Americans have become more tolerant with each generation, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree it is. Many would say PC is to blame and I would agree. PC first started to promote civility in conversations to the point it devolved into where if you said something "offensive" you were shouted down and called a name. It got to the point where the few with opinions contrary to the "mainstream" were left to stew and that in itself caused a festering wound in the fabric of society. I am of the belief that I would rather people be honest about their feelings and their thoughts, speak their mind so I can then make an informed decision to stay the hell away from them if need be. I want to know who hates me for my race not so I can hate them back so I know who is in my corner. I think "hate" dies out in the open of a free society

Yes, people are tired of political correctness.

There was a long transition period from the civil rights movement, to affirmative action, free housing, welfare that transitioned to a period of extreme political correctness especially in regards to race and gay issues, then the acquittal of OJ and the Opra era, millionare black athletes and entertainers and finally culminating in the election of a black President.

Now in the post Obama era, people have had it with too much political correctness and too many claims of racism.

Police make mistakes but the percentages are very low and if you don't resist or do something stupid, your chances of death by the police are extremely low. A black person is more likely to be hit by lightening than be unjustly killed by police.

A black person is about 1000 times more likely to be murdered by another black person than to be unjustly killed by the police.

It does not help that other races rarely seem to complain. The High Tech foreign nationals that come here and their descendants appear to be laughing on their way to the bank from their high paying jobs as we deal with more claims of racism by Kaepernickians.

The most frustrsting part is that it seems the vast majority of black people will NOT openly acknowledge that the black on black murder rate is out of control. Everyone seems to just deny it. I don't understand the purpose of the denials by whitecollar black men who are not the primary contributors to the murder problem.

The people committing the murders and the people being murdered are not going to speak out about it. The government can't solve it. White people speaking out can't solve it. That just leaves educated or wealthy/famous black people to speak out "protest" this extreme problem, but instead are spending their time and energy on the police issue which is 1/1000th of the problem.

Please, someone help me understand.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I'm certainly not tolerant of your "it's not that I hate minorities, it just that they do x, y, and z" brand of prejudice
Brother, when a man accuses you of being intolerant, you don't prove him wrong be being intolerant. How can we find common ground by being so flippant?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Turns out, being pissed off about something going on somewhere was just a big waste of time.

shabazz

Reaction score
Great article

I think most youngsters start out as liberals, believing in this PC, Utopian Shangrala where feelings are the most important thing reinforced by tenured hippy professors.

However, most outgrow this defect once they start paying taxes and raising children and become mature adults

But of course............some don't

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Brother, when a man accuses you of being intolerant, you don't prove him wrong be being intolerant. How can we find common ground by being so flippant?

B.S. You don't address racism by accepting it as a valid point of view. You attack racism for what it is - a disease born of ignorance and privilege. Good Lord man, should we be tolerant of ***** too? Yes - I know some of you think some ***** are very fine people.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
B.S. You don't address racism by accepting it as a valid point of view. You attack racism for what it is - a disease born of ignorance and privilege. Good Lord man, should we be tolerant of ***** too? Yes - I know some of you think some ***** are very fine people.
Spoken like a Klingon warrior ready to take on the world. You won't win that way but go ahead and try. No one said anything about accepting racism.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yes, people are tired of political correctness.

It does not help that other races rarely seem to complain. The High Tech foreign nationals that come here and their descendants appear to be laughing on their way to the bank from their high paying jobs as we deal with more claims of racism by Kaepernickians.

The most frustrsting part is that it seems the vast majority of black people will NOT openly acknowledge that the black on black murder rate is out of control. Everyone seems to just deny it. I don't understand the purpose of the denials by whitecollar black men who are not the primary contributors to the murder problem.

The people committing the murders and the people being murdered are not going to speak out about it. The government can't solve it. White people speaking out can't solve it. That just leaves educated or wealthy/famous black people to speak out "protest" this extreme problem, but instead are spending their time and energy on the police issue which is 1/1000th of the problem.

