Andy Dalton is a quality QB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dalton came to Dallas because he couldn't find a starting gig elsewhere.

That tells you all you need to know there.
He is a really good back up QB.

He is not going to play this season if Dak is healthy and games are close.
But in these COVID times it makes more sense than ever to have a strong back up and Dallas got lucky that Andy is local.

There's likely a lot of wasted fanfare on a guy who won't take many snaps then moves on next off-season to a place he can compete for the job.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But in these COVID times it makes more sense than ever to have a strong back up and Dallas got lucky that Andy is local.

There's likely a lot of wasted fanfare on a guy who won't take many snaps then moves on next off-season to a place he can compete for the job.

I'm not sure it's fair to say not being able to find a starting gig tells all because most teams had already made their QB plans and the associated commitments before Dalton was available, and really most teams had that in place even before free agency started.

But even next year he's not going to be a top priority for teams that have a hole to fill at QB, and that would include the Cowboys if they cannot make a deal with Dak. At best he would be a stop gap/temporary fix until a team can find a better and/or longer term solution.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Give me an example of cutting Dak to defend zeke replying to you. I'll send you 10 dollars if you find...say 3 times? Or maybe even 2? 1?

I rarely talk Dak trash, if ever. I don't think he's perfect...just like Zeke isn't. Dak has made some terrible throws....god awful. And I did recently..politely... ask how many YAC his receivers get. No knock...just stat crunching. Again...I'll send you 5 bucks if you give me an example of an unreasonable "hate" cutting of Dak.

"A few points"...that is the very definition of cherry picking.
Why are you asking questions you have no idea the answer to?
Google is a better source than the board.

YAC is a personal stat not a team one.
It is individual based and has very little to do with the QB.

Tyreek Hill with Pat Mahomes had 275 yards after catch.
Amari Cooper with Dak had 278 yards after catch.

Dallas leader in YAC was Zeke.
League-wide 3 of the top 4 are RB.

The stat doesn't mean what you think it does.
The NFL's best YAC QB in 2019 was Jared Goff... 2nd would be Phillip Rivers.
Dak was 6th, one spot behind Pat Mahomes. --Dak and Pat are low by % but higher in total because they passed for so many yards last year.
Bad QBs rank high by % because all they do is check down, his TEs or runs screens.

As to awful throws, like most other nonsensical statements, there are stats for that and Dak ranks among the best in the league for 2019.
Dak's bad throw % was ranked 27th worst at 14.8.
That is very good. By Comparison Pat's bad throw % was 18.1% which is about league average.

Dak haters are big on speaking in generalities and cluelessly applying what they think they saw versus a league they largely didn't watch.
I am not saying you are a hater just that you are exhibiting some of the hater habits.

You might wanna spend a little time on this page:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's fair to say not being able to find a starting gig tells all because most teams had already made their QB plans and the associated commitments before Dalton was available, and really most teams had that in place even before free agency started.

But even next year he's not going to be a top priority for teams that have a hole to fill at QB, and that would include the Cowboys if they cannot make a deal with Dak. At best he would be a stop gap/temporary fix until a team can find a better and/or longer term solution.
It's exactly what happened.
I can't speak to the rest except the team he left drafted a kid to start day 1 and no one else targeted him as a starter.
The league is hardly infallible and maybe he is better than GMs think but he was forced to take a back up job.
He will try again next year but chances are good he is never again a full-time starter again.
It's tough to find what he had in Cincy, a long-term starting position, at his age, 33.

Dalton is zero threat to Dak and never has been.He was good insurance in case he needs to start 2 games.
He may very well have beaten Philly last year when Dak was injured. --tho that Eagles defense was admittedly very good at that point.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's exactly what happened.
I can't speak to the rest except the team he left drafted a kid to start day 1 and no one else targeted him as a starter.
The league is hardly infallible and maybe he is better than GMs think but he was forced to take a back up job.
He will try again next year but chances are good he is never again a full-time starter again.
It's tough to find what he had in Cincy, a long-term starting position, at his age, 33.

Dalton is zero threat to Dak and never has been.He was good insurance in case he needs to start 2 games.
He may very well have beaten Philly last year when Dak was injured. --tho that Eagles defense was admittedly very good at that point.
All I'm saying is that there are only a few QB openings every year, and his later release hindered whatever chances he may have had to be considered for those few openings, so it's hard to say if there are other teams that might have thought of him as a having the potential to start because they were never in a position to consider him.

But, as I said, I don't believe any team would think of him as anything other than a stop gap measure at this point in his career while they look for someone else.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why are you asking questions you have no idea the answer to?
Google is a better source than the board.

YAC is a personal stat not a team one.
It is individual based and has very little to do with the QB.

