Americans have become more tolerant with each generation, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It's always seemed pretty obvious to me listening to my parents and teachers describe how it was when they were young and through my own life experience. Glad to see as a species we are getting better about it.

Man I dunno just poll CZ and I think it would be opposite

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I call BS. Tolerances may have changed, but intolerance is still extreme, maybe more extreme than ever.

I think younger people are becoming more tolerant just for the fact that they are more emerged with what was considered intolerable in the past. (like racism) In the south, intolerance is far more rampant because people are what their environment is. A man's environment is a mold that shapes who they are. A man isn't born a racist. He is taught to be a racist by his environment. (parents, friends, neighbors, etc)

When a man is told he is at a disadvantage and everyone points at someone else for blame. That man gets angry (develops hate) and blames other people for their plight. A good parent doesn't teach a kid out to blame others for their disadvantage. That's the sign of a lazy person. A good parent teaches their children how to work hard, perseverance and drive to do better.

A good parent, won't have hateful children because they will have taught them better than that.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
It's interesting to see what will happen with Generation Z (born mid 90's-mid 00's). They are surprisingly much more conservative as a whole than the Millennials. Growing up through the Recession at a young age.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I hope this is true ....... I see evidence at my home almost every afternoon.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
More tolerant or less spine? No matter what people do or promote these days, there will always be people that get "offended". What this country stands for now is NOT the same values that this country was built on.

ifixoldhouses

Reaction score
The study found that the tolerance level of the average American has been climbing steadily since the early 1970s. The biggest generational shift in tolerance occurred between baby boomers (born 1946-1964) and their “Silent Generation” parents (1925-1945), but subsequent generations — Generation X (1964-1981) and millennials (born after 1982) — have continued the upward trend in acceptance of opinions and lifestyles different from their own.

“The main driver of variability in total tolerance,” the researchers note, is the year in which they survey was taken — a finding that suggests, they add, that the increase in tolerance over the past 40 years has been “a broad cultural trend.”

Older people of all generations tend to be less tolerant than younger ones, the study also found. In other words, 18-year-olds tend to be more accepting of views they disagree with than 60-year-olds. But that difference has significantly narrowed with each succeeding generation.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opi...ome-more-tolerant-each-generation-study-finds
It's Hollywood, they slip more and more things in so the young will think it's normal behavior.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's Hollywood, they slip more and more things in so the young will think it's normal behavior.

It's more like the civil rights act and various scotus decisions have made it so that minorities and other historically oppressed groups are not segregated or forced into hiding. It's hard to demonize people when you get to know them and their humanity.

TWOK11

Reaction score
The human condition hasn't changed, we're the same tribal creatures we've always been. Just as many Americans think racist/sexist/intolerant thoughts now as ever did, it's simply become less and less socially acceptable to express thoughts thoughts and certainly less acceptable to put them into legislative practice. Perhaps this has begotten a degree of increased tolerance, but it's largely superficial.

If polite society collapsed tomorrow, we'd eat each other. The bottom line is we are programmed to be suspicious and fearful of those not like us, it's evolutionarily embedded in our DNA.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The human condition hasn't changed, we're the same tribal creatures we've always been. Just as many Americans think racist/sexist/intolerant thoughts now as ever did, it's simply become less and less socially acceptable to express thoughts thoughts and certainly less acceptable to put them into legislative practice. Perhaps this has begotten a degree of increased tolerance, but it's largely superficial.

If polite society collapsed tomorrow, we'd eat each other.

You do realize that psychological polling considers social pressure into account in the way that administer them right? They are anonymous for a reason.

TWOK11

Reaction score
You do realize that psychological polling considers social pressure into account in the way that administer them right? They are anonymous for a reason.

First, psychology and sociology are both pseudo-sciences rife with bias and flawed methodology. Both are political structures designed to advance social agendas disguised as science.

Second, no poll is truly annonymous. This survey has been conducted annually online since 2004, and before that via telephone. Those conducting the survey could easily issue the identity of someone expressing unpopular views, and young people especially are aware of this. That happens to be the overwhelming majority of those in this study.

Finally, the last 50 years can't change millions of years of evolution. Human nature hasn't changed because Martin Luther King gave some feel good speeches.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

If polite society collapsed tomorrow, we'd eat each other. The bottom line is we are programmed to be suspicious and fearful of those not like us, it's evolutionarily embedded in our DNA.
I think this is true for the most part. I'm suspicious of people I don't know regardless of race and fearful of no man unless they have a weapon and I don't. I think you have more of that tribal mindset towards other races when you don't interact with them tbh.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score

Well that is a pretty dystopian view

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
First, psychology and sociology are both pseudo-sciences rife with bias and flawed methodology. Both are political structures designed to advance social agendas disguised as science.

Second, no poll is truly annonymous. This survey has been conducted annually online since 2004, and before that via telephone. Those conducting the survey could easily issue the identity of someone expressing unpopular views, and young people especially are aware of this. That happens to be the overwhelming majority of those in this study.

Finally, the last 50 years can't change millions of years of evolution. Human nature hasn't changed because Martin Luther King gave some feel good speeches.

First, I agree that both are soft sciences due to a wholistic approach. That is neither here nor there because they are not trying to predict human behavior.

And speak for yourself please show and evidence that people taking the poll are concerned about this. Talking of pseudoscience. Fact is that none of the private information has never been leaked much less published. You are wishing in place of having any proof.

And who said anything about changing human nature. Prior to 60 years ago we were segregated if not completely suppressing different groups. Slavery only ended with the Ottman's dissolution 100 years ago.

I realize that you think it is only natural for people to not be tolerant based on skin color and sexual orientation but that is not the case as the past 50 years have demonstrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.