Amazing stat from yesterday in a Tweet

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
According to a tweet by NFL Network producer Bobby Belt about yesterday’s loss to the Jets:

NFL teams are 90-1 since 1991 when they win time of possession, total yards, turnovers, pick up 25 first downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd down attempts.

Dallas' loss to the Jets on Sunday is the one loss.”

Ouch. The Cowboys somehow find a way to lose.

This is actually a reach. All of that doesnt need to be put together just to make the cowboys look bad. They are a walking testimonial.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn’t the way Jerry runs this franchise unique? The only other owner who thinks he should also be the GM is the Bungles Mike Brown. So yeah, this team situation is unique.
I mentioned that the owner being the GM was the one thing that was unique, but as I also mentioned, it's not unique in NFL history. Remember the context of this was people talking as if the Cowboys were routinely doing things that haven't ever been done in the NFL. Al Davis, for example, was the GM and owner - was even the coach at one time, although that might have been prior to his ownership. At one time George Halas was the owner, coach and a player for the Bears, then gave up playing and ran everything as the owner while still coaching.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: sums up this team, at this moment....something is rotten in Denmark.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Maybe it’s the scheme issue? If we notice it, players certainly notice the lack of all the things that made Kellen’s offense look good early on. Maybe they feel stifled by whatever influence is changing the offense since it’s just more of the same.

I don't think that's it. I mean, it could be but then, why didn't it happen years before? I don't know what it is but the picture of the players ignoring Garrett, while coming off the field, was out of character and the flat way in which they have shown up for every game over these last three or four is odd. IDK, maybe I'm just looking for something where there is really nothing at all but it's weird.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There's so much chaos, it's hard to see it any other way at this point. Our D is a complete clusterfudge, and the O simply can't do anything w/ any consistency.

And the kicking game that used to be money is a total crapshoot this could have changed the outcome of 2 of these games

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go to DallasCowboysUniverse.com
Click Dallas Cowboys Forum

Click Jason Garrett embarrassing list of records and stats

A specifically unique compilation of “never been done before losses except by Garrett Cowboys team list”

Not commonplace
Not happening to any other team’s coach

No drama or soap opera even

Cold hard evidence

Give it a read
There is a lot of "one of only (#) Cowboy teams to have", or "first time for a Cowboy team", or "first time since (year)", or "one of only (#) teams" to ever". First time ever in the NFL is a different story. And then some are prefaced by "I think …" and in a few cases stated as fact when it was really just a guess.

Then there is the occasional "first time for a team playing a night game at home with the temperature below 38 degrees with a crescent moon and partly cloudy sky the week after a win on the road in the rain".

If you get specific enough you can find team records and even an occasional NFL record held by teams in almost any era

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a supporter of keeping Garrett. He would have been replaced a few years back if I had my way. But the Cowboys are not reinventing NFL standards for failure. Hell, the Browns haven't been to the playoffs in 17 years, haven't won a playoff game in 22 years, and this year will be the 13th consecutive losing season for them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mentioned that the owner being the GM was the one thing that was unique, but as I also mentioned, it's not unique in NFL history. Remember the context of this was people talking as if the Cowboys were routinely doing things that haven't ever been done in the NFL. Al Davis, for example, was the GM and owner - was even the coach at one time, although that might have been prior to his ownership. At one time George Halas was the owner, coach and a player for the Bears, then gave up playing and ran everything as the owner while still coaching.
Yes, those are two other examples in NFL history. But those owners and or managing general partner were both Head Coaches as well with direct NFL experience in their fields before moving up to front office duties.

Perhaps Jerry should try his hand in coaching on the sidelines?

Regardless these two examples don’t really compare IMO to the same scope and they both eventually gave up their HC responsibilities to concentrate more on their front office and owners duties.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There is a lot of "one of only (#) Cowboy teams to have", or "first time for a Cowboy team", or "first time since (year)", or "one of only (#) teams" to ever". First time ever in the NFL is a different story. And then some are prefaced by "I think …" and in a few cases stated as fact when it was really just a guess.

Then there is the occasional "first time for a team playing a night game at home with the temperature below 38 degrees with a crescent moon and partly cloudy sky the week after a win on the road in the rain".

If you get specific enough you can find team records and even an occasional NFL record held by teams in almost any era

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a supporter of keeping Garrett. He would have been replaced a few years back if I had my way. But the Cowboys are not reinventing NFL standards for failure. Hell, the Browns haven't been to the playoffs in 17 years, haven't won a playoff game in 22 years, and this year will be the 13th consecutive losing season for them.
Yep

That’s the amazing thing with Jerry’s “ socks to jocks” Mgmt style. He’s been able to assemble solid 8-8 type teams on the most part . Other franchises like the Browns you’ve used as a fine example should be ashamed they haven’t been able to muster anything more without the restraints and handicaps Jerry’s style presents.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, those are two other examples in NFL history. But those owners and or managing general partner were both Head Coaches as well with direct NFL experience in their fields before moving up to front office duties.

