An Unpopular Decision

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be tough with Jones, after a hip surgery. I guess it depends on what you are trying to get but it could take him 4 weeks into the season to get back into rhythm and where he feels confident in that hip

Yes, that certainly makes it tougher, but I have been encouraged by reports that he's off crutches and participating in workouts. I believe Broaddus on Talkin' Cowboys mentioned it.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It's just my opinion, as I stated.

And I'm also of the opinion that Pollard was viewed by the vast majority as a reach pick, and therefore someone they likely could have drafted later. History shows that Isaiah Johnson clearly wasn't, as he was taken with the very next pick.

Also take note of the fact that the Cowboys ultimately traded that subsequent fourth round selection, I think that supports the theory that they "guessed wrong" and the player they thought and hoped would be available there, wasn't.

I'm not alone in that belief either:

"The Trade Downs

The Cowboys had just drafted RB/WR Tony Pollard with the No. 128 pick and handshakes, hugs, fist pumps and high-fives were on full display from the Cowboy War Room Cam.

After three picks in the first four rounds, there was still another selection to look forward to, which was pick number at slot No. 136. Then something happened. The Cowboys traded down with the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas received picks No. 149 and 213 in exchange.

As Stephen Jones confessed, there were some that got away.

We lost some guys that we were right on the cusp of getting. At the same time, we had a good board put together and felt good how we went about it. We traded back a few times, which I think usually happens when you lose a guy or two, not necessarily trying to make a quick pick. I felt good about doing that, and we ended up picking up a couple players.”

There are likely two players who likely fell into that category: Houston corner Isaiah Johnson and Charleston DE John Cominsky.

Johnson was not a pre-draft visitor but was a Kris Richard favorite and it would have been no surprise if he were chosen. Richard worked out Johnson pre-draft and there is scuttlebutt he gave Johnson a heads up that Dallas would indeed draft him. The Cowboys instead chose a specialty player in Pollard and Johnson promptly went with the very next pick.

Cominsky on the other hand was an “Official 30” visitor. He went to the Falcons at pick No. 135, right in front of the Cowboys’ noses one spot ahead of them.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...19-nfl-draft-pivotal-moves-trades-selections/

I’m not disagreeing with the fact they missed out on Johnson with their next pick (i.e. believing he’d be there). That was a gamble they were willing to risk which are the types of real-time decisions every team in the league has to make multiple times each draft.

You cannot say they made a mistake by drafting Pollard over Johnson though because both players were available to them and we know who they picked.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not disagreeing with the fact they missed out on Johnson with their next pick (i.e. believing he’d be there).

You cannot say they made a mistake by drafting Pollard over Johnson though because both players were available to them and we know who they picked.

I'm just saying that I view it as a mistake because I think if they had reversed their decision and taken Johnson, first, Pollard would have been there with their second fourth rounder a few picks later.

What's wrong with me having that opinion? It's widely shared.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would offer up Jaylon Smith for two first round picks next year. The linebacker market is weak. JAYLON is young and should have a monster year. I believe he will ask for a contract similar to Tank. Guess what, on the open market he would get it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would offer up Jaylon Smith for two first round picks next year.

TWO first rounders? Good luck with that.

We all want them to trade Taco, again, not unpopular. But he has 2 years left and if he has a breakout year, they have a 5th year option. But what if Hyder looks good, but is even with Taco, as he looks good. Trade Hyder who is on a one year deal over Taco? Or Armstrong?

I don't think there'd be much of a trade market for any of those guys.

My unpopular move: I'd look to trade Tyron Smith. Why: Back issues.

That would be unpopular because of what you'd get for him. It's not as if other teams won't know his injury history.

There appears to be a common theme: overvaluing the roster. Trading busts, or guys with injury histories for big returns, are more fantasies than unpopular moves.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm trading Zeke...and I'm doing it before training camp. I'm looking for at least a first and second in next year's draft and a first the following year. I roll with the running backs on the roster. I keep all of my o-line guys, including Collins. I actually like Dak a lot, but if I'm not getting a discount for paying him a year early, he can wait for his payday. If he balls out so much that his salary doubles...even better. Jerry is relegated to delivering his version of medical news and nothing more. Rowdy only works in the ViP lounge serving drinks to fat cats. Will McClay becomes the GM. I make it clear to Jason that we win it all or I'm looking elsewhere. I create a offensive/defensive coordinator consultant position. Their only job would be to look for predictability both within the organization and in other teams. They would have a big roll in developing game plans for upcoming weeks. And I would hire Romo for that job. I change the seafoam green pants to something that actually matches.

OH...and I would bring the Landry shift back for more than the victory formation.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My unpopular decision is to extend Jason Garrett.

iu

Footnote, I extend him into the front office and make Kris Richard the HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Shocked! I am intrigued by the idea of Aikman and Garrett running things. I do, however, like what Stephen and McClay have done the last few years.
Aikman has expressed interest in having an Elway role. And Garretts strongest asset appears to be in team building.

I’d be fine with retaining Will but Stephen has proved he’s nothing more than a Cheapskate who if responsible for RB by Committee and Tagging Dez which was mismanaged which cumulatively probably at least shortened Romo’s career breaking up the best Cowboys offense this Century and last years WR by Committee which almost ruined the season and potentially derailing Daks career.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I would offer up Jaylon Smith for two first round picks next year. The linebacker market is weak. JAYLON is young and should have a monster year. I believe he will ask for a contract similar to Tank. Guess what, on the open market he would get it.

