And here comes Jerry blowing smoke up your butt 2018

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not sure how one concludes the DEs are comparable, especially if you count Irving as a DT.

It's easy.

When you already have one of the top 3 DE's in the game at one spot, a pretty good DE at the other and a first round pick who's coming around... Then you're in decent shape. If you want to keep imagining that Philly has some big edge there... Then so be it.

And if the Cowboys get anything out of the #1 DT spot this season (a black hole in '17), it will help make the ends even better.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
It's easy.

When you already have one of the top 3 DE's in the game at one spot, a pretty good DE at the other and a first round pick who's coming around... Then you're in decent shape. If you want to keep imagining that Philly has some big edge there... Then so be it.

And if the Cowboys get anything out of the #1 DT spot this season (a black hole in '17), it will help make the ends even better.

except Phillys D didnt vanish when their leader and starting MLB went out for the year . The Dline is only as strong as the man behind them .... and its more then just one player as its a team .

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
except Phillys D didnt vanish when their leader and starting MLB went out for the year . The Dline is only as strong as the man behind them .... and its more then just one player as its a team .

I admire how the Eagles' D kept things together, but it doesn't take away my perception that the Cowboy D-line is not far off from the Eagle D-line.

Roland

Reaction score
I will agree that Philly has a better Dline than we do. We spent a lot of time building our Offense and the D suffered. We all know that we have needed to improve this D for years. That's also how the Giants won their last trophy, and Denver. When you can bring wave after wave of pressure on the QB, it has a way affecting the win lose column to your favor. We have been trying to improve our DL the last few years but it hasn't paid off yet. We did get better and younger in the Dbackfield. We have (imo) created a decent rotation for DE. If we shore up the DT positions better this year (draft a solid 1T), get some insurance for LB (if and when Lee goes down for a week or two), I think we can be a contender this year. Maybe not at Philly's D level, but we could be top 10, and that might just be enough... could be even more interesting if Gregory makes it back but not counting on that.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Guess what is so mind boggling is, when Lee is out do we even field a defensive team. The egirls lost there LB and they didnt skip a beat.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Only gap is the QB and defense.

... and if they draft an OG and WR early like many fans want them to, that should close that gap right up.

GreenMean69

Reaction score

... and if they draft an OG and WR early like many fans want them to, that should close that gap right up.

Id expect to see Saftey / TE / OG would be man focus rest of positions we are pretty tight at and young

Rayman70

Reaction score
I will agree that Philly has a better Dline than we do. We spent a lot of time building our Offense and the D suffered. We all know that we have needed to improve this D for years. That's also how the Giants won their last trophy, and Denver. When you can bring wave after wave of pressure on the QB, it has a way affecting the win lose column to your favor. We have been trying to improve our DL the last few years but it hasn't paid off yet. We did get better and younger in the Dbackfield. We have (imo) created a decent rotation for DE. If we shore up the DT positions better this year (draft a solid 1T), get some insurance for LB (if and when Lee goes down for a week or two), I think we can be a contender this year. Maybe not at Philly's D level, but we could be top 10, and that might just be enough... could be even more interesting if Gregory makes it back but not counting on that.
Philly will be vulnerable. Wentz is coming off of a major injury/rehab. Foles has much film on him now in this offense. Blount is gone(that's big). Bennett will be unavailable likely for most of the year..so its not like its a forgone conclusion that THEY are the team to beat. We got work to do,but we can do it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think there’s a huge gap between those teams either. But I wish someone could give Jerry some good advice: Stop talking and just work.

Let your team do its talking through results. Let your coach talk about the team. And you Jerry- just shut up and work hard to make this team better. The scoreboard is the only talk that matters!!!! If the team wins, you will get that almighty credit you crave.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Sure, the qb play in the playoffs (Eagles). Their regular season qb play isn't a gap compared to Dak. Wentz career comp % is 61%. Foles is 60%.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
Sure, the qb play in the playoffs (Eagles). Their regular season qb play isn't a gap compared to Dak. Wentz career comp % is 61%. Foles is 60%.

So were are going beyond just last season ? Wentz did well for what he had to deal with his rookie year . Lets not forget that was the team Chip kelly destroyed of all talent even more hurtful the home growns. Unlike Dak , Wentz and the entire team had a new system. Much eaiser to get dropped into something thats already in place then build from new :D

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I don't think there's a big gap either.
They lost a LT, Starting LB, Sproles and a starting QB, shellaced the cowboys in the only game that counted for them - and won the SB versus NE putting up a 40 burger with a superior game plan. Dallas scored 1 TD in 11 quarters the moment EE wasnt there, gave up 35 points or more the times Lee wasnt there, and gave up 6 sacks to journeyman when replacing their LT.

I know they beat the eagles 6-0 in the final game, but something doesnt compute about "a close gap"

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Here we go again, but I don't think the gap is all that significant, either. Most of us would have agreed the gap was in our favor just the season before. We lost a handful of decent players, and had a fairly successful draft. They added several good players, had a decent draft, and went on a run and won it all.

That NOV game wasn't a great indication of where the teams were at. We played it without Smith, Elliott, Lee, Bailey, and even Heath. We were outclassed, but there was a lot going on with both teams at that point and it was our week in the barrel.

To catch them, though, we have to add talent, especially on defense. We've gotten worse there, and not better so far.
The gap between the "processes" are pretty big, point in time notwithstanding