Audio: Amari Cooper Interview on 105.3 The Fan

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He sounds irritated about the offense. I like it. Somebody needed to speak up.

Lockerroom (as I predicted) is starting to react to Rayne's ineptness.......only natural as 666 is making these guys and the offense look bad.

Last edited:

vlad

Reaction score
I’m curious if we’ll have the TO effect - he said something and then had like 20 targets next game lol.

i do wonder how hurt Amari is, we don’t run anything that seems to leverage the fact that mess a great route runner that can beat with his quick change of direction off the line. Very strange but I’m no coach

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I heard it live he slipped up and said how they felt about the play calling but took it back……
Did you listen? Wasn't a shot at anyone but if you want to twist it that way, it would be more of a shot at Moore unless you think Dak is changing plays at the LOS every time they get into the red zone. He didn't talk about being open and not being looked at in the patterns that are actually being run he specifically talked about how the OC has to look at the play calling from a holistic approach and not just a WR perspective and how they only run plays in the games that they practice during the week. I suspect he'll get his wish this week. Let's see how it goes.

Yes, definitely no 'shots fired' at Dak.

The hosts manipulated him into what was a mild criticism of Kellen Moore with regards to the 2-deep Safety issue.

He said that they're having success running the ball vs 2-deep but that inevitably leads to being in the 'red area' where it is hard to score.
- Amari wants more opportunities from outside the 'red area' for scoring plays to avoid having to score from the 'red area'.

I think he might be using the term 'red area' to expand beyond the traditional definition of 'red zone' which is limited to 20 yards for the goalline.

I think his comments were more about analyzing what has happened and what they need to change as opposed to criticizing what has happened.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m curious if we’ll have the TO effect - he said something and then had like 20 targets next game lol.

i do wonder how hurt Amari is, we don’t run anything that seems to leverage the fact that mess a great route runner that can beat with his quick change of direction off the line. Very strange but I’m no coach

Cooper being on the field definitely helps all other offensive players even in games where he has limited targets.

It was obvious when he was out that other players struggle.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why would he fire shots at Moore when Moore isn't the person playing terrible at the QB position?
Because Moore is the one who seems to have gone into a shell since the pats game. No motion, no creativity, no anything. Looks like a JG offense. Blame Dak all you want and he definitely deserves criticism for his play but the play calling has been weird for awhile.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Yes, definitely no 'shots fired' at Dak.

The hosts manipulated him into what was a mild criticism of Kellen Moore with regards to the 2-deep Safety issue.

He said that they're having success running the ball vs 2-deep but that inevitably leads to being in the 'red area' where it is hard to score.
- Amari wants more opportunities from outside the 'red area' for scoring plays to avoid having to score from the 'red area'.

I think he might be using the term 'red area' to expand beyond the traditional definition of 'red zone' which is limited to 20 yards for the goalline.

I think his comments were more about analyzing what has happened and what they need to change as opposed to criticizing what has happened.
Ad probably stuff Moore agrees with and is already looking at working on too

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I get what Amari is saying but I don’t agree.

We are a team that goes as it’s run game goes. If we get pass happy we aren’t the same team.

The key is getting the ground game so good that the safety plays up.

Pollard is the answer to everything.

khiladi

Reaction score
Amari basically stated what’s happening in the interview that was posted here close to the end.

The reality is, with a top flight RG and OL, you can run against cover 2 to move the ball. But then the red zone happens and you need to either be able to pass or continue to run. Outside, it’s the ‘big play’ ability of an offense that allows you to avoid the problem. That is what Dak has been getting away with all these years with that single safety high and these WRs that can win their man matchups.

Now that teams don’t need to bring extra men in the box regularly for the run game, they can sit back in zone more and Dak is being exposed for what he is, a system QB. He’s never been a progression Qb, who can throw to WRs sitting in zones.

DAK CAN’T THROW AGAINST ZONES. He is extremely conservative. He is not nor was ever a progression QB. Moore needs to scheme for the early progressions for Dak, otherwise he rushes through his progressions and defaults more often than not to Zeke.

Many of these quick screens are called precisely because of this issue. It’s to try and force the defense to play closer to the line. It’s taking into account Dak’s limitations.

