An Unpopular Decision

visionary

Reaction score
As this is a slow time of year for legitimate news, I thought it might be fun to engage in a hypothetical scenario to encourage conversation and debate. Before we get started, I'd like to preface by telling everyone that it's simply an expertise, with no real impact or weight. Don't get worked up about it! This is simply an exercise for fun, and based on individual opinions. There is no right or wrong answer.

Here the scenario, "You have the Comm", you steer the Cowboys ship and can do whatever you'd like.

What one decision would you make that you can safely assume would be unpopular with many of your fellow Cowboys fans, but one that you feel would be in the team's best interests long term?

For example, would you trade Prescott rather than paying him?

Would you trade or cut another player on the team?

Would you give Garrett an extension before or during the season?

Something along those lines.

Here's mine:

I would try to showcase Byron Jones for a trade rather than attempting to re-sign him. My thinking is this. I believe that it is more about Kri Richard's techniques, player attributes, and system than it is about first round athletic talent. And it is more about aggressiveness and physicality than it is about pure speed. I think that Richard is capable of developing cornerbacks who are good enough that the team won't have to pay what would likely be another huge contract to keep Jones.

And I think that process has already begun. I think he has systematically restocked the cornerback room with "his guys", and players who meet his athletic requirements. He has kept Donovan Olumba on the roster, and added Michael Jackson in the draft, along with UDFA Chris Westry' "his kind of guys".

I believe that the Cowboys made one mistake in this year's draft, they decided to take Tony Pollard ahead of Houston CB Isaiah Johnson. I think they had a decision to make on which player they needed to draft first, and they guessed wrong. I can only speculate, but I believe that Pollard would have been there with their second fourth round pick whereas Johnson was drafted by the Raiders immediately after the Pollard pick. I think they'd like to have that one back (though they'd never admit it!)

The cornerback position is entering a transition period, much like wide receivers did. Players were shipped out and replaced and I think Richard is doing the same with his corners. Jones and Anthony Brown are due for free agency next year and I think the team is actively pursuing replacements for either or both.

This is not a knock on Jones, a fine player and upstanding person, he's a great team guy. But I think the team is faced with having too many big contracts to pay out, and something has got to give. I'd make the decision to trade Byron Jones for what I could get in draft capital for next season and not have to worry about that big contract or losing him for a 2021 comp pick. I realize it would be short term pain for a team I think can contend, but I trust that as he did with Jones and Awuzie, Richard could quickly have a capable replacement ready to step in.

I know it won't be popular, hence the premise of this thread, but that's the way I'd play it.

Anyone else have any unpopular decisions they'd make?

Fire Garrett

No other single decision (other than firing jerry) can have as big an impact

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’d fire Jerry as GM and Stephen as VP.

I’d name Aikman VP and Garrett GM. Then let them run Cowboys Football naming their own HC and staff.

Although I’d hope this would be a popular decision for most much to my recent surprise there are some supporters for Jethro and Son.

Ya know. Putting Garret in the front office is actually intriguing. It would allow the Jones’ to keep him with the team and a member of their social club (I am just speaking in general and not talking about your whole idea of if the Jones were gone).

Whole allowing us to get a new HC.

Actually I think Garrett might do a good job as in the front office.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You won't get anything in return for Byron Jones that will be worth the value he gives to this team unless you are only thinking about avoiding the contract.

Unpopular decision: Trade Zeke to a team that thinks they are one piece away and get a high draft pick and avoid giving an RB a gigantic contract.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
What one decision would you make that you can safely assume would be unpopular with many of your fellow Cowboys fans, but one that you feel would be in the team's best interests long term?

At this point, saying I’d sign Zeke, Dak, and Cooper to long time contracts is probably already enough to anger half the people on this board since some percentage think “the straw that stirs the drink” is somehow replaceable and another group wants to get rid of our winning young quarterback.

So above and beyond that, I just want to say that the GM and his staff are doing a great job. They’ve been killing it in the draft, I love this young team of talent they’ve assembled, and I love how they’re making Garrett show us something this year before he’s extended. I like Kellen, Richard and I like Kitna.

2019 is going to be a really special season.

JBS

Reaction score
As this is a slow time of year for legitimate news, I thought it might be fun to engage in a hypothetical scenario to encourage conversation and debate. Before we get started, I'd like to preface by telling everyone that it's simply an expertise, with no real impact or weight. Don't get worked up about it! This is simply an exercise for fun, and based on individual opinions. There is no right or wrong answer.

Here the scenario, "You have the Comm", you steer the Cowboys ship and can do whatever you'd like.

For example, would you trade Prescott rather than paying him?

Would you trade or cut another player on the team?

Would you give Garrett an extension before or during the season?

Something along those lines.

Here's mine:

I would try to showcase Byron Jones for a trade rather than attempting to re-sign him. My thinking is this. I believe that it is more about Kri Richard's techniques, player attributes, and system than it is about first round athletic talent. And it is more about aggressiveness and physicality than it is about pure speed. I think that Richard is capable of developing cornerbacks who are good enough that the team won't have to pay what would likely be another huge contract to keep Jones.