Is there an echo in here? :muttley:

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
I’d immediately rid all Jones’ from football operations, fire Garrett, make McClay GM and let him hire a head coach, let the new coach bring in the coordinators he wants, resign Byron Jones, Cooper, and others, let Zeke walk.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I’d fire Jerry as GM and Stephen as VP.

I’d name Aikman VP and Garrett GM. Then let them run Cowboys Football naming their own HC and staff.

Although I’d hope this would be a popular decision for most much to my recent surprise there are some supporters for Jethro and Son.
Troy has no experience running a team.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's just my opinion, as I stated.

And I'm also of the opinion that Pollard was viewed by the vast majority as a reach pick, and therefore someone they likely could have drafted later. History shows that Isaiah Johnson clearly wasn't, as he was taken with the very next pick.

Also take note of the fact that the Cowboys ultimately traded that subsequent fourth round selection, I think that supports the theory that they "guessed wrong" and the player they thought and hoped would be available there, wasn't.

I'm not alone in that belief either:

"The Trade Downs

The Cowboys had just drafted RB/WR Tony Pollard with the No. 128 pick and handshakes, hugs, fist pumps and high-fives were on full display from the Cowboy War Room Cam.

After three picks in the first four rounds, there was still another selection to look forward to, which was pick number at slot No. 136. Then something happened. The Cowboys traded down with the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas received picks No. 149 and 213 in exchange.

As Stephen Jones confessed, there were some that got away.

We lost some guys that we were right on the cusp of getting. At the same time, we had a good board put together and felt good how we went about it. We traded back a few times, which I think usually happens when you lose a guy or two, not necessarily trying to make a quick pick. I felt good about doing that, and we ended up picking up a couple players.”

There are likely two players who likely fell into that category: Houston corner Isaiah Johnson and Charleston DE John Cominsky.

Johnson was not a pre-draft visitor but was a Kris Richard favorite and it would have been no surprise if he were chosen. Richard worked out Johnson pre-draft and there is scuttlebutt he gave Johnson a heads up that Dallas would indeed draft him. The Cowboys instead chose a specialty player in Pollard and Johnson promptly went with the very next pick.

Cominsky on the other hand was an “Official 30” visitor. He went to the Falcons at pick No. 135, right in front of the Cowboys’ noses one spot ahead of them.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...19-nfl-draft-pivotal-moves-trades-selections/

Good thread Stash.

Like you, I think that Dallas wanted both Pollard and Johnson and they had to decide which one to take first.

I imagine they went with Pollard first because he was the more important player for them... not necessarily that they thought Pollard was the better player. By that I mean they intend to get Pollard on the field plenty in 2019, with him seeing time at RB/slot WR as well as kick returner, while Johnson probably wouldn’t see the field much this season. The team needs to become more diverse in its offensive attack and Pollard was a target to help do just that.

IOW, pollard was key to the new direction the team wants to take while Johnson was not.

Also, I don’t think they felt like there was really anyone that they could take at RB that would be able to do what Pollard can. If they lost him they might have to wait until next year to get a guy who they felt had the ability to fill that unique role, just relying on Austin again (which I don’t think they wanted to do). That versatility and size/speed combo wasn’t really there after Pollard, while there were guys like Mike Jackson they liked that would be available if Johnson got taken ahead of them.

Looking at their decision to take Tony first in that light, it is easy to see why they did it the way they did.

Would Pollard have lasted until their next pick? He very well might have, but they weren’t willing to risk findings out because they didn’t have a viable backup option if he didn’t last. With Johnson, there were guys they could take to groom at CB if he got taken.

That is what I feel was likely the team’s thought process.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sure Elliott's trade value is sky high, based on recent events.
This brings up an interesting thought. Why don’t we ever trade these guys for picks and or players like Gruden and Raiders did before letting them walk?

Does this need to be done the year before their final year of contract ? Anyone know??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good thread Stash.

Like you, I think that Dallas wanted both Pollard and Johnson and they had to decide which one to take first.

I imagine they went with Pollard first because he was the more important player for them... not necessarily that they thought Pollard was the better player. By that I mean they intend to get Pollard on the field plenty in 2019, with him seeing time at RB/slot WR as well as kick returner, while Johnson probably wouldn’t see the field much this season. The team needs to become more diverse in its offensive attack and Pollard was a target to help do just that.

IOW, pollard was key to the new direction the team wants to take while Johnson was not.

Also, I don’t think they felt like there was really anyone that they could take at RB that would be able to do what Pollard can. If they lost him they might have to wait until next year to get a guy who they felt had the ability to fill that unique role, just relying on Austin again (which I don’t think they wanted to do). That versatility and size/speed combo wasn’t really there after Pollard, while there were guys like Mike Jackson they liked that would be available if Johnson got taken ahead of them.

Looking at their decision to take Tony first in that light, it is easy to see why they did it the way they did.

Would Pollard have lasted until their next pick? He very well might have, but they weren’t willing to risk findings out because they didn’t have a viable backup option if he didn’t last. With Johnson, there were guys they could take to groom at CB if he got taken.

That is what I feel was likely the team’s thought process.

That's a very plausible explanation and makes total sense. Now, we just have to see them use Pollard the way you suggest. I've heard a lot of talk before about "secret weapon" guys that has never come to pass. I don't want to see a reapeat of that with Pollard. If you're making the investment, let's see the return.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
That's a very plausible explanation and makes total sense. Now, we just have to see them use Pollard the way you suggest. I've heard a lot of talk before about "secret weapon" guys that has never come to pass. I don't want to see a reapeat of that with Pollard. If you're making the investment, let's see the return.
Yeah, that’s my big question. Will they actually implement the plans for Pollard?

With Moore, hopefully they’ll not be so loath to add a change up.