An Interesting Draft Scenario By Colin Cowherd

Star-Fan

Old enough to remember the Ice Bowl, Young enough
Reaction score
Hostile;2034975 said:
Minnesota didn't get skipped completely. They still took a player. They just moved from 7th in the Draft to 9th. It would be the same thing here.

Hos, or anyone else. Did Minn. end up paying their pick as a 7th or 9th? :confused:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Star-Fan;2035005 said:
Hos, or anyone else. Did Minn. end up paying their pick as a 7th or 9th? :confused:
9th. The player's agent tried to get him 7th pick money...no soap.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2034950 said:
I'll bet you almost every owner in the league is hoping this happens. This is the tip of the spear that would drive the league to adopt a more reasonable Rookie Salary scale. This is what is needed and has been needed for years. It's rediculous to spend enourmous amounts of money on rookies who have never played a game in there lives. This would help a great deal IMO. Pay the players who have earned the money. This incents players to work as opposed to sit back and collect money once they get a big contract.

I actually hope this happens.

A agree with this 100%. It's common knowledge that nothing can be done about the rookie contracts until a new CBA can be reached with the NFLPA. I also think it's one of the big reasons that the owners want to opt out of the current deal.

The worst kept secret in the whole scenario is that the owners feel the players are getting too much of the television revenue pie. The whole problem is compounded when they are basically forced to sign these young kids who have never even sniffed a pro football field to more money than the majority of league stars are making.

The veterans, you would think, should be all over this rookie contracts restructuring thing. Many of these rookie contracts are the catalyst that ships these veterans out the door and looking for work on June 1st. The money just isn't there in many cases.

At this point the only thing that these owners can do (until the end of the season) is to stage their own coup at the NFL draft, spotlighting the absurdity of the current rookie contract structure. Staging a protest without saying a word. Do I think it would happen? Not a chance. But it would make for some very interesting sports commentary for a good month or so.

The owners do have to take a little blame in this whole scenario, though. It's not like they are working under a system that they didn't already agree to.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2034856 said:
They can't win if they do.

sure they can. the agent will argue all over the place that miami had the 1st round pick and got who they wanted. that's the agents job. what this really does is set yourself up for a major negotiating headache. if bp is really that much of a genious, why put yourself through that?

like someone else said - just swap with someone in the 4-5 range and collect a later round pick and do it "right". but would atlanta or oakland really *want* to move into that same $$$ neighborhood?

till a rookie cap is in place no one wants a top 4-5 pick anymore. too costly.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;2035009 said:

any of these players managed by the postons? just seems like a stupid thing to do knowing it's going to cause an argument later.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2034961 said:
I think a more likely scenario would be:

Miami passes after 10 minutes

St. Louis says no to paying #1 overall money when #2 money is in the budget so they sit tight for 10 minutes also.

Atlanta sits their pick out also because Ryan isn't worth #1 money...

Oakland doesn't have the cap space to pay #1 money so they sit...

Kansas City doesn't prefer player #1 over player #5 so they sit...

Then there's five or six teams standing around the podium with their cards waiting to see who blinks first.

The first hour of the draft is spent with no one making any picks.

Then the top 6 picks holdout of camp because they want paid in the slot where the team was supposed to draft rather than when they turned in the card or where they were drafted if it's higher...

makes you wonder how far down it would go. then as soon as one team blinks it's like a mad-dash race to the podium with your card so you don't lose your own player.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I think a team would be better off just negotiating with the top 4 guys and see who is the most reasonable. If I was Gholston who was slated to be taken 4th or 5th, I would certainly give them a discount if they wanted to make me the first pick in the draft.

The endorsement deal alone ( for being #1)would make up for the shortfall!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
iceberg;2035024 said:
sure they can. the agent will argue all over the place that miami had the 1st round pick and got who they wanted. that's the agents job. what this really does is set yourself up for a major negotiating headache. if bp is really that much of a genious, why put yourself through that?

like someone else said - just swap with someone in the 4-5 range and collect a later round pick and do it "right". but would atlanta or oakland really *want* to move into that same $$$ neighborhood?

till a rookie cap is in place no one wants a top 4-5 pick anymore. too costly.

Well, somebody is going to jump up and take it. I mean, if your a team who needs a Franchise QB or a Franchise LT, your going to move up and take it because they are cornerstone positions. When you have an opportunity to get them, you have to take them. If anything, I'd imagine that there would be a run on safe positions. Teams who needed LTs would take them IMO. Teams who needed a certain player to get them over the top would take them. Imagine the Cowboys having an opportunity to move up and grab a player like Gholston to match with Ware. I don't see any way that we wouldn't move up to pick a player like that. JMO

JPM

Reaction score
HoosierCowboy;2035032 said:
if you pass, what determines where you get back in:confused:
You can hand in your card anytime. It can be two picks or the pick right after.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
What he simply should do is this, sit all 4 players (make sure Players know this) and agents in a room and simply say, WHOEVER wants to sign for the least amount of money is gonna be the #1 overall pick!
Now I don't know how much differnece money wise it is form the #1 overall to the #2 or #4 overall, but I'm sure if a guy liek Gholston feels he might fall to #4 or worse overall, why not tkae #2 money AND have the honor and prestige of being the #1 overall pick on top of it?
Adrian Peterson was drafted #7 overall, how much money did he get at #7?
I'm sure if the team with the #1 overall pick said we'll draft you #1 overall and pay you #3 overall money, looking back Peterson would do it in a HEARTBEAT!

Angus

Reaction score
CATCH17;2034898 said:
So what your saying is everyone is going to pass and Dallas will get McFadden?!

Not necessary.