Please, someone help me understand.

Hope you don't mind I snipped a few things out from my observations as an asian born to a Green card carrying mother and US Soldier.

To the first point bolded, most of the foreign nationals/immigrants/1st generation American Citizens for the most part we as a culture are held to a higher standard which is way the culture of the "home country" is, my mother who raised me was the daughter of a farmer in South Korea where the rural society looks at woman as 2nd class citizens, most girls when my mom grew up did not get formal educations only the boys did. So when she came over after marrying my father and having me and seeing what was in front of her in the way of opportunities she realized the only thing she could do was out work her American counterparts and pick up the knowledge needed. It carried over to her children, we were held to an extremely high standard, Asian F jokes aside, I was literally chewed out if I did not bring home A's. Now fast forward to the present, I have worked with a lot of African Nationals and it is telling the friction between them and their American counterparts. The African Nationals have zero respect for most of the African Americans in this country. They have very poor opinions of them, most won't hire one to clean the bathrooms of their businesses. I have heard many disparaging comments about them from the African Nationals. Now to the flip side I have worked with many African Americans and their opinion of the African Nationals is just as bad, insults along the lines that are thrown at well off African Americans.

To your 2nd point most I talk to do agree the black on black is out of control, many feel the govt is to blame, the govt is what causes the animosity and division in the black in the community.

Your third point, there are many wealthy black people speaking out, but the more conservative are called sell outs, Uncle Toms, House N words, un-black, etc. The only ones that are listened to are the ones with street cred. They also enjoy eating their own, look at the PR beating Michael Jordan took when he donated large sums of money and time but he is called out for not being "vocal" about the African Amrerican Plight.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope you don't mind I snipped a few things out from my observations as an asian born to a Green card carrying mother and US Soldier.

To the first point bolded, most of the foreign nationals/immigrants/1st generation American Citizens for the most part we as a culture are held to a higher standard which is way the culture of the "home country" is, my mother who raised me was the daughter of a farmer in South Korea where the rural society looks at woman as 2nd class citizens, most girls when my mom grew up did not get formal educations only the boys did. So when she came over after marrying my father and having me and seeing what was in front of her in the way of opportunities she realized the only thing she could do was out work her American counterparts and pick up the knowledge needed. It carried over to her children, we were held to an extremely high standard, Asian F jokes aside, I was literally chewed out if I did not bring home A's. Now fast forward to the present, I have worked with a lot of African Nationals and it is telling the friction between them and their American counterparts. The African Nationals have zero respect for most of the African Americans in this country. They have very poor opinions of them, most won't hire one to clean the bathrooms of their businesses. I have heard many disparaging comments about them from the African Nationals. Now to the flip side I have worked with many African Americans and their opinion of the African Nationals is just as bad, insults along the lines that are thrown at well off African Americans.

To your 2nd point most I talk to do agree the black on black is out of control, many feel the govt is to blame, the govt is what causes the animosity and division in the black in the community.

Your third point, there are many wealthy black people speaking out, but the more conservative are called sell outs, Uncle Toms, House N words, un-black, etc. The only ones that are listened to are the ones with street cred. They also enjoy eating their own, look at the PR beating Michael Jordan took when he donated large sums of money and time but he is called out for not being "vocal" about the African Amrerican Plight.

Great post.

The distinction about the Africian Nationals is interesting. I've said the current problems are not about skin color per se because non-American black people don't buy into the same rhetoric as people immersed in American Black Culture.

I have to assume that afirmative action and welfare caused the issues because pre sixties black communities were known for hard work and strong religious ties.

It really disturbes me to see little kids in the bad hood areas and know that they're likely to either be murdered or become a murderer. That combined with the focus on the police and the incredibly small probibility that those kids will be killed by police is also disturbing.

It is as if principle is more important than practical issues to most people.