Tyreek Hill with Pat Mahomes had 275 yards after catch.
Amari Cooper with Dak had 278 yards after catch.

Dallas leader in YAC was Zeke.
League-wide 3 of the top 4 are RB.

The stat doesn't mean what you think it does.
The NFL's best YAC QB in 2019 was Jared Goff... 2nd would be Phillip Rivers.
Dak was 6th, one spot behind Pat Mahomes. --Dak and Pat are low by % but higher in total because they passed for so many yards last year.
Bad QBs rank high by % because all they do is check down, his TEs or runs screens.

As to awful throws, like most other nonsensical statements, there are stats for that and Dak ranks among the best in the league for 2019.
Dak's bad throw % was ranked 27th worst at 14.8.
That is very good. By Comparison Pat's bad throw % was 18.1% which is about league average.

Dak haters are big on speaking in generalities and cluelessly applying what they think they saw versus a league they largely didn't watch.
I am not saying you are a hater just that you are exhibiting some of the hater habits.

You might wanna spend a little time on this page:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing_advanced.htm

Shouldn't you ask the context for which I was asking the question? You wasted a lot of time there in your attempt to school me.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
47uncr.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score

About the only thing I disagree w/ you on is him moving on. I believe Andy lacks the mental toughness to be a long term starter. IMO, he's going to be happy to spend the rest of his career as a backup. I believe that's his mental state at present, and I think that's where he's going to stay at.

glimmerman

Reaction score
About the only thing I disagree w/ you on is him moving on. I believe Andy lacks the mental toughness to be a long term starter. IMO, he's going to be happy to spend the rest of his career as a backup. I believe that's his mental state at present, and I think that's where he's going to stay at.
Already made his 83 million dollars. Finish making 3-7 million a year for a few more years. Maybe never really throw a pass in a game again and be a backup and collect that check.

kskboys

Reaction score
Already made his 83 million dollars. Finish making 3-7 million a year for a few more years. Maybe never really throw a pass in a game again and be a backup and collect that check.
Many QB's have done this. Bernie Kosar. Matt Schaub is doing it right now. Jon Kitna. Orton.

Not everyone wants to start. And some QB's, toward the end of their careers, prefer to be backups at that point. It really appears that Dalton is ready for a backup role.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Many QB's have done this. Bernie Kosar. Matt Schaub is doing it right now. Jon Kitna. Orton.

Not everyone wants to start. And some QB's, toward the end of their careers, prefer to be backups at that point. It really appears that Dalton is ready for a backup role.
I think so also. But of course he says he would like to start. And hey if he puts in some work this year and a team wants to start him for 3 years 100 million I am sure he won’t turn it down. But if he could stay on the sidelines maybe start being a player coach for 5 million or so then fine. I am hoping he can help Dak like Sanchez did. Now Sanchez couldn’t play anymore but Dak did say he and Romo helped him a lot his rookie year. I would sign him for 5 a year for a couple of years.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think so also. But of course he says he would like to start. And hey if he puts in some work this year and a team wants to start him for 3 years 100 million I am sure he won’t turn it down. But if he could stay on the sidelines maybe start being a player coach for 5 million or so then fine. I am hoping he can help Dak like Sanchez did. Now Sanchez couldn’t play anymore but Dak did say he and Romo helped him a lot his rookie year. I would sign him for 5 a year for a couple of years.
They all say they want to start. That's just being politically correct, and keeping the respect of teammates. Guys simply aren't going to play hard for some QB who declares he'd rather be a backup.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They all say they want to start. That's just being politically correct, and keeping the respect of teammates. Guys simply aren't going to play hard for some QB who declares he'd rather be a backup.
I will start. And will play for 20 million a year. I will play year by year contracts. All guaranteed of course.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Isn't that why you ask the question in the first place?

Are you in the habit of knowing the answer to the questions you ask?
Yes, I am, on this board when debating a topic.
In debate/legal/argument parlance you never ask a question you do not know the answer to.

On this board it just comes across as lazy when you ask people to basically google something for you.

You weren't just asking a question. You were making a statement then asking the question as some type of defense.
In effect saying ok refute me but go do homework because just maybe I made a point here.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Shouldn't you ask the context for which I was asking the question? You wasted a lot of time there in your attempt to school me.
I knew the context.
And I knew you were using it incorrectly in all ways.

You were being the typical Dak detractor that has no clue about anything really but gets his feelings hurt when called on it.
The "schooling" was my nice way of explaining why you were so very wrong as opposed to just giving up and calling you stupid.

We are near the end of the off-season and I've yet to see one data-driven argument where Dak is bad.
Perhaps one is possible but it seems unlikely.