Perhaps Jerry should try his hand in coaching on the sidelines?

Regardless these two examples don’t really compare IMO to the same scope and they both eventually gave up their HC responsibilities to concentrate more on their front office and owners duties.

True on both Halas and Davis both having coaching experience, but most GMs and owners don't have coaching experience, so that's not really a job requirement anyway. But granted, if they were going to dominate everything about the team the way Jerry does, their experience gave them a better chance to be successful with it.

As for not comparing because they both gave up their head coaching duties, since Jerry isn't the head coach I think that actually makes them more similar. For both, when they gave up their head coaching duties they were then still owners, like Jerry, and executives who dominated and controlled every aspect of the team, like Jerry.

To Halas' credit, he hired Ditka in 1982 and let him run the show for the most part, but it took about 50 years that included a lot of futility to get to that.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score

Yes I admit to not having done a comprehensive 31 team Google check and done a search using specific filter of futility firsts for each individual team and...as compared to the rest of the NFL.

I am also aware of the history of the Brown and Davis family chain of command as it pertains to football operations at the Bungles/Raiders and the similarities they may share with the Jones family infrastructure.

These specific facts presented are extreme longshot circumstantial loss stats privy to the Garrett regime at the specific Cowboy team history and the entire NFL levels.

Other teams may or may not have their own versions of this. Whatever the case, the point was not the uniqueness of the Jones family infrastructure. The point was Garrett has accomplished more rare against all odds losses than most all coaches. If not THE most. Like I said I haven't done a full historical comparison to all NFL coaches. But that's still beside the point. These strange and rare stats indicate a pattern of losing against all odds. And that's the problem.
Second only to ownership that is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True on both Halas and Davis both having coaching experience, but most GMs and owners don't have coaching experience, so that's not really a job requirement anyway. But granted, if they were going to dominate everything about the team the way Jerry does, their experience gave them a better chance to be successful with it.

As for not comparing because they both gave up their head coaching duties, since Jerry isn't the head coach I think that actually makes them more similar. For both, when they gave up their head coaching duties they were then still owners, like Jerry, and executives who dominated and controlled every aspect of the team, like Jerry.
I totally agree with first paragraph!

IMO there is a sharp difference after they gave up their HC position for front office is they weren’t looking for the same type of credit Jerry is by preventing not as credible HC coming in and not meddling or undermining as much at the coaching level.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree with first paragraph!

IMO there is a sharp difference after they gave up their HC position for front office is they weren’t looking for the same type of credit Jerry is preventing not as credible HC coming in not meddling as much at the coaching level.

I don't know if it was credit those guys were looking for, or if it was ego (they have that in common with Jerry), but they wouldn't let go no matter how futile things got. It took a lot of years - decades - of futility before Halas finally hired Ditka and let him run the on the field efforts as he saw fit, and after some early success as owner, Al Davis went through 9 straight years without a winning record before he finally gave up being GM, and then it was only because he died

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't know if it was credit those guys were looking for, or if it was ego (they have that in common with Jerry), but they wouldn't let go no matter how futile things got. It took a lot of years - decades - of futility before Halas finally hired Ditka and let him run the on the field efforts as he saw fit, and after some early success as owner, Al Davis went through 9 straight years without a winning record before he finally gave up being GM, and then it was only because he died
But the point is they did finally give it up.

And I’d argue Al didn’t prevent nor intimidated by big name coaches taking more of the credit for winning.

I don’t recall an issue with Madden or Flores.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But the point is they did finally give it up.

And I’d argue Al didn’t prevent nor intimidated by big name coaches taking more of the credit for winning.

I don’t recall an issue with Madden or Flores.
Davis gave it up because he died, and Halas gave it up at the age of 89. Madden & Flores were part of what I mentioned as the early success Al Davis had as owner/GM, but he still hung on through the end of his life even though he hadn't had a winning season in 9 straight years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Davis gave it up because he died, and Halas gave it up at the age of 89. Madden & Flores were part of what I mentioned as the early success Al Davis had as owner/GM, but he still hung on through the end of his life even though he hadn't had a winning season in 9 straight years.
You actually believe that with Madden and Flores that it was a similar situation with those HC and staff as it is now with Jerry and his puppet style HC and staffs?

CoachD

Reaction score
According to a tweet by NFL Network producer Bobby Belt about yesterday’s loss to the Jets:

NFL teams are 90-1 since 1991 when they win time of possession, total yards, turnovers, pick up 25 first downs, and convert at least 10 or more 3rd down attempts.

Dallas' loss to the Jets on Sunday is the one loss.”

Ouch. The Cowboys somehow find a way to lose.

WOW now that's creepy! You would think that would have belonged to the Browns but nope it's the Cowboys!!!

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
We also had like 250 more yards of offense than the Packers and lost that by double digits. Bad teams find ways to lose.