And that’s why Richard is still here

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
The Patriots may have learned something from watching the film of Dallas get blown out. One thing was clear, the Patriots DL was not allowing the Rams to open huge holes. The DTs of teh Pats were holding their ground. I believe Shelton is a Fee Agent, would love to add a guy like him to the Cowboys roster.
Their linemen stayed in their gaps and flowed forward something we did not do. We played to our tendencies and the Rams found the weakness in it and exploited it with the run game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ummm because Marinalli is the DC, NOT Richards maybe?
KR had tons of input ie hes the games planner and coordinator.Marinelli is just intitle over him..i like how all season KR gets credit when they played well but when they get mauled he all of sudden was held back by RM..LMAO right bro, so somehow KR just sat back and let the team stay in lets get rammed by the rams a full 4 quarters and said nothing made no input on adjusting?:facepalm::muttley:

glimmerman

Reaction score
I kept posting that this was Marinelli scheme against the Rams and not Richard. We can tell if a gameplan was done by Richard because he would send pressure all game. Marinelli will blitz for the first quarter and then send 4 for the rest of the game with some trickery from the DLine. That was why many teams were scoring points in the 2nd half during the 2016 when the entire stadium knew they were passing because they knew who was coming on each down.
Was obvious when we didn’t adjust to stop the run after we stopped much better running teams all year. Richard puts the pressure on his corners to cover so he can stuff the run and get after the QB. He has our CB playing up tight and jamming recievers.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think a better DT helps us.

It was a scheme issue. When you have a top 5 run defense and then give up 270 yards it was probably more then just a talent issue.

Our linebackers are probably the best in football and they looked horrible.

I actually do believe that better talent at DT helps us here. Without the ability to anchor, we can't implement the scheme needed to defeat the game plan the Rams used. You have to rely on movement all up and down the DL and that's what the Rams took advantage of. I agree, it's more then talent, you have to have the ability to devise and recognize but you can't make any of that work unless you have a DT who can stonewall you and make you play Big Boy Football.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
KR had tons of input ie hes the games planner and coordinator.Marinelli is just intitle over him..i like how all season KR gets credit when they played well but when they get mauled he all of sudden was held back by RM..LMAO right bro, so somehow KR just sat back and let the team stay in lets get rammed by the rams a full 4 quarters and said nothing made no input on adjusting?:facepalm::muttley:
And you were there, on the side lines and in the locker room at the half to backup that he said, did nothing? Hum man I need to live your life if you get to be all up in the team like that...:popcorn:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Because Linehan has trotted out the same game plan every week for the last 2 years and never adjusts until we've lost the game. Then he comes out the next week and does the total opposite of what he did the week before.

Richard made a huge difference. I was very upset with him after the Rams loss. There were some on here blaming MArinelli but this is Richards defense and has been all season.

Richard against the Rams was a huge disappointment.

Garrett has just been a huge disappointment for years.
we lost due to defense, no doubt no debate.. we went into the game as we are who we are Offense got 22points no TOs kept it close enough and the defense just kept getting bulled over which was the opposite of what they were say most of the year and against the seahawks run game..so the defense failed it didnt show our offese was what it had been so you cant blame them for not getting 32 points when the TOP and drives were very limited.. case in point NE beat rams 13-3 that defense saying no way this happens on us..one TO or a few timely sacks on Goff and a stop or two gives our offense say to more drives..different game

Defense blew the game

blueblood70

Reaction score
And you were there, on the side lines and in the locker room at the half to backup that he said, did nothing? Hum man I need to live your life if you get to be all up in the team like that...:popcorn:
if he did or didnt the proof is there, Team Defense blew the game and here we sit blaming Dak and the offense questioning Zeke when the defense got rag dolled..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I actually do believe that better talent at DT helps us here. Without the ability to anchor, we can't implement the scheme needed to defeat the game plan the Rams used. You have to rely on movement all up and down the DL and that's what the Rams took advantage of. I agree, it's more then talent, you have to have the ability to devise and recognize but you can't make any of that work unless you have a DT who can stonewall you and make you play Big Boy Football.
Not a excuse but Woods hurting his shoulder early took away much of the talent we had at DT. That and the fact Irving couldn’t get his crap together. Would have been a good addition for that game. Collins plays well but we need more talent and size there. At least to rotate in on running downs.

visionary

Reaction score
our philisophy on both sides of the ball is different
We basically do what we do every week
If you listen to Sean McVay post game, the Pats changed most of their defensive scheme, meaning the Rams were surprised, confused and couldn’t adjust. The Pats also adjusted during the game.

We don’t do that.

In game adjustment?

Garrett fans laugh at your naïveté

No one does that, I tell you
No one

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
we lost due to defense, no doubt no debate.. we went into the game as we are who we are Offense got 22points no TOs kept it close enough and the defense just kept getting bulled over which was the opposite of what they were say most of the year and against the seahawks run game..so the defense failed it didnt show our offese was what it had been so you cant blame them for not getting 32 points when the TOP and drives were very limited.. case in point NE beat rams 13-3 that defense saying no way this happens on us..one TO or a few timely sacks on Goff and a stop or two gives our offense say to more drives..different game

Defense blew the game

I agree.

I hold Richard more accountable then anyone for that Rams game.

I gave up on Garrett way before that and another year of predictable football was just more confirmation for what I already knew about JG.

foofighters

Reaction score
When was the last time you saw this team adjust at half-time with any success? This goes far beyond our D coaches...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meaning this is why he didn’t get a HC job and the NE DC did

Our defense was not prepared for the Rams, no doubt, but you don't judge a coach (or a player) based on one game. If you were to do that you could pick individual games where the Pats did poorly and use that to say their coaches do a bad job. The Rams offense clearly didn't handle things well in the Super Bowl, but does that negate everything McVay did that helped them get there?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I don’t think that was Richards game plan. I believe that it was Marinelli that did the game plan and called the plays. Richard was busy out interviewing for HC jobs instead of concentrating on the game plan for the rams. Seems Richard calls a more aggressive game. Puts more pressure on his corners and comes after the run and QB. I kept waiting for us to adjust and take the run game away. They did it all year long so there was no excuse. These LB and front 4 can do it. But seemed to play prevent all night. They couldn’t see that everytime they put the ball in goffs hands and pressured him that he threw bad passes.
The Chick basically ran the Bears defense against the Rams. He only cares about winning and is not worried about being married to a scheme. Richard on the other hand is married to his scheme. Even when he was coaching in Seattle our coaches and players always said that they do what they do. Richard would have never did what The Chick did and change his entire scheme.

Oh yea Richard has admitted that he was calling plays defensively since day one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
look at our defensive game plan against the rams then look at the Pats.

Richard was not the Cowboys Defensive Coordinator. Calling plays is not remotely the same as installing his own defense.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Actually Rod still had a big input in the defensive game plan but not adjusting at halftime was ridiculous.

CWR

Reaction score
I don’t think that was Richards game plan. I believe that it was Marinelli that did the game plan and called the plays. Richard was busy out interviewing for HC jobs instead of concentrating on the game plan for the rams. Seems Richard calls a more aggressive game. Puts more pressure on his corners and comes after the run and QB. I kept waiting for us to adjust and take the run game away. They did it all year long so there was no excuse. These LB and front 4 can do it. But seemed to play prevent all night. They couldn’t see that everytime they put the ball in goffs hands and pressured him that he threw bad passes.

All I can say is I hope he learned from that, because we are likely to be in the same damn situation next year or the following.