I mean pal?

Damnit, I mean Hostile? You expected different...

:rolleyes:
Philo Beddoe does not "cop out". Great term from the 70's though. LOL

zeromaster

Reaction score
Weak comeback, even by your standards...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Phillo has officially taken the "forum joke" title away from BB ...... with Prophet running a close second ....

;) Its like the second coming of Nors

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
zrinkill;1397521 said:
I think Phillo has officially taken the "forum joke" title away from BB ...... with Prophet running a close second ....

;) Its like the second coming of Nors

at least BB was funny...at times

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
superpunk;1397175 said:

Patriots

Cowboys -

Sit down, hon.

philo....
owned.jpg

superpunk

Reaction score

Nice response, doll-face. About what I expected.