Miami needs to blow off Jimmy Johnson's draft chart and get the best deal it can. For example, without regard to points, it could accept a Dallas offer of a number one this year and another next year, plus a player, for Miami's number one this year. Jerry Jones gets his ball carrier without paying more and Parcells gets picks he can use to trade back up to a player he wants if he wishes.

No need to "pass."

:star:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2035036 said:
Well, somebody is going to jump up and take it. I mean, if your a team who needs a Franchise QB or a Franchise LT, your going to move up and take it because they are cornerstone positions. When you have an opportunity to get them, you have to take them.
Miami needs both of those...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
This was discussed a while back. The problem is they can't do it because the agents say that when Miami makes their selection that player will take the position that he should be paid as the #1 pick. It's not going to happen.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Angus;2035091 said:
Not necessary.

Miami needs to blow off Jimmy Johnson's draft chart and get the best deal it can. For example, without regard to points, it could accept a Dallas offer of a number one this year and another next year, plus a player, for Miami's number one this year. Jerry Jones gets his ball carrier without paying more and Parcells gets picks he can use to trade back up to a player he wants if he wishes.

No need to "pass."

:star:
Besides the money needed for the number one pick, I hope the Boys never again trade two number 1's (not to mention a player) for anyone again, ever.

It just reeks of desperation.

jmo

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2035108 said:
This was discussed a while back. The problem is they can't do it because the agents say that when Miami makes their selection that player will take the position that he should be paid as the #1 pick. It's not going to happen.
Nope.

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Could the Dolphins' No. 1 pick be no one?

By Harvey Fialkov | South Florida Sun-Sentinel April 13, 2008 Article tools

Just imagine, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell walking to the podium on April 26 at about 3:10 p.m., and he says, "With the first pick of the draft the Dolphins ..." Tick. Tick. Tick. ... Silence.

"The Dolphins pass and the Rams are now on the clock," Goodell continues.

OK, it's highly unlikely that the Dolphins will pass on the overall first draft pick, but what if?

In fact, it's never been done before, intentionally that is. The Vikings inadvertently dropped from No. 7 to No. 9 in the 2003 draft when a trade discussion with the Ravens caused their time to elapse.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirmed that it is a legal maneuver, and that any team can pass on their pick without any penalty. He also said that team could then jump in front of any team that has a later pick.

Why would the Dolphins ever contemplate such an outlandish maneuver? Simple. They're a 1-15 team with more holes to fill than a Manhattan street.

"We need linebackers, we need secondary players, we need receivers, we need linemen. We need a bunch of things right now," coach Tony Sparano said recently.

Also, the Dolphins have the top pick of a draft with no clear-cut difference-maker who would be worth a potential $60 million contract, including a signing bonus around $35 million. The consensus top six players of the draft who have been invited to the proceedings at Radio City Music Hall in New York are: Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, Michigan tackle Jake Long, Virginia defensive end Chris Long, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, Arkansas running back Darren McFadden and Ohio State linebacker Vernon Gholston.

All have upsides and downsides.

"I wouldn't think it would be an intelligent move, no," said former Packers General Manager Ron Wolf, a friend of Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells. "I don't know why anybody would do that.

"It puts a negative spin on your organization. You're trying to be positive. Miami has the first pick. They've got a whole new regime there. ... The object is to get a good player so that you can compete and be representative in a very short period or someone else will be sitting in your chair."

If the Dolphins purposely slid to No. 4, they could save approximately $12 million in guaranteed cash, based on what the Raiders gave quarterback JaMarcus Russell at No. 1 last year vs. what the fourth pick — defensive end Gaines Adams — received.

"Goodell would shove his foot up the butts of [GM] Jeff Ireland and Bill Parcells [if that happened]," said an agent who wished to remain anonymous. "It's absolutely atrocious. It makes a mockery of the draft process and of the collective-bargaining agreement. ... I think it's beyond realistic, and I'd advise against any team doing it. If it was my client they took at No. 5, I would want first overall pick money or my kid's not reporting to training camp."

The team with the top pick is permitted to sign a player before the draft, and the Dolphins have already begun negotiations with the agents of Jake Long and Gholston. So they do appear to be honing in on their selection.

If the Dolphins did shock the NFL establishment by taking a pass, the league could mandate that teams forfeit the pick if they didn't use it.

"It would be detrimental to the league and force them to change the rule," said retired NFL executive Tom Braatz. "The first pick has always been so valuable that everybody tries to trade up. This is the first year nobody wants it."

Such a move could push the NFL and NFLPA to amend a rookie scale that creates instant millionaires out of untested players while teams cut established veterans so they could get under the salary cap.

Parcells has had the top pick twice before. In 1993, he was coaching the Patriots and selected quarterback Drew Bledsoe, who guided New England to a Super Bowl berth four years later. In 1997 with the Jets, Parcells traded down twice from No. 1 to 6 to 8 and took linebacker James Farrior, who didn't blossom until he was with the Steelers. The Rams ended up with future Hall of Fame tackle Orlando Pace at No. 1.

"There's no value in doing that," said agent Leigh Steinberg, who has represented eight No. 1 picks. "The Chargers in 2004 made a tremendous trade, getting rid of a player they didn't want in [No. 1] Eli Manning for [No. 4] Philip Rivers, and he got a bundle for it. There still could be somebody who covets Bill's place ..."

Because of the signing bonus, finding a suitable trade partner for the pick or passing on it would be as realistic as watching defensive end Jason Taylor dance on television in a pink tutu.

Oops.

"It's not going to happen," agent David Cantor said. "The Dolphins owe it to their fans to have a decisive, rock-solid 100 percent consensus on a player to become the face of this franchise, and that's what they're going to do."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CaptainAmerica;2035108 said:

Star-Fan;2035005 said:

Hostile;2035009 said:
Interesting........