America’s team versus cowboys nation

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s a true statement for me and some others. Winning a Super Bowl is very important. But we learn how to live with not winning it. I think that’s the maturity

No offense but learning to live with the realities of life and what you should want and deserve out of the franchise are not the same.

This franchise has clearly failed to live up to its end of the bargain in regard to winning and acting in ways that show class.

The fans (at least the ones old enough to have seen what it truly meant to be Americas Team) have been the constant. They have upheld the standards of excellence, loyalty & commitment. It's high time they were rewarded.

erod

Reaction score
America’s team. It has always meant something. The Class of the NFL. Cowboys nation. The fans.

We always give Philadelphia fans a hard time for throwing cans on the field. I guess not winning a championship for years will do that that to you Cowboy nation. Many of the fans say the team is a joke around the league. It’s not the team that’s the joke , it’s some of us that are . I can’t understand why some are even still fans of this franchise. They Don’t like the quarterback, the running back, the coaching staff, The ownership, And according to some of the forums many other things. But again not winning a championship for 25 years will do that to you. So ask yourself again why are you still a fan of this franchise. For me is the culture the star what it represents. Has it lost a little of it’s class, no I don’t think so. I guess as you get older like myself being a fan of this franchise since the 60s. Just beating Philadelphia, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, that’s my Super Bowl every season. Go cowboys have a great season
The Cowboys have lost ALL of their class. Every last stitch of it.

The whole reason the Cowboys became America's Team was because so many people across the country identified with the understated and "class" of Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Rayfield Wright, Don Perkins, etc. These were dignified men who also played a fresh version of the game that people appreciated. That, and the vision of Tex Schramm (who wasn't particularly classy), who had the foresight to "volunteer" to take on the heavy travel of playing in the NFC East and play the Thanksgiving game every year.

Then P.T. Barnum showed up, and it's been a clown-show ever since. Jimmy Johnson managed to keep things in line for a while, but as soon as he left, it's been like a travelling freak show. Pomp and circumstance far outweigh actual football on the importance scale, and Jerry takes the "his way or the highway" route or bust. It's been bust, bust, bust, but he doesn't care as long as the yachts and helicopters and obnoxious football factory venues that he builds to honor himself keep coming.

I'm still a huge Cowboys fan because....I've always been a Cowboys fan. Can't change teams now, though I sometimes wish I could.

But I'm not proud to say it anymore because this is an embarrassing franchise with a largely embarrassing fan base that is the most clueless in all of professional sports worldwide.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Regardless of how our seasons go (or have gone in the past), the Dallas Cowboys always top the TV ratings, are always the most talked about team, are always one of the most nationally televised teams, sell the most merchandise, are the most popular AND most hated team, and are the most valuable franchise in ALL of sports. So, yes, we’re still America’s Team, as much as that chaps some of your *****.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
America’s team. It has always meant something. The Class of the NFL. Cowboys nation. The fans.

We always give Philadelphia fans a hard time for throwing cans on the field. I guess not winning a championship for years will do that that to you Cowboy nation. Many of the fans say the team is a joke around the league. It’s not the team that’s the joke , it’s some of us that are . I can’t understand why some are even still fans of this franchise. They Don’t like the quarterback, the running back, the coaching staff, The ownership, And according to some of the forums many other things. But again not winning a championship for 25 years will do that to you. So ask yourself again why are you still a fan of this franchise. For me is the culture the star what it represents. Has it lost a little of it’s class, no I don’t think so. I guess as you get older like myself being a fan of this franchise since the 60s. Just beating Philadelphia, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, that’s my Super Bowl every season. Go cowboys have a great season

My only issue is the way the Jones Boys continue to mange the football-side of the team despite a quarter century of failing to reach the goal. Twenty-five years and not even a CCG appearance? It's time to look in the mirror and question whether you and your son are the best people to be making personnel decisions. You've been through a half dozen head coaching changes, dozens of players and assistants, and none of it has worked. Show a little humility, hire a personnel man, and get out of the way. If it works you still made the right move and will get "credit" - since it seems your egos demand it - but I guess playing fantasy football with a real team is just too much fun.

My issue isn't with players, and I agree that I'm not sure how you root for a team when you hate the players. I don't begrudge any of them for wanting and getting paid - those decisions are made by the Jones Boys. I can get frustrated when players screw up, like any fan, but the outright contempt some "fans" show boggles my mind. Some go so far as to attack them personally, as if they know them. I've yet to feel that way. If I ever do then I'll look for ones I like and go support them.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm no talking about this board. I'm talking about those that get consumed by the team and let a loss or bad season ruin their day, week, month, year etc....

I haven't been that way in at least 15 years. There was a time when a loss would bug the crap out of me. I would get mad while watching games too. Not any more.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Which is sad that it has nothing to do with success and is a sign of the times within this nation.
In its early days some fans used it as bragging rights because we were having success but that wasn’t the birth of the label in its infancy.

Remember why Landry wanted to shun the label which was at the height of his success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In its early days some fans used it as bragging rights because we were having success but that wasn’t the birth of the label in its infancy.

Remember why Landry wanted to shun the label which was at the height of his success.

