An Interesting Draft Scenario By Colin Cowherd

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Typhus;2034916 said:
Thats funny you posted this Hos, I was just thinking about this very scenario
about a week ago, and wondering if BP would deploy such a tactic.
Highly likely IMO since there really is no clear cut number 1.
No franchise QB worth the investment, but about 4 others, Dorsey, Gholston,
C. Long, and J. Long, that BP seems to be leaning to.
Actually the trade down option, might increase the further he drops down.
He might have more teams interested if he were sitting at number 3 vs number 1.
Im not even sure what the league rules are in allowing a franchise to pass on multiple draft slots.
Have to check that one.
Per Colin Cowherd a team can do it and then just like Minnesota did a few years ago the other teams can pick ahead of Miami.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2034913 said:
There's nothing that says any of them have to agree to a contract before the draft. If I were an agent for a top guy, I probably wouldn't. Call their bluff and make them pick you... Then they're under more pressure to sign you to the contract you want.

But again... Why would St. Louis or any other team want the #1 pick and the money it will cost any more than Parcells?

Only if they have a guy they could separate from the pack enough. We don't know if that's so w/ SL, but it could be.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hostile;2034920 said:
Per Colin Cowherd a team can do it and then just like Minnesota did a few years ago the other teams can pick ahead of Miami.

Yes sir, thats understood. Just curious if there is a limit as to how many times a team can pass. I wouldnt think so.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
If Hos's scenario happened, Roger Goodell would be on the draft stage looking like a substitute teacher running around trying to get his students under control with spitballs flying and complete mayhem under way.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2034913 said:
There's nothing that says any of them have to agree to a contract before the draft. If I were an agent for a top guy, I probably wouldn't. Call their bluff and make them pick you... Then they're under more pressure to sign you to the contract you want.

But again... Why would St. Louis or any other team want the #1 pick and the money it will cost any more than Parcells?

I see what you are saying but STL is picking 2nd. They are going to be paying pretty close to what #1 could cost. Taking the player they want might be worth it to them.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ya, I could already see Pac Man nailing him with one from 30 feet out.
Spitball that is. lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2034910 said:
Trying to use my imagination here.

Miami passes. 10 minutes off the clock.

St. Louis takes Jake Long. 10 and a half minutes off the clock.

Atlanta takes Matt Ryan. 11 minutes off the clock.

Oakland takes Howie's son, Chris Long. 11 and a half minutes off the clock.

Kansas City takes Vernon Gholston. 12 minutes off the clock. Berman's head explodes.

Miami takes Glenn Dorsey. 12 minutes 15 seconds off the clock.

6 picks and one exploded head.

Please let this happen.
That is great stuff.

Imagine the gasket Kiper will have blown if things went down like that.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Such a scenario would undermine the entire draft process. If it did it would be the last time, and you notice it hasn't happened since despite the owners griping about the high cost of signing these kids for years now. Sounds nice, but it won't happen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chief;2034931 said:
If Hos's scenario happened, Roger Goodell would be on the draft stage looking like a substitute teacher running around trying to get his students under control with spitballs flying and complete mayhem under way.
Paints a good picture doesn't it?

Combine that with Berman's head exploding and this would be my all time favorite Draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'll bet you almost every owner in the league is hoping this happens. This is the tip of the spear that would drive the league to adopt a more reasonable Rookie Salary scale. This is what is needed and has been needed for years. It's rediculous to spend enourmous amounts of money on rookies who have never played a game in there lives. This would help a great deal IMO. Pay the players who have earned the money. This incents players to work as opposed to sit back and collect money once they get a big contract.

I actually hope this happens.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2034941 said:
Such a scenario would undermine the entire draft process. If it did it would be the last time, and you notice it hasn't happened since despite the owners griping about the high cost of signing these kids for years now. Sounds nice, but it won't happen.

Yes, but never say never esp with the Big Tuna sitting on top of it all.
With the guaranteed money off the chart these days fot that pick, I am really surprised that it hasnt happened in recent drafts.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2034950 said:
I'll bet you almost every owner in the league is hoping this happens. This is the tip of the spear that would drive the league to adopt a more reasonable Rookie Salary scale. This is what is needed and has been needed for years. It's rediculous to spend enourmous amounts of money on rookies who have never played a game in there lives. This would help a great deal IMO. Pay the players who have earned the money. This incents players to work as opposed to sit back and collect money once they get a big contract.

I actually hope this happens.
This is a really great point.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hostile;2034910 said:
Trying to use my imagination here.

Miami passes. 10 minutes off the clock.

St. Louis takes Jake Long. 10 and a half minutes off the clock.

Atlanta takes Matt Ryan. 11 minutes off the clock.

Oakland takes Howie's son, Chris Long. 11 and a half minutes off the clock.

Kansas City takes Vernon Gholston. 12 minutes off the clock. Berman's head explodes.

Miami takes Glenn Dorsey. 12 minutes 15 seconds off the clock.

6 picks and one exploded head.

Please let this happen.

I think a more likely scenario would be:

Miami passes after 10 minutes

St. Louis says no to paying #1 overall money when #2 money is in the budget so they sit tight for 10 minutes also.

Atlanta sits their pick out also because Ryan isn't worth #1 money...

Oakland doesn't have the cap space to pay #1 money so they sit...

Kansas City doesn't prefer player #1 over player #5 so they sit...

Then there's five or six teams standing around the podium with their cards waiting to see who blinks first.

The first hour of the draft is spent with no one making any picks.

Then the top 6 picks holdout of camp because they want paid in the slot where the team was supposed to draft rather than when they turned in the card or where they were drafted if it's higher...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;2034961 said:
I think a more likely scenario would be:

Miami passes after 10 minutes

St. Louis says no to paying #1 overall money when #2 money is in the budget so they sit tight for 10 minutes also.

Atlanta sits their pick out also because Ryan isn't worth #1 money...

Oakland doesn't have the cap space to pay #1 money so they sit...

Kansas City doesn't prefer player #1 over player #5 so they sit...

Then there's five or six teams standing around the podium with their cards waiting to see who blinks first.

The first hour of the draft is spent with no one making any picks.

Then the top 6 picks holdout of camp because they want paid in the slot where the team was supposed to draft rather than when they turned in the card or where they were drafted if it's higher...
Man, what a buzz kill.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Nothing along the lines of rookie salaries will get fixed until the owners have it out with the PA. That will happen in a couple years. I read a piece on the Zone a while back where Jerry said nothing can happen along those lines till this current CBA runs out.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wait, I thought that if you missed your pick, you lost it? I'm taking that if BP doesn't pick in his 10 min time frame, he can just go whenever he wants? Doesn't make sense to me.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Future;2034972 said:
Wait, I thought that if you missed your pick, you lost it? I'm taking that if BP doesn't pick in his 10 min time frame, he can just go whenever he wants? Doesn't make sense to me.
Minnesota didn't get skipped completely. They still took a player. They just moved from 7th in the Draft to 9th. It would be the same thing here.