An Unpopular Decision

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time processing the Pollard pick. Seems like we've got 3 dual threat run/receive slot WRs. In particular, Cobb's money is guaranteed, and they're singing his praises, so I don't why they felt the need to rush on Pollard.

I'm not a big fan of Cobb, but with guaranteed money and talky talk they seem to be. So why the reach on Pollard?

Ya i still dont understand the Pollard pick

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm having a hard time processing the Pollard pick. Seems like we've got 3 dual threat run/receive slot WRs. In particular, Cobb's money is guaranteed, and they're singing his praises, so I don't why they felt the need to rush on Pollard.

I'm not a big fan of Cobb, but with guaranteed money and talky talk they seem to be. So why the reach on Pollard?

It doesn't add up to me either. But from what I've read and heard, it was a "Kellen Moore special" and a player and role he really wanted for his offense. If that's the case, it's now completely on him to make this work, and to justify a team with the league's leading rusher two of the past 3 years and #4 overall draft pick using another 4th round pick on another running back. Pollard has to have his own role in this offense to justify this decision in my mind.

One thing I will say, all of the main options for the slot position (Cobb, Austin, and Hurns) are free agents next year (if not sooner) so they may have wanted to make a move to have someone with experience in that role for next year as well, from that perspective, it makes a bit more sense to me.

Blake

Reaction score
I'd replace this roster with the entire 2001 Cowboys roster.

I'd think that would be pretty unpopular.

That's alot of arthritis for team physicians to deal with. I can hear the knee and elbow joints cracking already.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just saying that I view it as a mistake because I think if they had reversed their decision and taken Johnson, first, Pollard would have been there with their second fourth rounder a few picks later.

What's wrong with me having that opinion? It's widely shared.

Good thread Stash.

Like you, I think that Dallas wanted both Pollard and Johnson and they had to decide which one to take first.

I imagine they went with Pollard first because he was the more important player for them... not necessarily that they thought Pollard was the better player. By that I mean they intend to get Pollard on the field plenty in 2019, with him seeing time at RB/slot WR as well as kick returner, while Johnson probably wouldn’t see the field much this season. The team needs to become more diverse in its offensive attack and Pollard was a target to help do just that.

IOW, pollard was key to the new direction the team wants to take while Johnson was not.

Also, I don’t think they felt like there was really anyone that they could take at RB that would be able to do what Pollard can. If they lost him they might have to wait until next year to get a guy who they felt had the ability to fill that unique role, just relying on Austin again (which I don’t think they wanted to do). That versatility and size/speed combo wasn’t really there after Pollard, while there were guys like Mike Jackson they liked that would be available if Johnson got taken ahead of them.

Looking at their decision to take Tony first in that light, it is easy to see why they did it the way they did.

Would Pollard have lasted until their next pick? He very well might have, but they weren’t willing to risk findings out because they didn’t have a viable backup option if he didn’t last. With Johnson, there were guys they could take to groom at CB if he got taken.

That is what I feel was likely the team’s thought process.

I get the feeling that Mike Jackson was just slightly below Isaiah Johnson on the Cowboys CB rankings.

The CB they really wanted was Justin Layne but he was picked at #83 and they had pick #90.

Three we know they liked:

Justin Layne
¤Picked in the 3rd round (#83).​
Isaiah Johnson
¤Picked in the late 4th (#129).
¤Great measurable(s) but very raw.​
Mike Jackson
¤Picked in the 5th (#158).
¤Measurable(s) not too far from Johnson.
¤More developed CB than Johnson.

