Amari Cooper and the Antonio Brown Trade

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
People are trying so hard to turn this into an Amari vs. AB debate.

We won the Amari trade. The Raiders won the AB trade. That simple.
Raiders needed a splash move and they got one without coughing up one of their 1sts

Big difference with Amari was he on the field helping us during the playoffs and ABrown quit on his team and went home for their last game

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed but for how much longer? I think he'll do well but doubt he puts up #1 WR numbers 100-120 catches, 12-15 TD's at 32, 33 year old

I think the Raiders still need a young Amari Cooper. Back to the drawing board
For whatever reason, the Gruden-Cooper match didn't cut it and could have been Cooper wasn't buying what Gruden was selling and no coach can have that.

Don't know how Brown will do in OAK because they have problems like playing in the best division in the AFC against high octane offenses and from a consistent performance viewpoint, Brown is among, if not, the best. Any young receivers can learn from his work ethic because as a player, he's about as good as they come.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Raiders lost a young top 5 pick and picked up an aging 31 year old veteran with an attitude problem and a $50 million dollar contract. We'll see if the #1 WR in football Antonio Brown shows up, I doubt it. Maybe for a season but I'm projecting a slip in production. If I'm wrong i'll admit it when it happens

A new coaching staff came in, evaluated Cooper and saw he wasn't the guy the last coaching staff thought he would be, tossed him on the trade block where everyone was throwing seconds and thirds and they got us to give them a first - for a player that disappointed them, they got rid of him for a first round pick still. That's a W for them. Again, whether you want to say Brown is a "2 year rental" - they still replaced Cooper with the best WR in the league. It's not as though they don't have the cap space and they certainly have the picks to fill other needs.

There is more of a chance you're wrong about Cooper since he's been inconsistent and becomes a ghost for stretches in a season.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders lost a young top 5 pick and picked up an aging 31 year old veteran with an attitude problem and a $50 million dollar contract. We'll see if the #1 WR in football Antonio Brown shows up, I doubt it. Maybe for a season but I'm projecting a slip in production. If I'm wrong i'll admit it when it happens
I think that attitude problem stays in PIT with that HC and QB. He will come to play.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
This only makes sense in regards to Cooper if the Raiders knew they could acquire Brown for next to nothing.

They didn't.

Brooksey

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the Gruden-Cooper match didn't cut it and could have been Cooper wasn't buying what Gruden was selling and no coach can have that.

Don't know how Brown will do in OAK because they have problems like playing in the best division in the AFC against high octane offenses and from a consistent performance viewpoint, Brown is among, if not, the best. Any young receivers can learn from his work ethic because as a player, he's about as good as they come.

Antonio Brown will be good for the young guys they draft this year absolutely. If they only had Amari Cooper and then acquired AB, they would really have something. They still need to hit on a draft pick to make up for Cooper. AB is a two year rental to save face for losing Cooper and to have some firepower moving into Las Vegas in 2020. IMO

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The real story here is the best WR in the game can only bring a 3rd and 5th because of the $ involved, how does this affect trying to trade Lawrence, if that's what they're considering? I still do not see any team willing to give up a 1st for Lawrence.

Brooksey

Reaction score
A new coaching staff came in, evaluated Cooper and saw he wasn't the guy the last coaching staff thought he would be, tossed him on the trade block where everyone was throwing seconds and thirds and they got us to give them a first - for a player that disappointed them, they got rid of him for a first round pick still. That's a W for them.

You should continue your story... Then that guy they evaluated, that top 5 pick went to Dallas, exploded and embarrassed the Raiders and John Gruden. To save face they picked up Antonio Brown who turning 31, gave away two draft picks and paid $50 million.

LMAO

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The real story here is the best WR in the game can only bring a 3rd and 5th because of the $ involved, how does this affect trying to trade Lawrence, if that's what they're considering? I still do not see any team willing to give up a 1st for Lawrence.
Age and character issues.

D-Law is only 26 (soon to be 27) and checks out character wise.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Antonio Brown will be good for the young guys they draft this year absolutely. If they only had Amari Cooper and then acquired AB, they would really have something. They still need to hit on a draft pick to make up for Cooper. AB is a two year rental to save face for losing Cooper and to have some firepower moving into Las Vegas in 2020. IMO
Agree and this is Gruden sending a message to his team, we will compete this season. Had to be some players wondering what the hell is going on with Cooper and Mack gone, who's next? Bringing in Brown and making him the highest paid WR just got his players' attention.

And if I am a HC trying to rebuild, I need some veteran players setting the tone in practice. albeit, an expensive role model. However, Irvin was a great WR but his value was even better on the practice field where he set the example for the team, not just the WR's. And he was a high strung person like Brown.

And that Vegas move is why Gruden is there. There is no hot seat for him and he has an extended honeymoon with Davis and can make moves like he's made without fear of it not working out. And from his vantage point, he gest a highly motivated best route runner in the game for his QB, whoever that might be.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You should continue your story... Then that guy they evaluated, that top 5 pick went to Dallas, exploded and embarrassed the Raiders and John Gruden. To save face they picked up Antonio Brown who turning 31, gave away two draft picks and paid $50 million.

