Americans have become more tolerant with each generation, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The study found that the tolerance level of the average American has been climbing steadily since the early 1970s. The biggest generational shift in tolerance occurred between baby boomers (born 1946-1964) and their “Silent Generation” parents (1925-1945), but subsequent generations — Generation X (1964-1981) and millennials (born after 1982) — have continued the upward trend in acceptance of opinions and lifestyles different from their own.

“The main driver of variability in total tolerance,” the researchers note, is the year in which they survey was taken — a finding that suggests, they add, that the increase in tolerance over the past 40 years has been “a broad cultural trend.”

Older people of all generations tend to be less tolerant than younger ones, the study also found. In other words, 18-year-olds tend to be more accepting of views they disagree with than 60-year-olds. But that difference has significantly narrowed with each succeeding generation.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opi...ome-more-tolerant-each-generation-study-finds

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The study found that the tolerance level of the average American has been climbing steadily since the early 1970s. The biggest generational shift in tolerance occurred between baby boomers (born 1946-1964) and their “Silent Generation” parents (1925-1945), but subsequent generations — Generation X (1964-1981) and millennials (born after 1982) — have continued the upward trend in acceptance of opinions and lifestyles different from their own.

“The main driver of variability in total tolerance,” the researchers note, is the year in which they survey was taken — a finding that suggests, they add, that the increase in tolerance over the past 40 years has been “a broad cultural trend.”

Older people of all generations tend to be less tolerant than younger ones, the study also found. In other words, 18-year-olds tend to be more accepting of views they disagree with than 60-year-olds. But that difference has significantly narrowed with each succeeding generation.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opi...ome-more-tolerant-each-generation-study-finds
Good stuff, Fuzzy. I'd really like to believe this.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I think American's becoming more tolerant with each other is a great thing.

Certainly, no one will argue its worse now than it was in the '60's (for example, but pick your era, going 2 centuries before then, and 2 decades, or more, past then).

@FuzzyLumpkins

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

On a side note, religious affiliation has been decreasing precipitously over the same time period in America

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say more than ever but intolerance is a major issue in this country

I think he was referring to how we are less tolerant of racists. Which is somehow viewed in a negative light

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don't worry, we've got a ton of people on this board who are trying to buck the trend.

+100

And as much as I'd like to be objective, listen to them and surmise "well, everyone has their own opinion and point of view," I always end up at....nope, these folks are just backward thinking, irrational mouthbreathers.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I call BS. Tolerances may have changed, but intolerance is still extreme, maybe more extreme than ever.
I would agree it is. Many would say PC is to blame and I would agree. PC first started to promote civility in conversations to the point it devolved into where if you said something "offensive" you were shouted down and called a name. It got to the point where the few with opinions contrary to the "mainstream" were left to stew and that in itself caused a festering wound in the fabric of society. I am of the belief that I would rather people be honest about their feelings and their thoughts, speak their mind so I can then make an informed decision to stay the hell away from them if need be. I want to know who hates me for my race not so I can hate them back so I know who is in my corner. I think "hate" dies out in the open of a free society

Status
Not open for further replies.