True but it was Tex who jumped on the opportunity to use it to promote the Dallas Cowboys. Tex was a master showman before Jerry. Frankly I think the key person on that team that had more to do with NFL Films coming up with the title America's team was Staubach. Yes Cowboys were popular but with Rodger a Navy Officer and Vietnam Vet, clean cut all American the moniker was perfect. Had someone else been the QB of the Cowboys I highly doubt NFL Film would have come up with the name.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

As a fan, winning is the only thing that matters. That's what we wish for every year. Like you, I've learned with age to take the downs in stride. No team wins the SB every year so we're always going to have to deal with the bad years. With maturity, that comes more easily.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With that label come high expectations which is why so many football commentators and analysts had said Dallas is not America's Team.
That’s because we kicked there teams ***

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The whole reason the Cowboys became America's Team was because so many people across the country identified with the understated and "class" of Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, Rayfield Wright, Don Perkins, etc. These were dignified men who also played a fresh version of the game that people appreciated. That, and the vision of Tex Schramm (who wasn't particularly classy), who had the foresight to "volunteer" to take on the heavy travel of playing in the NFC East and play the Thanksgiving game every year.

Then P.T. Barnum showed up, and it's been a clown-show ever since. Jimmy Johnson managed to keep things in line for a while, but as soon as he left, it's been like a travelling freak show. Pomp and circumstance far outweigh actual football on the importance scale, and Jerry takes the "his way or the highway" route or bust. It's been bust, bust, bust, but he doesn't care as long as the yachts and helicopters and obnoxious football factory venues that he builds to honor himself keep coming.

I'm still a huge Cowboys fan because....I've always been a Cowboys fan. Can't change teams now, though I sometimes wish I could.

But I'm not proud to say it anymore because this is an embarrassing franchise with a largely embarrassing fan base that is the most clueless in all of professional sports worldwide.
Kind of true my cowboy brother

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't been that way in at least 15 years. There was a time when a loss would bug the crap out of me. I would get mad while watching games too. Not any more.
It still makes or breaks my week. I’m too invested

bigE79

Reaction score
I knew what you meant. That’s one is greater things in life like family, friends. The team is now an afterthought in that consideration. I actually broke a 26 inch seers TV Consol. When Smith dropped the ball in the Endzone against Pittsburgh. Let’s see one of these miserable fans do that with the TV today
I broke my mom's new table,I was so and still am pissed about that game...I'm from Pittsburgh and that game scarred me for life... still have dreams about it...and btw my mom beat my ***,lol

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Only 4300 posts in 9 years as a member..... yep, I don't have a life outside of this board.

Yeah but 4200 of those posts are nearly identical. Surprised you didn't bring Dak and his contract into this thread too, lol. No malice intended, just posting my observations.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I knew what you meant. That’s one is greater things in life like family, friends. The team is now an afterthought in that consideration. I actually broke a 26 inch seers TV Consol. When Smith dropped the ball in the Endzone against Pittsburgh. Let’s see one of these miserable fans do that with the TV today

The thing about that game is everyone gets on Smith but lets Randy White skate. We settled for a FG to close to 21-17. Pittsburgh scores to make it 28-17 and then on the kickoff, Randy White does "something" with the return and fumbles the ball away. Pittsburgh scores again to put the game out of reach. Before that gaffe, we needed to score twice to take the lead. We wound up doing exactly that after the mistake but it wasn't enough. Smith cost us 4 more points. White gave Pittsburgh another 7 and we lost by 4.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the largest fan base in the NFL hence we are still America's team.
Beyond that all sauce with very little substance the last 26 years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True but it was Tex who jumped on the opportunity to use it to promote the Dallas Cowboys. Tex was a master showman before Jerry. Frankly I think the key person on that team that had more to do with NFL Films coming up with the title America's team was Staubach. Yes Cowboys were popular but with Rodger a Navy Officer and Vietnam Vet, clean cut all American the moniker was perfect. Had someone else been the QB of the Cowboys I highly doubt NFL Film would have come up with the name.
But Roger didn’t promote. His Captain America label and his persona and popularity drove it perhaps much like our popularity and success did but not him personally.

And yes, Tex was a Pimp of our brand much like Jethro is.

But all of this placed a target on our backs attracting Haters much like Landry envisioned.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Totally agree . Except they aren’t all clueless. Many of them already walked away or became disgruntled, frustrated and apathetic fans. We recognize what our franchise has become and are more of a fan from a distance detaching emotions.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
But Roger didn’t promote. His Captain America label and his persona and popularity drove it perhaps much like our popularity and success did but not him personally.

And yes, Tex was a Pimp of our brand much like Jethro is.

But all of this placed a target on our backs attracting Haters much like Landry envisioned.

I did not say Roger promoted it, but I do think the people at NFL Films came up with the notion of America Team in large part because of Roger. Had someone else been QB I don't think they would have used that label of America's Team.

I know Landry did not care for it but Tex used it to promote this team which is what Tex was best at and brought the attention Tex sought from this team and still does to this day.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I did not say Roger promoted it, but I do think the people at NFL Films came up with the notion of America Team in large part because of Roger. Had someone else been QB I don't think they would have used that label of America's Team.

I know Landry did not care for it but Tex used it to promote this team which is what Tex was best at and brought the attention Tex sought from this team and still does to this day.
That’s pure speculation on the origin of the label which wasn’t mentioned by its creator.

Roger no doubt was part of our brand being a lure by viewers and fans.