Analyzing what we know and what we think we know, our next OC likely a Parcells/Payton disciple

_sturt_

Reaction score
Working theory that tries to make sense of all the knowns and the hints...

We pretty well know that there was a good feeling for how the Marinelli/Richard arrangement worked this year... that suggests we possibly could be looking at a mirror plan on the offensive side.

We know that Jerry hinted that he'd be interested in some coaches that might not yet be available because they're still coaching... that strongly suggests there wasn't anyone among those already available that they were excited about, but would be from among those who aren't.

We know that Campbell is the one guy in that group who are still coaching this weekend who has a positive regard where Garrett is concerned, and probably from where the Joneses sit, as well... and... that Campbell was interviewed for, iirc, 3 different head coach openings... that suggests Joneses would like to bring him on, but they're also wary that he's going to shortly find a head coaching gig, and they'd be right back where they started.

We think we know that Campbell and Lombardi are both available after the season ends... but we can't really be sure of that... maybe only one, but for the reason that follows, I think reason holds that it is, indeed, at least one.

We know that Linehan was let go already... and that there was no real expectation that that was going to happen until last Monday when Red and his bosses met... and so, rationally, you don't give up "good" until you know you've got "better"... so, no need to let him go already, if we didn't already have a fairly good idea of who was going to be his replacement... so, almost certainly, they already have a really, really good idea of who they're bringing in.

We know that Brees is near the end of his career... which suggests it is likely a better idea to the New Orleans guys to jump over to DAL where a young QB has already done something rather than wait to see if NO can find their next QB.

So, reasoning all that out, it seems plausible that, shortly after NO loses a game, or wins the SB, one of these will occur:

1. Both Campbell and Lombardi will be invited to DAL to become the offensive equivalent of the Marinelli/Richard combo. (And maybe Moore stays on as QB coach, or maybe he doesn't.)

2. Lombardi or Campbell will be invited to DAL to become the next OC. (Maybe one of the two still has a contract and NO won't let him leave. Or maybe there's just more interest in Campbell because he and Red have the bonds they do. Or maybe there's just more interest in Lombardi because it's figured he's more likely to stick around awhile.)

Last edited:

_sturt_

Reaction score
2019-01-19_1938.png

"I love Dan Campbell. He's a tough guy and a real good friend of mine. I have great admiration and respect for him. He was an outstanding teammate. I was so excited when he got into coaching because I believed he could bring a lot to people around him. I'm not surprised one bit that he's had the success that he's had."

====

2019-01-19_1934.png

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I agree you don't give up "good" until you have "better", but considering Linehan was probably the worst OC in the NFL, it's not hard to improve on that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I would not want Campbell. Secondly, whats so good about Lombardi besides his name?

We need a innovative playcaller. Someone who can throw away Garrett's playbook and implement an offense that will fit the Cowboys.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Bring in a good OC and not a buddy.

If this is Jeopardy, that's an answer to a different question... who do fans want to be the next OC for the Dallas Cowboys

The question here is, what does the evidence say about who is going to be the next OC for the Dallas Cowboys.

Last edited:

_sturt_

Reaction score
I agree you don't give up "good" until you have "better", but considering Linehan was probably the worst OC in the NFL, it's not hard to improve on that.

You're welcome to think that, but it doesn't seem at all likely that that was what the braintrust making the decision thought.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't know what that means.

You're welcome to dispute anything there. Not much assumption in the OP. A lot of it just "is."

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I would not want Campbell. Secondly, whats so good about Lombardi besides his name?

We need a innovative playcaller. Someone who can throw away Garrett's playbook and implement an offense that will fit the Cowboys.

He has been Brees QB coach for years so if nothing else he should be very good for Dak. The Saints are also a modern, high production offense that he's been involved with.

Maybe he's not the best candidate but I think our offense improves if he comes onboard. Add in all the other stuff the OP mentioned and I think there's a strong chance that Lombardi is in the plans, for better or worse. This move has JJ written all over it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
JOE LOMBARDI is the key. They want him to work with Dak. Campbell could ACTUALLY be the HC if you think about it...and Lombardi would be the QB coach and OC.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Point well-taken, @Alexander . I've asked this before, but maybe you have a different answer to the question...

Can a current assistant under contract to a team still in contention be officially contacted by a team like us, or would that constitute tampering?

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't. At all.

I'm hard to persuade that Payton's leaving NO as long as Brees is playing football.

_sturt_

Reaction score
JOE LOMBARDI is the key. They want him to work with Dak. Campbell could ACTUALLY be the HC if you think about it...and Lombardi would be the QB coach and OC.

The love for Jason Garrett in Cowboys HQ is as self-evident as-is the loathing for Jason Garrett among some on this board.

So, Payton, if he were available, certainly would challenge that love inside HQ for Garrett, but it would take that much to separate them from Red, imo.

But.

Another way to think about it is if they would decide to transition away from Red as HC, they could have Campbell already in-house and ready to move into that position.

I do think there's some attraction to that idea for Jerry, based on my perception... just my perception, nothing else... that he sees a lot of the best parts of not only Parcells but Bill Cowher in Dan Campbell.