And I think that process has already begun. I think he has systematically restocked the cornerback room with "his guys", and players who meet his athletic requirements. He has kept Donovan Olumba on the roster, and added Michael Jackson in the draft, along with UDFA Chris Westry' "his kind of guys".

I believe that the Cowboys made one mistake in this year's draft, they decided to take Tony Pollard ahead of Houston CB Isaiah Johnson. I think they had a decision to make on which player they needed to draft first, and they guessed wrong. I can only speculate, but I believe that Pollard would have been there with their second fourth round pick whereas Johnson was drafted by the Raiders immediately after the Pollard pick. I think they'd like to have that one back (though they'd never admit it!)

The cornerback position is entering a transition period, much like wide receivers did. Players were shipped out and replaced and I think Richard is doing the same with his corners. Jones and Anthony Brown are due for free agency next year and I think the team is actively pursuing replacements for either or both.

This is not a knock on Jones, a fine player and upstanding person, he's a great team guy. But I think the team is faced with having too many big contracts to pay out, and something has got to give. I'd make the decision to trade Byron Jones for what I could get in draft capital for next season and not have to worry about that big contract or losing him for a 2021 comp pick. I realize it would be short term pain for a team I think can contend, but I trust that as he did with Jones and Awuzie, Richard could quickly have a capable replacement ready to step in.

I know it won't be popular, hence the premise of this thread, but that's the way I'd play it.

Anyone else have any unpopular decisions they'd make?

I don't think this is all that unpopular. Rather, I think it's far more likely that what you would be offered in a trade would make any deal far less attractive. Nobody is trading you a 1 for Jones. So why deal him for a 2 when you can keep him for a year and get a 3 later? I'm open to the idea, I'm all for trading him, assuming the deal made sense..I don't see how it would though

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fire Garrett

No other single decision (other than firing jerry) can have as big an impact

giphy.gif

The thread title clearly states "unpopular decision".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think this is all that unpopular. Rather, I think it's far more likely that what you would be offered in a trade would make any deal far less attractive. Nobody is trading you a 1 for Jones. So why deal him for a 2 when you can keep him for a year and get a 3 later? I'm open to the idea, I'm all for trading him, assuming the deal made sense..I don't see how it would though

Yes, that would be exactly my thinking. I can't expect to get a 1st round pick, so I'd take a second rounder in 2020. And keep in mind that at best, that third round compensatory comes at the very end of round three in the 2021 draft. So, in essence, its like comparing a 2020 2nd round pick vs a 2021 4th rounder , as well as the fact that picks are considered alone round more valueble sooner rather than later.

And the comp pick is conditional as well, offset or eliminated by anyone added in free agency, so there is that consideration as well.

I'd take a second round pick for him next year if I could get it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And Elway has damaged his reputation with in his inability to find a QB for the Broncos. I would hate for Troy to have similar problems if he ran the Cowboys.

It's almost as if just drafting a "franchise QB" in the first round isn't as easy as some seem to think. :huh:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's almost as if just drafting a "franchise QB" in the first round isn't as easy as some seem to think. :huh:

He has only drafted one QB in the late first since losing Peyton - people act like their Super Bowl was 20 years ago, it happened in 2015 and they busted out on one QB they drafted in the first since then. The year they took Lynch, there were 3 starting QBs in the draft a one really good backup QB. Two teams ended up with franchise QBs.

Don't allow the Browns, Bills, and Jets fool you into thinking it's near impossible to get your franchise guy in the draft.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
At this point, saying I’d sign Zeke, Dak, and Cooper to long time contracts is probably already enough to anger half the people on this board since some percentage think “the straw that stirs the drink” is somehow replaceable and another group wants to get rid of our winning young quarterback.

So above and beyond that, I just want to say that the GM and his staff are doing a great job. They’ve been killing it in the draft, I love this young team of talent they’ve assembled, and I love how they’re making Garrett show us something this year before he’s extended. I like Kellen, Richard and I like Kitna.

2019 is going to be a really special season.
The unpopular decision to keep everyone. Love it.

JBS

Reaction score
Yes, that would be exactly my thinking. I can't expect to get a 1st round pick, so I'd take a second rounder in 2020. And keep in mind that at best, that third round compensatory comes at the very end of round three in the 2021 draft. So, in essence, its like comparing a 2020 2nd round pick vs a 2021 4th rounder , as well as the fact that picks are considered alone round more valueble sooner rather than later.

And the comp pick is conditional as well, offset or eliminated by anyone added in free agency, so there is that consideration as well.

I'd take a second round pick for him next year if I could get it.

That's fine. I think that's reasonable.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He has only drafted one QB in the late first since losing Peyton - people act like their Super Bowl was 20 years ago, it happened in 2015 and they busted out on one QB they drafted in the first since then. The year they took Lynch, there were 3 starting QBs in the draft a one really good backup QB. Two teams ended up with franchise QBs.

Don't allow the Browns, Bills, and Jets fool you into thinking it's near impossible to get your franchise guy in the draft.

You certainly do love your straw men. Do you argue with yourself in real life, too? :muttley: