Video: Andy Dalton expects to compete to be the Cowboys’ starter if Dak Prescott holds out

Buzzbait

Reaction score
That's not realistic. The Cowboys can't pay Dak $30-35 million a year just to compete for the job. And that's not just a Dallas thing. It's not common for starting QBs in the NFL to be subject to an open competition for the job every year unless the team has little or no confidence in that QB.
Realistically, teams cannot pay the kind of money QBs get paid these days just for that QB to compete for the job.
To much money and salary cap space is used up on starting QBs for that.

Very true! If you have a young QB still on his rookie contract maybe, but it would be a very unlikely scenario for an expensive and healthy QB.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You set the bar too low. Better than Brady? You betcha.
lol I know he’s already the goat What did you think of the rookie running back last season. I think he’s every bit as good as Elliot just different.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dalton sucks that’s the point. He can’t make it outside throw he floats the ball interception he can’t make the deep throw floats the ball interception. What you can do is read a defense People said the same thing about are rookie running back last season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
lol I know he’s already the goat What did you think of the rookie running back last season. I think he’s every bit as good as Elliot just different.

I don't know. He won't raise his shirt so we can see if he has a six-pack or a keg.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak is not turning down $31.4m to play in 2020. He'll play on the tag if no long term deal by 7/15. He's not Laveon Bell. Or John Riggins.

He's not holding out. There's nothing to hold out for. Come on. Dallas will get him signed by 7/15, because next year's tag is $37.5m, and the cap itself could decrease by 30% if there're no fans in the stands. So however they structure it, the cap hit in 2021 will be lower than $37.5m (probably much lower).

Cowboys have reportedly offerred 35m+ per season over 5 years, the tag over 2 years averages 34.4m. Dak is the one turning down more money

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
If Dak plays on the tag then there will definately be a competition in camp for the job (it won't be announced that way but it will be there). If he signs the long term deal he is the starter period.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Cowboys have reportedly offerred 35m+ per season over 5 years, the tag over 2 years averages 34.4m. Dak is the one turning down more money

The guaranteed $ that was reported is less than Goff and Wentz. But none of us know what was really offered.

Regardless, my point is that Dak won’t hold out, and will at the very least play on the franchise tag in 2020 for $31.4m. He’s going to bet on himself and gamble that a bigger payday will happen in 2021 if there’s no long term deal by 7/15/20. He’s not going to sit out and walk away from $31.4m. He has nothing to gain by doing that.

The Jones’s messed this up big time. They could have extended after 2018 for so much less than what they’re going to pay. Just like they did with D-Law.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
The guaranteed $ that was reported is less than Goff and Wentz. But none of us know what was really offered.

Regardless, my point is that Dak won’t hold out, and will at the very least play on the franchise tag in 2020 for $31.4m. He’s going to bet on himself and gamble that a bigger payday will happen in 2021 if there’s no long term deal by 7/15/20. He’s not going to sit out and walk away from $31.4m. He has nothing to gain by doing that.

The Jones’s messed this up big time. They could have extended after 2018 for so much less than what they’re going to pay. Just like they did with D-Law.

I never said he would hold what i have said is he will play under the tag, they are 2 different things all together. I think he will sign the tag and report to camp on time

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak will play under the tag if a contract doesn't get worked out, not playing doesn't benefit him at all, even if some other team offers him more money (assuming he doesn't get tagged the same way by Dallas next year), he will have lost over $30 million dollars, he'll never be able to make that up even if some other team offers him $40 mil a year, on a 5 year deal he'd really only be making $34 million a year ($30 mil lost divided into a 5 year deal).

Besides, it's apparently not a $$ issue, it's length of contract, somebody will blink and he'll sign I believe, and I also believe it will be Jerry that will blink. He knows this team is in a win-now mode even more than next year, with all the contracts that will be up next year, T. Smith, Lee and others nearing retirement as well. Jerry learned his lesson with Emmitt, he played hard ball and the team fell way back without Emmitt, he won't risk that again.

At least that's how I see it...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
i've got a feeling if there was a true competition in camp between Andy and Dak, it might surprise some folks how well Andy would do. I think Dak's youth would probably give him the edge (bigger body, able to withstand hits better), but it's a closer competition than anyone is giving it credit for.

I don't. Dak is better.