An interesting over view of the Dak contract dilemma

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
WE'll see. Truthfully, I have no doubt that Jerry will gum this up like he does everything else.
He'll grossly overpay to keep Dak in Dallas. People like you will be excited as heck, and tell people like me how "wrong" we were.

And then at the end of the day, in 10 years, all will be forgotten, the Cowboys will still have 5 Super Bowls, and we'll find something else to argue about.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Sounds just like you after Romo's 10 wasteful starting years. Remember, I told you so back then.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, it just makes me someone with a different opinion.

Do you want Jerry to relinquish his GM duties? Be honest.

We all know that isn't going to happen. Does that make you a whiner?
or just someone with a differing opinion?
I like both Jerry the owner and Jerry the GM. He's proven he's pretty good at both.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Sounds just like you after Romo's 10 wasteful starting years. Remember, I told you so back then.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Funny, because when it's expedient for you, you claim you were a huge Romo supporter.

Now you assume to be saying otherwise?

Come on bro, keep your fibs straight. Makes it much easier for us to have a coherent discussion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When things go bad the Dak detractors blame him, when things go good, it is because of the players around him.
They will never give Dak credit, ever.

ALL QB's as well as any player have bad games, some even 2 or 3 in a row. Has anyone thought Brady is fantastic this year, hell no, but he has a hell of a defense and coach. Both we have lacked for years and years.

I actually don't know what to do either, so will just not waste any brain cells over it. I have my own life to live and take care of.

However there are the usual that are obsessed with hating Dak. I think they need professional help, just as the one that is obsessed with hating Zeke.
Dak is a well above average QB, and I still think there is time for improvement. Just watch Russell Wilson, this is Dak's high side. Wilson needed a top notch defense and strong running game his 1st 3 or 4 years. Just think if our offense had Seattle's defense back in their prime.

Will he get paid, over what many think, under, average, not at all. Not my money, but don't destroy the long term goals of the team either. I lean slightly more to signing him, but not at over $30 million. However, I want to see him step it up the last 4 games, win. I also would like a new HC be involved with that decision on what to do.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That's a telling statement.

I rest my case, your honor.
3 winning seasons in a row with 2 division titles, 2 playoff trips, 2 divisional playoff trips and at least 1 playoff victory. Could easily have been 3 years in a row if it wasn't for crooked Goodell. Plus, should have reached at least 1 NFC Conference Championship game (2016) if it weren't for Goodell's crooked officials. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Not bad for GM Jerry considering what he's had to go up against.

Plus, he's yet again to have this team in a division title position with the potential to once again finish with a winning record for a straight 4th season and a 3rd trip to the playoffs in 4 years. You're losing your argument badly against Jerry the GM and Owner.

PS (Post Edit): For the record, I was a huge Romo supporter in the very beginning and especially during his later years when he finally took it seriously but sadly his body was no longer able to hold up. Had he not gone Hollywood early and wasted his prime years, you never would have heard a negative peep from me. The same goes for Dak today. Decisions have consequences, especially if it affects the Cowboys. I'm a Cowboys fan first.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another thing.

Dak wins a lot more games than he loses, and that is hard to find a QB to do that. As he handles the ball on every offensive snap (except kicking and any wild cat play). But it is hard to find a QB to do that over 4 years and be a winner. That is what Dak is. Bring in some rookie QB, you might get Trubisky you might get Mahommes. Chances are you will get more Trubiski's or in between than Mahomes.

khiladi

Reaction score
Brady has six SBs and the offensive line has been battered this year and half his team is reporting illnesses.

By play-off time with their LT coming back, they’ll be fine. How many years does one actually have to see the Patriots led by Bill to it?

If Dak did what Brady did, nobody would second guess another similar extension. Dak has done zilch to have Brady as a reference point.

It’s like Pederson. He has a window even after a couple of bad years, because the Eagles won a SB. But that window gets tighter.

817Gill

Reaction score
Why do so many fans make statements that they would be ok with Dak at $20m per year but not $30m? Does what we are paying him really matter when it comes to what he adds to the team?

