Video: AM: O-line run blocking

Brooksey

Reaction score
We improved our pass play design this year (added the '92-'95 slant back into playbook) and completely lost our way with the run game. Coaching seems disinterested in running play design and execution. Zeke is a great football player, tough kid. These coaches stink

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Good video. The run blocking is worse in 2019 than in 2016.

But Zeke is also slower, more hesitant, and has lost his burst.

These truths are not mutually exclusive.

I only watched about half but did he show any runs from this season? I feel like a few of those runs where Zeke is turning in the afterburners and getting 40+ yards now are only 12-15 because he can't outrun the safety. Specifically the run at the 4 minute mark, I don't think Zeke this year would break that big. The oline isn't as good but they have blocked some runs on that level and Zeke did nothing with it.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Also, I saw a tweet that indicated that Pollard is possibly running better than Zeke. Pollard has four broken tackles on the year to Zeke's 6. Which Pollard has far fewer carries than Zeke. It also stated that on a per attempt basis, Pollard is getting more yards after contact than Zeke. If i can find the tweet I'll edit the post.

dfense

Reaction score
Also, I saw a tweet that indicated that Pollard is possibly running better than Zeke. Pollard has four broken tackles on the year to Zeke's 6. Which Pollard has far fewer carries than Zeke. It also stated that on a per attempt basis, Pollard is getting more yards after contact than Zeke. If i can find the tweet I'll edit the post.
Pollard has a second gear, much like Cook when hitting the hole. Has anyone seen that from Zeke this year? Even lineman catch him by his ankles when getting past them.

Reactions: CWR

birdwells1

Reaction score
I only watched about half but did he show any runs from this season? I feel like a few of those runs where Zeke is turning in the afterburners and getting 40+ yards now are only 12-15 because he can't outrun the safety. Specifically the run at the 4 minute mark, I don't think Zeke this year would break that big. The oline isn't as good but they have blocked some runs on that level and Zeke did nothing with it.
It's kind of unfair to speculate when you've admitted to not viewing the whole video, he hows how the line blocked in 2016 and later show them today to give a good compare and contrast.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Pollard has a second gear, much like Cook when hitting the hole. Has anyone seen that from Zeke this year? Even lineman catch him by his ankles when getting past them.

Zeke is this years Dez Bryant, this oline isn't blocking up to their reputation and this is the second game where they've been totally dominated (Saints).

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It's kind of unfair to speculate when you've admitted to not viewing the whole video, he hows how the line blocked in 2016 and later show them today to give a good compare and contrast.

I wasn't able to watch the whole video at the time, but I already know the line isn't blocking as well on a consistent basis this year. But I've seen well-blocked carries this season where Zeke isn't evading that last player to get a long gain.

Edit: I watched the whole video now and it basically was exactly as I expected. I do agree with Akoye saying that the playcalling is not doing Zeke any favors. That being said, Akoye even says in the video that Zeke could possibly be a bit slower because he has put on weight to be more of a thumper.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Exactly. The top end speed is not there. The acceleration is not there. The vision and decisiveness is not there.

The blocking has regressed as well... put that all together and you get an average ground attack.

Zeke is a grinder and a thumper now. Durable and at times he can still stack yards up— but he simply is not a threat to break a run wide open anymore.

And he is being paid to be a game-breaker.

Sydla

Reaction score
Good video. The run blocking is worse in 2019 than in 2016.

But Zeke is also slower, more hesitant, and has lost his burst.

These truths are not mutually exclusive.

Exactly.

It's not an either/or situation here.

Sydla

Reaction score
People seem to like Colombo.

I think we need a purge of some offensive coaches as well as defensive ones.

Creeper

Reaction score
This video breakdown highlights a lot of what people have been saying. Frederick is not who he was. Martin is not who he was. Tyron Smith is not who he was either. All true. But the 2019 video shows something else. Almost every play shown in this video from 2019, count the bodies at the LOS after the snap compared to blockers. Both Philly and the Vikings put one more in the box than the Cowboys had lined up as blockers. If the Cowboys offensive linemen can;t win their one on one battles then there will always be a free defender to make a play. Also, watch how fast the Vikings LB attacks the LOS after the snap which overwhelms the offensive line. Compare the Vikings LBs filling gaps to how the Cowboys LBs play well off the LOS and are slow to fill the gaps. This is why how many in the box before the snap doesn't always matter. Having extra guys come down and attack the gaps is how they play to stop the run.

The Cowboys offensive line was losing 1 on 1 battles against the Vikings front 4. It was actually worse against the Jets. I guess the question is, why? Its not just technique. Its as if the Cowboys OL lacks strength which may be the case for Frederick who ise dealing with the after effects of GB syndrome. Martin has back and knee issues which could prevent him from getting the kind of leverage he'd like to get. Connor Williams is still not strong enough. Tyron Smith is dealing with knee and back issues and Collins is dealing with the same. Consequently, the Cowboys are getting out-muscled at the point of attack. But they are pass protecting pretty well.

So what do you do about this? One thing is to recognize the limitations of the front 5. They pass protect better than they run block. Maybe against the stronger defenses it would be smart to throw more on 1st downs and key situations, like 3rd and 2 inside the red zone. It is what it is and I don;t think the offensive line is going to just flip a switch and suddenly block like supermen. The coaches have to play to their strengths, not stubbornly press a weakness hoping it works.