An Interesting Draft Scenario By Colin Cowherd

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Draftniks remember fondly a few years ago when Minnesota did not get their pick to the podium on time. 2 or 3 teams rushed ot get their pick up there. The Draft got very exciting.

Colin Cowherd is speculating that could happen again this year with the very first pick in the Draft. Miami owns the pick but wants to trade down. The problem is, nobody wants to trade up.

Miami is said to have 4 players on their radar with the #1 pick and they don't favor any one player over the others. The players are...

Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

What Miami wants to do is save itself about 12 million dollars in guaranteed money. So they very well may pass on the #1 pick and wait until 3 of those 4 guys are gone before taking the last guy on the list. The question is, how many picks go ahead of them before they get to that point?

Will they do this? I don't know, but I have to admit I'd love to see it. Colin contacted the NFL Offices and they confirm this is legal under their Guidelines.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, but why would anyone make the pick if they don't want it?

The entire draft could be on hold as every single team passes with the #1 pick still not made. :p:

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
The agent for whoever they draft will hold out for number one money.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
That would be a pretty sneaky move by BP.

I'd love to see it. Don't really know what would happen but it would be interesting to say the least.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know if someone wanted to do that just to save some money.

I am sure a team or two would be willing to swap first round picks and a 7th round this year or a 7th round next year.

See the way I see it the trade value chart is moot at this point if they are willing to just skip their turn for a few spots so why not get a 7th rounder out of the deal.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2034855 said:
You know if someone wanted to do that just to save some money.

I am sure a team or two would be willing to swap first round picks and a 7th round this year or a 7th round next year.

See the way I see it the trade value chart is moot at this point if they are willing to just skip their turn for a few spots so why not get a 7th rounder out of the deal.

Wouldn't trade have to be approved by the league?

Also, who wants to be the team that goes penny pinching and trades back for way less then equal value? At least this way the team waiting while others go can say that they were in control and avoid looking like complete idiots.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2034843 said:
Draftniks remember fondly a few years ago when Minnesota did not get their pick to the podium on time. 2 or 3 teams rushed ot get their pick up there. The Draft got very exciting.

Colin Cowherd is speculating that could happen again this year with the very first pick in the Draft. Miami owns the pick but wants to trade down. The problem is, nobody wants to trade up.

Miami is said to have 4 players on their radar with the #1 pick and they don't favor any one player over the others. The players are...

Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

What Miami wants to do is save itself about 12 million dollars in guaranteed money. So they very well may pass on the #1 pick and wait until 3 of those 4 guys are gone before taking the last guy on the list. The question is, how many picks go ahead of them before they get to that point?

Will they do this? I don't know, but I have to admit I'd love to see it. Colin contacted the NFL Offices and they confirm this is legal under their Guidelines.

Simply "Wow".

Would love to see that happen. :)

What great TV that would make!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd really love to see that happen.

Put the Tuna on TV and watch him say "We don't care who we get. At this point it's all about saving money. We will turn our card in when we are ready."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2034868 said:
Simply "Wow".

Would love to see that happen. :)

What great TV that would make!
How cool would it be to see 5 to 6 picks in the first 12 minutes of the Draft?

I tell you, I'd have an accident.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
If that happens, then the system officially needs fixing.

Bad teams should covet the first pick. I guess something needs to be done about the rookie salaries.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
We actually talked about this happening last week. I'd imagine that BP would probably try to work something out with these guys before hand, under that scenario. Just makes sense to me. I don't know.

DFWJC

Reaction score
In a year like this one--where there is no clear #1 pick--this actually makes sense. This is why they can't trade the pick....everyone else feels the way thay do.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So what your saying is everyone is going to pass and Dallas will get McFadden?!

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2034851 said:
The agent for whoever they draft will hold out for number one money.

they could hold out, yes. however, it would not be smart. no team is going to pay the #4 pick #1 $$, no matter the circumstances.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Trying to use my imagination here.

Miami passes. 10 minutes off the clock.

St. Louis takes Jake Long. 10 and a half minutes off the clock.

Atlanta takes Matt Ryan. 11 minutes off the clock.

Oakland takes Howie's son, Chris Long. 11 and a half minutes off the clock.

Kansas City takes Vernon Gholston. 12 minutes off the clock. Berman's head explodes.

Miami takes Glenn Dorsey. 12 minutes 15 seconds off the clock.

6 picks and one exploded head.

Please let this happen.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
There's nothing that says any of them have to agree to a contract before the draft. If I were an agent for a top guy, I probably wouldn't. Call their bluff and make them pick you... Then they're under more pressure to sign you to the contract you want.

St. Louis takes Jake Long.

But again... Why would St. Louis or any other team want the #1 pick and the money it will cost any more than Parcells?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;2034910 said:
Trying to use my imagination here.

St. Louis takes Jake Long. 10 and a half minutes off the clock.

Atlanta takes Matt Ryan. 11 minutes off the clock.

Oakland takes Howie's son, Chris Long. 11 and a half minutes off the clock.

Kansas City takes Vernon Gholston. 12 minutes off the clock. Berman's head explodes.

Miami takes Glenn Dorsey. 12 minutes 15 seconds off the clock.

6 picks and one exploded head.

Please let this happen.

So if this happens do all the kids who get invited to New York lose all their face time? lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thats funny you posted this Hos, I was just thinking about this very scenario
about a week ago, and wondering if BP would deploy such a tactic.
Highly likely IMO since there really is no clear cut number 1.
No franchise QB worth the investment, but about 4 others, Dorsey, Gholston,
C. Long, and J. Long, that BP seems to be leaning to.
Actually the trade down option, might increase the further he drops down.
He might have more teams interested if he were sitting at number 3 vs number 1.
Im not even sure what the league rules are in allowing a franchise to pass on multiple draft slots.
Have to check that one.