This goes back to when Amari first came here, nothing new. WRs won’t take the criticisms for their inept QB play as time goes on and they are singled out for ‘disappearing’.

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Holy Crap that dude on the left is a a video in himself on how Covid is spread . Pickin his nose rolling it in his fingers then biting on his thumb nail for 10 minutes all while touching everything . What a smacked glass
Icky

Zordon

Reaction score
Amari basically stated what’s happening in the interview that was posted here close to the end.

The reality is, with a top flight RG and OL, you can run against cover 2 to move the ball. But then the red zone happens and you need to either be able to pass or continue to run. Outside, it’s the ‘big play’ ability of an offense that allows you to avoid the problem. That is what Dak has been getting away with all these years with that single safety high and these WRs that can win their man matchups.

Now that teams don’t need to bring extra men in the box regularly for the run game, they can sit back in zone more and Dak is being exposed for what he is, a system QB. He’s never been a progression Qb, who can throw to WRs sitting in zones.

DAK CAN’T THROW AGAINST ZONES. He is extremely conservative. He is not nor was ever a progression QB. Moore needs to scheme for the early progressions for Dak, otherwise he rushes through his progressions and defaults more often than not to Zeke.

Many of these quick screens are called precisely because of this issue. It’s to try and force the defense to play closer to the line. It’s taking into account Dak’s limitations.

This goes back to when Amari first came here, nothing new. WRs won’t take the criticisms for their inept QB play as time goes on and they are singled out for ‘disappearing’.
khiladi preaching the gospel. @WillieBeamen

khiladi

Reaction score
And the other point is this..

Yes, when your surrounding roster starts to deteriorate in play, for whatever the reasons, it is natural the QB would as well, IF the drop off is heavy.

BUT, the surrounding casts was and is ELITE. Their drop off has not been as bad as the Dak-stans are making it. Just because their OL and RG is not playing at a production that was never sustainable anyways, doesn’t mean it excuses the Qb.

The blocking game and RG is more than adequate. It is not their fault Dak is slow processing the field and his “rushing through the progressions” is more because he is scared and doesn’t trust his skills, and is defaulting to his check down.

That’s not what being an “elite” QB is. That’s a dime a dozen QB.

Couple in the fact the defense is now forcing TOs at this pace, it’s actually making it worse to defend Dak, because these are back breakers for opposing defenses, as they watch their inept offenses consistently commit TOs.

Dak is actually bringing the team down with his play. He IS the main problem.

Zordon

Reaction score
And the other point is this..

Yes, when your surrounding roster starts to deteriorate in play, for whatever the reasons, it is natural the QB would as well, IF the drop off is heavy.

BUT, the surrounding casts was and is ELITE. Their drop off has not been as bad as the Dak-stans are making it. Just because their OL and RG is not playing at a production that was never sustainable anyways, doesn’t mean it excuses the Qb.

The blocking game and RG is more than adequate. It is not their fault Dak is slow processing the field and his “rushing through the progressions” is more because he is scared and doesn’t trust his skills, and is defaulting to his check down.

That’s not what being an “elite” QB is. That’s a dime a dozen QB.
Oline play has not been as bad as people have made it out to be. The NFL is full of bad oline play. That's not the case in Dallas.

I don't like how everyone is starting to get the Dez treatment because of Dak's inadequacies. History is repeating itself.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We are gonna be ok kids. I promise.

We have one krytonite....a twelve degree late January Wisconsin day with wind and things falling from the sky.

Make that Northern Wisconsin.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Actually we have been running them....they just don't have the QB that can get them the football on a consistent basis.
Lol cooper said they havent been running them. I guess you know more than the wr on the team as to what plays are being called.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Lol cooper said they havent been running them. I guess you know more than the wr on the team as to what plays are being called.

That is the issue with many of our supposed “expert” posters - they literally act as if their understanding of what’s going on is far superior to folks that a) are actually involved in the day to day actions of the team and b) other folks that actually got checks from the NFL. Just more of the empowering world of social media.

:facepalm:

conner01

Reaction score
But he checks out of them.
He checks to run or pass
That’s has little to do with which WR is targeted
Moore calls a run/ pass option
Depending on the defense he checks to the best option