The police issue is not really about concern for those people in the ghetto. Rich guys like Kaepernick are really protesting what has happened to them and that they themselves still get profiled by police.

The profiling will never stop until the crime rates go down. Profiling is one of the best and most efficient methods of law enforcement. If a cop has sees way more crime by blacks then he's going to start mentally profiling even if he didn't intend to do it. Protesting will never eliminate it. Cops lives are at risk and they're going to do everything possible to protect themselves.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You are on the side of the White race.

That's different. Sad you don't see that. The worst!
Your thinking that, tips your racist hand, gambler. Race has never mattered to me and it saddens me it matters to you.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Your thinking that, tips your racist hand, gambler. Race has never mattered to me and it saddens me it matters to you.

Yeah. Race never matters. It matters to everyone except those who deny it. Ignant

Noryb

Reaction score
Great post.

The distinction about the Africian Nationals is interesting. I've said the current problems are not about skin color per se because non-American black people don't buy into the same rhetoric as people immersed in American Black Culture.

I have to assume that afirmative action and welfare caused the issues because pre sixties black communities were known for hard work and strong religious ties.

It really disturbes me to see little kids in the bad hood areas and know that they're likely to either be murdered or become a murderer. That combined with the focus on the police and the incredibly small probibility that those kids will be killed by police is also disturbing.

It is as if principle is more important than practical issues to most people.

The police issue is not really about concern for those people in the ghetto. Rich guys like Kaepernick are really protesting what has happened to them and that they themselves still get profiled by police.

The profiling will never stop until the crime rates go down. Profiling is one of the best and most efficient methods of law enforcement. If a cop has sees way more crime by blacks then he's going to start mentally profiling even if he didn't intend to do it. Protesting will never eliminate it. Cops lives are at risk and they're going to do everything possible to protect themselves.

I would bet going house to house and conducting a search of every house would be an effective law enforcement technique but like racial profiling I believe it's illegal.

Now let me qualify myself. I'm an educated black man raised by two educated black parents (born in 40 and 41). My only sibling has a PHD and is married to a black man who has the same. My wife, RIP, was also educated as are most of my friends, who are mostly black. One of my good friends happens to be a Nigerian native who I worked with for many years and there is no animosity between us. My twenty-two year old son, who just graduated college is best friends with a young man who's parents are Kenyan natives. In my forty plus years of life, I've never heard one group say something disparaging about the other but maybe they're just more open with Asians they work with.

As far as black on black crime goes I haven't met one African american who doesn't acknowledge the problem or even worse, deny it. It makes me wonder if any of you actually even KNOW a black person besides casual work conversations. My best friend, who is also educated and married to an educated black woman, is a Pastor and runs a mentor-ship program for underprivileged youth in impoverished areas in Atlanta. There are many churches in Urban areas with similar programs. He wants me to get a program started here in the Dallas area but as a single parent raising a little girl without a mother, I just haven't been able to find the time. I assure you that African Americans, like everyone else, are concerned with what happens in their communities. In the last 20 years, there has been a sharp drop in homicide among blacks. The homicide rate for blacks in the 90s was very high, it's going to take more than one generation to correct that problem. Over the last few years there have been many protests against violence in major cites such as Chicago, Gary and New York.

Lastly, as a white collar African american who knows many other African Americans, I don't know any, educated or not, who doesn't support the players right to peacefully demonstrate. In fact, two of them aren't watching the games because Kap hasn't been signed, I'm sure jrumann59 knew that since he's all buddy buddy with a few. We all a have good lives, better than the average white person, and we sure as hell aren't looking to be victimized as some have claimed. Talk to anyone one of us, which again you obviously don't, you'll know that our beliefs are based on experiences and not any agenda pushed by MSM or whoever the big bad boogie man is.

I will now let you and jrumann59 get back to telling everyone how I have little respect for African natives and how they have poor opinions of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.