Audio: Amari Cooper Interview on 105.3 The Fan

pitt33

Reaction score
He checks to run or pass
That’s has little to do with which WR is targeted
Moore calls a run/ pass option
Depending on the defense he checks to the best option
I understand that.

Read that he checked out of 12 plays during the WFT game and the offense gained a grand total of 23 yards

Blackrain

Reaction score
We aren’t playing very good QBs.

But to be fair we held Mahomes to 19 points on the road with no Lawrence or Gregory.

Agreed brother but I believe KC was struggling then . It seems KC has turned it on offensively of late and we have struggled but had the good fortune to play fair to bad teams with injury and covid problems

Haimerej

Reaction score
6:50

Exactly what we have been seeing from this offense for 5 years. He even suggests trying harder to score from outside the redzone because they have so much trouble scoring from inside the redzone.

Yeah. For all the talk about playcalling, I thought him saying they need to score from outside the 20s was a shot at Dak. Saying it gets harder in the red zone is specifically directed at the QB. Blocking doesn't change, route running doesn't change, running lanes don't change, but there's less space in the defensive backfield. Your QB not only has to read the field quicker, his throwing windows are much smaller.

How many years is this now that we're still having red zone issues?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. For all the talk about playcalling, I thought him saying they need to score from outside the 20s was a shot at Dak. Saying it gets harder in the red zone is specifically directed at the QB. Blocking doesn't change, route running doesn't change, running lanes don't change, but there's less space in the defensive backfield. Your QB not only has to read the field quicker, his throwing windows are much smaller.

How many years is this now that we're still having red zone issues?
I agree!!!!
Since Zeke banner year (2016) scoring in the Redzone is not only a constant problem but it pretty much verifies the tier 3 status of Dak.
Tight coverage and Dak simply cannot read and decide fast enough what to do with the ball then opts for the check down or runs with the ball(Prior to his inj) which is stopped short of a TD and we kick another FG.
How many times have we seen the above occur?

khiladi

Reaction score
How would you know?
You know the play called and the playbook?

Moore said before the Commanders game, Dak is rushing through his reads.

“When you're at that point where you see things -- and I think Dak is starting to see things so quickly that sometimes you get past someone rather quickly -- you kind of get to the answers to the test a little too fast,” offensive coordinator Kellen Moore said.

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...ve-game-offensive-lull-our-best-ball-is-ahead

Again, this is nothing new and the game tape shows this. This is a nice way of saying Dak is panicking and rushing through his progressions, ultimately ending up in the check-down.

Dak is a one-read, system QB. This is obvious as more and more experts like Jimmy Johnson say that the play calling needs to get the ball out in the earlier progressions.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree!!!!
Since Zeke banner year (2016) scoring in the Redzone is not only a constant problem but it pretty much verifies the tier 3 status of Dak.
Tight coverage and Dak simply cannot read and decide fast enough what to do with the ball then opts for the check down or runs with the ball(Prior to his inj) which is stopped short of a TD and we kick another FG.
How many times have we seen the above occur?

Now we can’t even run consistently against cover 2 shell to force the defenders into the box and more man. So Dak is the worst player on the field, because he has to pass regularly against them.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
But he checks out of them.
Yeh hes given the authority to check into plays depending on how the d is aligned. If we have more blockers than they have in the box he checks to a run. Problem is our o line has been bad

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The dude is getting paid big bucks & isn’t touching the ball. I get why he’s mad. It’s not his fault. He’s probably the best route runner in the nfl since Fitzgerald retired. He wants to earn his check.

Dak & him were making huge plays when he came to Dallas. Now the offense has stalled. We need to stretch the field. I don’t know if it’s Kellen, Dak or both but we aren’t throwing the ball down field.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oline play has not been as bad as people have made it out to be. The NFL is full of bad oline play. That's not the case in Dallas.

I don't like how everyone is starting to get the Dez treatment because of Dak's inadequacies. History is repeating itself.
Before you know it Dak will be saying about Amari......Well, I hit him in the face mask.....Vroommmmmm under the Bus Coop goes....