LMAO

Amari Cooper had 3 100+ yard games, 200 of those yards game in a single game along with 3 TDs. He had 4 other games where he had less than 40 yards receiving.

Cooper's numbers were incredibly inflated by two games against the Commanders and Eagles. He also was part of our first shutout since 2003, remember that?

There was not "Explosion" - Cooper had a 200 yard receiving game with the Raiders as well. Had 2 100 yard receiving games with the Raiders before he was traded as well. You get the reason he was traded? Because the dude will have a big game and turn around and have 2-3 games where he has 1 or 2 catches for for 20 yards or less.

This crap that Cooper "Changed" everything is BS - what saved us was our defense. Without our D we don't win the Saints game, and we sure as hell couldn't win with Cooper against the Colts where we put up a big 0. Against the Giants, despite putting up 30+ points, Cooper was a ghost.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Raiders have 4 top 35 picks, lets see what they can come up with.

They accumulated picks like the Browns did over a few years. And it seemed it worked for the Browns.
I think it will for the Raiders also, but will take a little longer. As they did not have as many as the Browns did.

A few years ago or 3, I brought up and asked why are the Browns keep trading down, and accumulated picks. so they will some a lot of good players. but not great.
But then the last 2 years they made some really good use of the high picks. And it is paying off. They now have some great players, potentially, and a good mix of good players too.

Time will tell with both teams. but building through the draft has always been the way to go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Age and character issues.

D-Law is only 26 (soon to be 27) and checks out character wise.
I don't like his behavior but this isn't all on him about the character, takes two to tango and that team has some real illness on it. They only did day surgery on it.

Brown, at soon to be 31, is better than Lawrence at 27 at his position and both disappeared, for different reasons, late in the season. If I am a potential trade partner for Lawrence, one thig that is going to stand out to me. Where is the hell was he late in the season and the injury is an excuse, he had that all season.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Amari Cooper had 3 100+ yard games, 200 of those yards game in a single game along with 3 TDs. He had 4 other games where he had less than 40 yards receiving.

Cooper's numbers were incredibly inflated by two games against the Commanders and Eagles. He also was part of our first shutout since 2003, remember that?

There was not "Explosion" - Cooper had a 200 yard receiving game with the Raiders as well. Had 2 100 yard receiving games with the Raiders before he was traded as well. You get the reason he was traded? Because the dude will have a big game and turn around and have 2-3 games where he has 1 or 2 catches for for 20 yards or less.

This crap that Cooper "Changed" everything is BS - what saved us was our defense. Without our D we don't win the Saints game, and we sure as hell couldn't win with Cooper against the Colts where we put up a big 0. Against the Giants, despite putting up 30+ points, Cooper was a ghost.

You're right, the whole world is wrong

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They accumulated picks like the Browns did over a few years. And it seemed it worked for the Browns.
I think it will for the Raiders also, but will take a little longer. As they did not have as many as the Browns did.

A few years ago or 3, I brought up and asked why are the Browns keep trading down, and accumulated picks. so they will some a lot of good players. but not great.
But then the last 2 years they made some really good use of the high picks. And it is paying off. They now have some great players, potentially, and a good mix of good players too.

Time will tell with both teams. but building through the draft has always been the way to go.
And Gruden is not on any hot seat like the Browns' HC's have been and they made some really questionable trades for quantity and that's why it took them so long to climb out of the dump.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score

To put the blame solely on Amari for some of those low yardage games is being disingenuous considering he was acquired mid-season and had to learn the playbook on the fly. It's also common for top WR's to put up low totals (go look at Tyreek Hill's game logs from last year) for a variety of reasons - double coverage, missed reads by the QB, run dominant scheme, etc. etc., not to mention being traded mid-season.

And like I mentioned in a previous post, you can try to minimize his numbers by pointing out the volatility in yardage, but he was on a 1,300 yard 11 TD pace with us. While learning the playbook on the fly. With a terrible OC. With no chemistry with Dak. AND he balled out in the playoffs.

You just had to be that guy.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Cooper helped our offense big time.. He's an outstanding route runner, an incredible talent and a fine young man

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You're right, the whole world is wrong

The "whole world" does not view Cooper the way you do - again, go talk to some Raiders fans who say he loses focus and has bad hands (he does, historically bad)

This touting a MAYBE top 15 receiver is ridiculous. Brown might be a future HOF and give Raiders 3-4 great seasons. Cooper's butter fingers might return next season when crap hits the fan.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The "whole world" does not view Cooper the way you do - again, go talk to some Raiders fans who say he loses focus and has bad hands (he does, historically bad)

This touting a MAYBE top 15 receiver is ridiculous. Brown might be a future HOF and give Raiders 3-4 great seasons. Cooper's butter fingers might return next season when crap hits the fan.

The whole world knows Amari Cooper helped our offense big time this year...Except you