Starting QBs in the NFL now get paid 30m per year. The ones who aren’t being paid this will be once they get new contracts.

so my thought is if Dak is a starting QB he gets paid his $30m. If he isnt worth this then he isn’t a starting QB and he needs to go.

Btw...I want him here. I believe he is an excellent QB and is worth more than Carson Wentz, Cousins, Garappolo, Goff ect.

you don’t just go shopping for a new QB. Who is available for cheaper? No one. If a QB is solid starter their team would pay them $30m and not let him go. Chasing a rookie and giving away your next several drafts has not proven to work either.
Love reading logical posts

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Another thing.

Dak wins a lot more games than he loses, and that is hard to find a QB to do that. As he handles the ball on every offensive snap (except kicking and any wild cat play). But it is hard to find a QB to do that over 4 years and be a winner. That is what Dak is. Bring in some rookie QB, you might get Trubisky you might get Mahommes. Chances are you will get more Trubiski's or in between than Mahomes.
Exactly. Spot on, JC.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Brady has six SBs and the offensive line has been battered this year and half his team is reporting illnesses.

By play-off time with their LT coming back, they’ll be fine. How many years does one actually have to see the Patriots led by Bill to it?

If Dak did what Brady did, nobody would second guess another similar extension. Dak has done zilch to have Brady as a reference point.

It’s like Pederson. He has a window even after a couple of bad years, because the Eagles won a SB. But that window gets tighter.
You bring up Pederson, yet he let go of his better QB to keep the worse one simply based on draft status? How is that working out for them Eagles?

Creeper

Reaction score
This isn't a good overview of the Dak Prescott contract situation, its some guy who is emotionally reacting to the Cowboys disappointing season. Has Dak been perfect in 2019? No. But we need to stop looking at the QB position as if he has to be perfect. EVERY QB in the league makes mistakes. Aaron Rodgers has had some awful games in 2019. Tom Brady too. Yes, their teams have won more games but its because their teams have played better than the Cowboys.

The entire Cowboys team has been a disappointment in 2019 while Dak has looked the best he has since he was drafted. Is the offensive line playing the way we expected them to? No. Is Zeke the playing we thought he would be? Are the LBs playing as well as we expected? No and no. Is the secondary improved over last year? No. Is Brett Maher as good as we wanted him to be? No. Have special teams been getting it done? No.

Dak leads the league in passing yards. He has had some phenomenal games this year. But the guy in the video makes the most important point of all. Is Dak better this year than he was last? Yes. I don't care about Goff and Wentz. Neither is having a good year and neither has shown as much ability as Dak. No, Dak is not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and he doesn't have the legs or Lamar Jackson. But come game time on Sundays, do we worry about whether Dak is going to screw up the game? No. Dak does his part or tries to. More often than not, we worry about the defense getting off the field and Brett Maher missing a 35 yard FG. I worry the offensive line will not create any running room for Zeke or protect Dak.

The fact is Dak is good enough to be the QB for the Cowboys. Of course that doesn't mean Jerry should hand him whatever he wants. But it means he should sign him. $35 million now will seem like a bargain in a two years. At some point the Cowboys have to commit to a QB and they have no real options other than Dak. What Dak has shown is that he wants to improve, he works at it, and he does improve. He may never be Aaron Rodgers, but that's okay.

What I don't get is that Jerry gave Romo a contract making him one of the highest paid, if not the highest paid, QBs in the league and Romo was nowhere near the top QB in the league. Romo's contract actually did hamper the Cowboys.

I get the concept of franchising Dak and making him prove he is good enough, but something tells me if they do that, they will either lose him or wind up paying him even more down the road. I have no idea what kind of money Dak wants but if its $35 million I'd go ahead and pay him. Otherwise who is the alternative if Dak isn't with the Cowboys?

khiladi

Reaction score
You bring up Pederson, yet he let go of his better QB to keep the worse one simply based on draft status? How is that working out for them Eagles?

