Video: Andy Dalton expects to compete to be the Cowboys’ starter if Dak Prescott holds out

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is what pisses me off! He should be competing for the starting job regardless of if Dak is signed of not. I hate the idea of players not having to compete for their job year in and year out.
Too bad you never said as much against #9 in the old threads.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If Dak holds out, what else should Dalton expect? He's here to be Dak's backup. If Dak holds out, of course he expects to start.

Golfzilla77

Reaction score
i've got a feeling if there was a true competition in camp between Andy and Dak, it might surprise some folks how well Andy would do. I think Dak's youth would probably give him the edge (bigger body, able to withstand hits better), but it's a closer competition than anyone is giving it credit for.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what Dalton can do with some real coaching.
Frankly..

He could be an MVP possibility with us.

He has carried his teams at times. 5 playoff appearances with inferior teams.

Dak had had incredible rosters behind him and produced 2 playoff loses with one win.

Dalton is mature. He knows where he is in his career.

These things are positive.

Like so many times in our past we will probably make the wrong decision becuz our owner will place financial reasons before football reasons.

I expect nothing good out of any of this.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I believe in essence he is holding out.

He I believe is not attending the online work.

What's that.?

I do not see him with a note from his mommy saying he is too sick to play.

And yes, I know she has passed away.
That's as low as one can go...bringing up Dak's deceased mother up to attack and make fun of Dak...and then admitting you know she is deceased.

Talk about intentionally bringing any player's poor deceased mother up without any respect for said player...simply because you hate the player. Sick.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So a report that the backup QB will compete for the role of starter if the current starter isn’t available.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Dak is not turning down $31.4m to play in 2020. He'll play on the tag if no long term deal by 7/15. He's not Laveon Bell. Or John Riggins.

He's not holding out. There's nothing to hold out for. Come on. Dallas will get him signed by 7/15, because next year's tag is $37.5m, and the cap itself could decrease by 30% if there're no fans in the stands. So however they structure it, the cap hit in 2021 will be lower than $37.5m (probably much lower).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Kind of a stupid argument.

If Dak holds out, I sure as heck expect Dalton to compete for the starters job.

I mean, who's his competition??? Clayton Thorson or Ben DiNucci?

Well, Dalton knows we have the great DiNucci, so he only expects to compete if Dak holds out since he can't possibly be expected to stop DiNucci's ascension.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Expected to compete. Sure why not. But definitely not expected to start. That’s ridiculous to even think so

If Dak holds out, then Dalton should be expected to start. There is no competition between him, DiNucci and Thor.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This is what pisses me off! He should be competing for the starting job regardless of if Dak is signed of not. I hate the idea of players not having to compete for their job year in and year out.

I don't completely agree with this. If one player is clearly better than the other, then yes, that player should be the starter, but you can split the locker room by holding a truly open competition for a key spot like quarterback, where you want to establish a leader ... and generally, you are using the preseason to become a cohesive unit (especially with a new coaching staff) so you don't need to be shifting a bunch of players in and out with the starting unit.

Ideally, what you do is begin with most of your starters in place and then make a change if the backup at a position is outplaying the starter. That's where coaches have trouble IMO; they will sometimes stick with the starter when it's clear a change should be made. (Think Parcells starting Drew Bledsoe in 2006 before finally realizing he was finished and putting in Romo in the seventh game.)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Every player on every team is competing for starting jobs. Coaches won't admit it for certain players like Dak who have proven themselves, but if they can't at least maintain their performance they'll be benched.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
And in other news WATER IS WET

Thanks OP
So the collective Cowboy Fandom is still split.

One half want Dak

One half want Dalton.

One half want to draft a QB high in 2021.

The only way that happens is if we go like 3-14 under Big Mike.

Then watch the meltdown here.

We ain't seen nothing yet.

:angry:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
So the collective Cowboy Fandom is still split.

One half want Dak

One half want Dalton.

One half want to draft a QB high in 2021.

The only way that happens is if we go like 3-14 under Big Mike.

Then watch the meltdown here.

We ain't seen nothing yet.

:angry:
...and 100% want you to stop with the constant *****ing about Dak threads.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Dak holds out, what else should Dalton expect? He's here to be Dak's backup. If Dak holds out, of course he expects to start.
This.
Seems like common sense to me.
He'd just be doing what he's being paid to do.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Dak holds out, then Dalton should be expected to start. There is no competition between him, DiNucci and Thor.
I actually think the Nuchie might be better already then Dalton