Player ..... .………… Johnson ... Jackson .... Layne
Height ..... . ………… 6’1-7/8” . .. . 6’0-5/8” . .. . 6’1-3/4”
Weight ...... ………… 205 ….. ….. 210 ….. ….. 192
40 Yard ... . ………… 4.40 . . . . . . 4.45 . . . . . . 4.50
20 Yard ... . ………… 2.56 . . . . . . 2.64 . . . . . . 2.65
10 Yard ... . ………… 1.55 . . . . . . 1.60 . . . . . . 1.59
Bench ....... ………… 9 . .…. .…. . 13 . . . . . . . . x
Vert ......... . ………… 36 1/2 … … 40 1/2 … … 37 1/2
Broad ...... . ………… 11'01" … … 10'10" … … 11’02”
SS ........... . ………… 4.06 . . . . . . 4.12 . . . . . . 4.09
3-Cone .... . ………… 6.81 . . . . . . 7.12 . . . . . . 6.90
Hand ....... . ………… 9 . .…. .…. . 9 3/4 .… …. 9 1/4
Arm ......... . ………… 33 1/8 … … 32 1/2 … … 33
Wingspan... ………… 79 1/2 … … 77 1/4 … … 80 1/8

Note: Mike Jackson had a hand timed 4.39 forty.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It doesn't add up to me either. But from what I've read and heard, it was a "Kellen Moore special" and a player and role he really wanted for his offense. If that's the case, it's now completely on him to make this work, and to justify a team with the league's leading rusher two of the past 3 years and #4 overall draft pick using another 4th round pick on another running back. Pollard has to have his own role in this offense to justify this decision in my mind.

One thing I will say, all of the main options for the slot position (Cobb, Austin, and Hurns) are free agents next year (if not sooner) so they may have wanted to make a move to have someone with experience in that role for next year as well, from that perspective, it makes a bit more sense to me.

Pollard is a fit as a dual run/catch threat from the slot. We've been working that for a long time. Cobb kind of gives us that, though less run threat. Austin gives us some of that too. But do we have 3 of these guys on the roster? Seems a bit much.

Pollard does give us game day RB carries should Zeke get knocked out. Between Pollard in the base, and Olawale for short yardage and pass downs, we've actually got backup RB covered with game day role players. That's a good deal. Let's us *not* keep a full game backup for Zeke on the 53.

I can see how Pollard fits in well on a multi threat run game. And I like that we've gone grown up sized for our gadget player and returner.

Given that they guaranteed Cobb's significant money, and Pollard isn't going anywhere, Austin looks like the odd man out. Too bad. He was very productive per touch for us.

As for Hurns, he's a different animal in the slot. Possession receiver, move the chains, red zone.

One thing I'm trying to remind myself for Pollard. He was sick for the combine, and shaved a tenth of a second off his 40 at his pro day.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...hletic-markers-analysis-rb-wr-2019-nfl-draft/

We've got a lot of WRs I like. One or two probably get injured and make the decision on who to keep for us.

Still feels like a reach, but Pollard is a good fit for us. They must have liked him. I'm not gonna get heartburn over a pick like this a little early. Let Boy Genius II show us his magic.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I understand we've had many of these guys and never used them is my point.

Didn't use Austin much last year, despite his productivity per target.

My theory on Austin and Olawale is that management wanted a multi run threat offense but Linehan just wasn't onboard, and that's why Austin and Olawale are back, and Linehan isn't.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Drafted and traded switzer for nothing

Ha! Forgot all about Switzer. He was a little more on the running back side that Lucky, but apparently didn't think so himself.

We got something for him that didn't work out, while we were way overstocked at WR. I was more than fine with letting him go. He was supposed to be a big kick threat, but was largely a dud.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Ha! Forgot all about Switzer. He was a little more on the running back side that Lucky, but apparently didn't think so himself.

We got something for him that didn't work out, while we were way overstocked at WR. I was more than fine with letting him go. He was supposed to be a big kick threat, but was largely a dud.

He was another flex player we didnt use. Which is why I said I dont understand the Pollard pick. They must really think Moore will change the game. He cant do any worse than linehan but I always am a wait and see person when it comes tot he cowboys. I dont buy Into much.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We don't have a 3rd down RB on the roster, nor do we have a competent KR.

That help?

Zeke and Olawale work for me as 3rd down RBs. Gimme the physical guys when you need to make that extra yard to move the chains.

Olawale can be Richie Anderson II.

I don't want to be counting on a rookie to move the chains or protect Dak on 3rd. Pollard fits on 1st and 2nd to me as a dual run/receiving threat. He's the last back I want in on 3rd down.