What does that have to do with what I stated? Pederson is afforded a grace period because of the SB wins.

Foles isn’t even a better QB. Wentz was having an MVP year in 2017 as well. The Eagles also made philosophical changes going into the playoffs that year. And the Eagles couldn’t afford it and Foles was only going to play a year or two more, meaning it’s a completely different situation.

If anything, it probably shows the value of Reich to the Eagles.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What does that have to do with what I stated? Pederson is afforded a grace period because of the SB wins.

Foles isn’t even a better QB. Wentz was having an MVP year in 2017 as well. The Eagles also made philosophical changes going into the playoffs that year. And the Eagles couldn’t afford it and Foles was only going to play a year or two more, meaning it’s a completely different situation.

If anything, it probably shows the value of Reich to the Eagles.
:laugh::facepalm:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
3 winning seasons in a row with 2 division titles, 2 playoff trips, 2 divisional playoff trips and at least 1 playoff victory. Could easily have been 3 years in a row if it wasn't for crooked Goodell. Plus, should have reached at least 1 NFC Conference Championship game (2016) if it weren't for Goodell's crooked officials. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

Not bad for GM Jerry considering what he's had to go up against.

Plus, he's yet again to have this team in a division title position with the potential to once again finish with a winning record for a straight 4th season and a 3rd trip to the playoffs in 4 years. You're losing your argument badly against Jerry the GM and Owner.

PS (Post Edit): For the record, I was a huge Romo supporter in the very beginning and especially during his later years when he finally took it seriously but sadly his body was no longer able to hold up. Had he not gone Hollywood early and wasted his prime years, you never would have heard a negative peep from me. The same goes for Dak today. Decisions have consequences, especially if it affects the Cowboys. I'm a Cowboys fan first.

I never argued against Jerry the Owner. Never will.

if you were a "huge Romo supporter" then howcome 3 posts ago you bashed him and finished it off with how you "told us so" about him? Which story is it? You gotta straighten that out before you post. People remember Valley G. They remember all of your other names. And they remember your opinions. You can try to historically revise them but unless an awful lot of people develop amnesia, it doesn't wash. And you know what? That's fine. You despised Romo. That's your right to have that opinion. I'm just saying, don't act like you were some huge supporter of his now, so it makes you feel more justified ripping apart anyone who doesn't like Dak.

As for your comments about Jerry's management, Ladies and gentlemen, I give you America's Cowboy. One of 3 people on the planet not named "Jones" who thinks Jerry is doing a good job as the GM. :laugh:

Anyhow--I completely agree with the bold/underlined. We just see it differently with regards to whether Dak is the right guy.
You like him as our QB. I don't. We're both Cowboys fans first. I don't question that about you, regardless of how much I disagree with your takes.

Please extend me the same courtesy. Your schtick of calling everyone who doesn't like Dak as our QB a "troll" or "whiner" or other such stuff, got tiresome a long time ago.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
It is a tough call. Cause you gotta ask "will a team pay dak 35-40 mil in Free Agency". Who knows, i personally don't see it happening. You have to obviously be careful between hamstringing your team long term for only average to above average play. If your going to give a qb that kind of money you have to be sure he can take you to the next level. Also another factor is the salary cap will go up.

Now the one thing in dak's favor is i think you can see this year he's gotten better. I think you can really see he's in command out there, but he does have to play a little better vs better teams. I'll excuse the game vs the pats (which i don't think he played poorly in). And minnesota he was great. But games like last week aren't what we need out of a 40 million dollar qb.

Question is if you didn't give him big money, you could obviously franchise him for a year. If not maybe you can get a veteran like a Matt Ryan?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's going to get at least $35m...

Anyone who thinks he isn't worth that does not have an opinion that matters.

cern

Reaction score
brady proved he's a team guy by taking a lesser contract so the team could sign others. sadly, dak shows no such inclination. seems as long as he gets his, he could care less who has to be released. I expected more from him in this regard. very disappointing.