Amari Cooper was overrated here. Look at the numbers

jay94

Reaction score
I largely agreed with your take. Dak won't target him seemingly, so why pay for a #1. I mean he's not a check down RB or TE?

I will say this twitter post made me question my stance..

Maybe we're paying him to make Dak better across the board?

Check down to the 105th receiving rb out of 105, worst contract in the past 10 years for the Cowboys.

Brax

Reaction score
Did you read the OP? He did help us in 2018. But he was being asked to be a superstar WR. That is something he never was nor will be. He’s a very good WR. He’s not a star.
Disagree he is the only legitimate WR after he’s cut should be interesting to watch and yes I read it and it’s a lot off base. IMHO

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I don’t necessarily agree with the narrative that Dak is incapable of satiating a bigtime receiver, but even if we go down that path… it’s still a flawed conclusion.
I thought that’s what I was saying. In other words great receivers show up even when the QB isn’t great. Thinking Cooper was a top 20 star receiver is neither Coop’s fault nor Dak’s. The guys in the owners box think if a player has a star on their helmet and THEY drafted or traded for that player, he MUST be great.

The Jones boys are the fly in the Cowboys ointment, not Cooper or Dak or Zeke, or D-Law.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree he is the only legitimate WR after he’s cut should be interesting to watch and yes I read it and it’s a lot off base. IMHO
No problem. I appreciate your opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what he’s signed for with another team. And what we end up paying Gallup.

And then measure the difference in production versus salary.

Who thinks we’ll prob overpay Gallup and Shultz too. And they prob don’t meet those expectations. Lol

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
A lot of Prima Dona WRs in this league, but Coop is definitely not one of them.
He diva.
He's just a quiet one so peeps think he's humble, or whatever.

He totes diva.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I feel like he lacks that mental toughness that makes really good players, elite.

Given the salary CAP and whatnot, it just doesn't make sense to keep paying him like a superstar. The production just isn't there.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
No, and you need to start paying attention to who the real non achievers are.
Coop is just fed up with never having a real QB for his entire career is all.
The guy that threw for 37 TDs wasn’t good enough?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THIS IS NOT A HATE AMARI COOPER THREAD. I like Cooper. But I also think it was a smart move for the Cowboys, both for obvious cap reasons and the fact that he was overrated here.

Now that I have that out of the way, let us count the reasons why Cooper’s release could be a good thing:
  • Amari Cooper is a very good receiver. He’s an excellent route runner. BUT- he is not a great 3rd down receiver (when you need a 3rd down conversion)
    • In 2021, Cooper was 26th in the league in 3rd down receptions for a first down. For $20 mil a season, that’s not great. (Btw- Cedee Lamb was 16th)
  • He’s not as much of a big play guy as he used to be- In YAC yardage, Cooper was way below avg- GET THIS- Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard all had better YAC numbers than Coop in 2021.
    • Cooper has never been that great in YAC numbers in his career. He’s really more of a possession receiver which makes both his price tag and his lack of big 3rd down plays a problem.
    • His last two seasons, he’s only averaging about 12 yards per reception. Again, more of a possession receiver than a big play receiver.
  • He has tended to disappear in the bigger games when your big play receiver is MOST needed. Not all big games. He did have some big games. But not enough to make him a star. Here are some examples:
    • In both playoff losses Cooper played in, (2018, 2021) he averaged less than 70 yards per game.
    • In 2019’s most critical game that decided the NFC East vs Filly, Cooper had 4 receptions for 24 yds and famously stood on the sidelines in the last drive.
    • Another critical game in 2019, vs NE on the road, Coop got shut out with zero catches. (Randall Cobb and Gallup had 86 and 55 yds that day)
    • In that terrible loss against Arizona last year that cost us the #2 seed, Coop had 3 catches for 18 yds, despite 8 targets and two drops.
I’m not here to bash Amari Cooper. He’s a very good receiver. But Cowboys fans, let’s be honest. Is he a top 20 receiver in this league? NO. Not in receptions, YAC, 3rd down conversions…etc, etc. We cannot pay a WR $20 mil a season with that kind of return.

Will we miss Cooper? Maybe some. But the cap savings could provide more help at other positions without losing much on offense.

In my book letting him go is the right move.
200.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m not a Dak basher, I’m just providing thought to ponder. Everyone deserves some critical thinking.

We all know why we traded for Cooper.

The cowboys traded for Cooper because the same front office that is about to cut him…. Tried selling us on the “WR by committee” BS and trotted out garbage receivers. They had to then trade for Cooper to save face.

Brooksey

Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A HATE AMARI COOPER THREAD. I like Cooper. But I also think it was a smart move for the Cowboys, both for obvious cap reasons and the fact that he was overrated here.