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Cole Beasley, Sept 2018.
I really liked Cole as a Cowboy, but I understand why they let him walk. And we probably have a better 3 now without him. I don't do social media so I only read what he said posted on here. Not the biggest fan of any player using those platforms to talk about their team. But I still think he was special, not someone who could be replace with an UDFA like some believed.

I always thought he was a perfect match for Brady. With his quickness and Tom's accuracy, I think he could have went from very good to elite. Just my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas!

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Amari basically stated what’s happening in the interview that was posted here close to the end.

The reality is, with a top flight RG and OL, you can run against cover 2 to move the ball. But then the red zone happens and you need to either be able to pass or continue to run. Outside, it’s the ‘big play’ ability of an offense that allows you to avoid the problem. That is what Dak has been getting away with all these years with that single safety high and these WRs that can win their man matchups.

Now that teams don’t need to bring extra men in the box regularly for the run game, they can sit back in zone more and Dak is being exposed for what he is, a system QB. He’s never been a progression Qb, who can throw to WRs sitting in zones.

DAK CAN’T THROW AGAINST ZONES. He is extremely conservative. He is not nor was ever a progression QB. Moore needs to scheme for the early progressions for Dak, otherwise he rushes through his progressions and defaults more often than not to Zeke.

Many of these quick screens are called precisely because of this issue. It’s to try and force the defense to play closer to the line. It’s taking into account Dak’s limitations.

This goes back to when Amari first came here, nothing new. WRs won’t take the criticisms for their inept QB play as time goes on and they are singled out for ‘disappearing’.
Outside of the Dak stance, I share your thoughts on this team to a T. You don't post just to post, you always back up you views with very good opinions. or facts. I don't disagree with you on Dak, honestly even after all these years I'm not sure where I stand. At 6-1, I thought I was off the fence. But these last 7 games have me perched back on top. That's a big enough sample to be very concerned.

I just hope they can figure it out before the games really count. (if even possible)

I wish I could give you a hug.:grin: Merry Christmas my friend.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We won't see passing plays that are affective far downfield when the OL can't pass block effectively enough to provide the needed time. Kellen Moore can't correct it with his play calls any more than Dak can with his passing. What we see presently is a short passing game to compensate for the OL's pass blocking shortcomings. Placing the blame for that on one or two players is just a careless way of pointing out the actual blame.

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I really liked Cole as a Cowboy, but I understand why they let him walk. And we probably have a better 3 now without him. I don't do social media so I only read what he said posted on here. Not the biggest fan of any player using those platforms to talk about their team. But I still think he was special, not someone who could be replace with an UDFA like some believed.

I always thought he was a perfect match for Brady. With his quickness and Tom's accuracy, I think he could have went from very good to elite. Just my 2 cents.

Merry Christmas!
Agree completely.

Merry Christmas.

conner01

Reaction score
I understand that.

Read that he checked out of 12 plays during the WFT game and the offense gained a grand total of 23 yards
The check out is based on the defense
If they want him not to check out then call one play instead of two

UncleRico

Reaction score
That’s because the offense has been awful for over a month.
I really don’t think they have been awful. I think our biggest problem has been red zone efficiency. I also think the last month the game plan, especially the way defenses are playing us, has been to take what defense gives you/ball control/conservative and let our defense do it’s job. 3 road games, 2 of which outdoor in cold weather. I think it has been a concerted effort the way we have been playing. We were bad in the Commanders game though.

if it weren’t for Dak’s interceptions in Commanders game I think we have a different outlook. He just played so poorly and uncharacteristically that game that it has clouded our view of him the last few games.

Legend

Reaction score
The Cowboys need to feed Cooper the ball 10-12+ times a game (especially if he is single covered and even doubled… if he gets open)

khiladi

Reaction score
Outside of the Dak stance, I share your thoughts on this team to a T. You don't post just to post, you always back up you views with very good opinions. or facts. I don't disagree with you on Dak, honestly even after all these years I'm not sure where I stand. At 6-1, I thought I was off the fence. But these last 7 games have me perched back on top. That's a big enough sample to be very concerned.

I just hope they can figure it out before the games really count. (if even possible)

I wish I could give you a hug.:grin: Merry Christmas my friend.

Appreciate the comments.

Hsppy Holidays to your.