Now that I have that out of the way, let us count the reasons why Cooper’s release could be a good thing:
  • Amari Cooper is a very good receiver. He’s an excellent route runner. BUT- he is not a great 3rd down receiver (when you need a 3rd down conversion)
    • In 2021, Cooper was 26th in the league in 3rd down receptions for a first down. For $20 mil a season, that’s not great. (Btw- Cedee Lamb was 16th)
  • He’s not as much of a big play guy as he used to be- In YAC yardage, Cooper was way below avg- GET THIS- Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Tony Pollard all had better YAC numbers than Coop in 2021.
    • Cooper has never been that great in YAC numbers in his career. He’s really more of a possession receiver which makes both his price tag and his lack of big 3rd down plays a problem.
    • His last two seasons, he’s only averaging about 12 yards per reception. Again, more of a possession receiver than a big play receiver.
  • He has tended to disappear in the bigger games when your big play receiver is MOST needed. Not all big games. He did have some big games. But not enough to make him a star. Here are some examples:
    • In both playoff losses Cooper played in, (2018, 2021) he averaged less than 70 yards per game.
    • In 2019’s most critical game that decided the NFC East vs Filly, Cooper had 4 receptions for 24 yds and famously stood on the sidelines in the last drive.
    • Another critical game in 2019, vs NE on the road, Coop got shut out with zero catches. (Randall Cobb and Gallup had 86 and 55 yds that day)
    • In that terrible loss against Arizona last year that cost us the #2 seed, Coop had 3 catches for 18 yds, despite 8 targets and two drops.
I’m not here to bash Amari Cooper. He’s a very good receiver. But Cowboys fans, let’s be honest. Is he a top 20 receiver in this league? NO. Not in receptions, YAC, 3rd down conversions…etc, etc. We cannot pay a WR $20 mil a season with that kind of return.

Will we miss Cooper? Maybe some. But the cap savings could provide more help at other positions without losing much on offense.

How much is on Dak Prescott? I don't see that curve in the post
With a top QB, Cooper might have numbers closer to 110 catches and 10-15 TD's.
What would Josh Allen, Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow or Rodgers do with him?

We'll probably find out

ondaedg

Reaction score

We'll probably find out

This is ridiculous. Derek Carr and Dak both suck so he needs a Mahomes or Rodgers? And did you see some of the throws that Burrows threw this season? He literally threw them at defensive players and Ja’marr and Tee would go up and take them away.

Prescott is among the most accurate throwers in nfl history, has an insanely high QB rating, and a td:int ratio in the top ten of all time. Our qb isn’t the problem.

Perhaps it had something to do with Amari getting no separation this year. Dak doesn’t throw it to guys who are covered. Never has.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

We'll probably find out
Why does he necessitate those QBs to accomplish it though?

Mike Evans did it with Jameis Winston. Deandre Hopkins did it with Bryan Hoyer. Odell Beckham did it with Eli Manning. Deebo Samuel did it with Jimmy Garoppolo. Adam Thielen did it with Case Keenum. Justin Jefferson did it with Kirk Cousins.

Why is Amari getting paid as one of the greatest receivers who ever lived if he requires a superstar QB in order to not disappoint his team?

DandyDon52

Reaction score

your going by stats bob lol so your on shaky ground with this one.

Targets...... also include passes behind, too high, too low
Similar on drops, was it a good pass or one behind ,low, or high?

All I know is rather than focus on one guy often like amari, kellen wants to spread it around, I think cowboys set a record for just that this season.
I also remember when dallas used dez as a decoy before he went downhill, and that was stupid, and I think kellen was doing that with amari.

I also know at critical times it was mostly amari who made the catches that got a 1st down and kept drives alive.

A lot of this is on kellen and his game plans , play designs, and play calling.

I guess many of you forget how dak was struggling, offense too, they got amari and it took off !
That was because they focused on getting amari the ball.
After drafting lamb jerry wanted to see him get catches, and that led to all this.

Next season we will see how this affects the offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Why does he necessitate those QBs to accomplish it though?

Mike Evans did it with Jameis Winston. Deandre Hopkins did it with Bryan Hoyer. Odell Beckham did it with Eli Manning. Deebo Samuel did it with Jimmy Garoppolo. Adam Thielen did it with Case Keenum. Justin Jefferson did it with Kirk Cousins.

Why is Amari getting paid as one of the greatest receivers who ever lived if he requires a superstar QB in order to not disappoint his team?
those other qb's will try to force it in a tight window, dak wont. Its that simple.
Watch the curt warner vids on dak and kellen, and you will see they are doing things all wrong.