Andy Isabella

cnuball21

Reaction score
Find what unlikely?

“That's easy to say and I am with you, but if there is a much more talented WR than those positions then for me it's a no brainer. ”

I find it highly unlikely there will be a much more talented WR available in the 2nd ahead of our positions of need.

DanA

Reaction score
“That's easy to say and I am with you, but if there is a much more talented WR than those positions then for me it's a no brainer. ”

I find it highly unlikely there will be a much more talented WR available in the 2nd ahead of our positions of need.

Really? I don’t find it unlikely at all. Every time I see a mock that gets to mid 50’s there are no good safeties, no good O-line players and rarely a DT. There’s usually some good TE’s but I think you can throw a blanket over TE 4-10 and I expect several of them to be there in the 3rd.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Really? I don’t find it unlikely at all. Every time I see a mock that gets to mid 50’s there are no good safeties, no good O-line players and rarely a DT. There’s usually some good TE’s but I think you can throw a blanket over TE 4-10 and I expect several of them to be there in the 3rd.

Absolutely. The key term is “much more talented” as in there will be a WR there head and shoulders above what we have available that would address our needs.

Outside of Metcalf and Brown, there aren’t names that would wow me if they were there at 58. It’s a bunch of dudes that wouldn’t really be an upgrade over Gallup.

For DT, I think there’s a decent chance someone like Tillery / Willis will be available at our 2nd selection. Both dudes are better prospects than what we have on our roster IMO.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Absolutely. The key term is “much more talented” as in there will be a WR there head and shoulders above what we have available that would address our needs.

Outside of Metcalf and Brown, there aren’t names that would wow me if they were there at 58. It’s a bunch of dudes that wouldn’t really be an upgrade over Gallup.

For DT, I think there’s a decent chance someone like Tillery / Willis will be available at our 2nd selection. Both dudes are better prospects than what we have on our roster IMO.

Are you looking for an upgrade of Gallup, or are you looking for a guy who can play the slot and have the potential to play outside?

I've said this from the beginning I think they are going to address as many holes as possible on short term deals via FA will be the most interesting heading into FA.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Are you looking for an upgrade of Gallup, or are you looking for a guy who can play the slot and have the potential to play outside?

I've said this from the beginning I think they are going to address as many holes as possible on short term deals via FA will be the most interesting heading into FA.

I’m looking to upgrade talent at the weakest positions on our team. To me, DT is one of those positions.

I honestly believe we can get someone in the 2nd round that can develop into being our best DT.

The WR drafted would likely be competing for the #3 spot on a run first team. If you then argue we’re going to throw more now we’re taking touches away from Zeke who is arguably the best player in our roster. Just doesn’t add up IMO when you can find crazy value for slot guys later in the draft.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I’m looking to upgrade talent at the weakest positions on our team. To me, DT is one of those positions.

I honestly believe we can get someone in the 2nd round that can develop into being our best DT.

The WR drafted would likely be competing for the #3 spot on a run first team. If you then argue we’re going to throw more now we’re taking touches away from Zeke who is arguably the best player in our roster. Just doesn’t add up IMO when you can find crazy value for slot guys later in the draft.

I'm not looking for a pure slot guy if I draft a WR I am looking for a guy who can play both inside and outside who can be a dynamic playmaker. Cooper is dynamic at both playing the inside and outside and when you have a guy like Beasley who is a pure slot you are limited in what you can do on offense and cannot run a hurry up with a full repertoire because your sets are what they are with him in the game.

If we can fill the DT or S spot with a better player than what we have now I am all for it, but from the looks of things right now the d-line is going to go early and often in the 1st round, and I'm sure you are going to see some go in the second. As many as 10 D-line guys can go in the first you factor another 5 or so guys can go before we pick are we getting a better quality DT than we would a WR where you might have 2-3 that go in the first although I think 2nd round you can see some fly off the boards.

S class isn't the strongest you have maybe 1 1st round projected guy?

TE unless someone drops you are going to have the top 3 off the board and are the other guys better than what we have by a large margin?

If Cole is gone we have a wide open spot with nobody to fill it unless it's addressed in FA and you can argue a mid-level DT might come far cheaper than that of a slot WR let alone a guy who can play both inside and out with the ability to hit the HR.

If you follow the money IMO the WR position is the best utilization of the pick.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need DT, OT, S, a slot guy
Our needs exceed our picks so at 58 you have to fill one with a quality prospect
I think the quality at 58 very well could be at WR
Need or want?

The starters at the positions you listed were "good enough" in 2018.

Obviously adding a very good player at any of those positions would be great; however, a don't think they have to upgrade all of them.

Oddly, I have OT as possibly the biggest issue despite having an All-Pro LT and good enough RT. They just don't have any young depth unless Connor Williams is an option. Tyron has missed multiple games the past 3 seasons and La'el is a free agent after the season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm not looking for a pure slot guy if I draft a WR I am looking for a guy who can play both inside and outside who can be a dynamic playmaker. Cooper is dynamic at both playing the inside and outside and when you have a guy like Beasley who is a pure slot you are limited in what you can do on offense and cannot run a hurry up with a full repertoire because your sets are what they are with him in the game.

If we can fill the DT or S spot with a better player than what we have now I am all for it, but from the looks of things right now the d-line is going to go early and often in the 1st round, and I'm sure you are going to see some go in the second. As many as 10 D-line guys can go in the first you factor another 5 or so guys can go before we pick are we getting a better quality DT than we would a WR where you might have 2-3 that go in the first although I think 2nd round you can see some fly off the boards.

S class isn't the strongest you have maybe 1 1st round projected guy?

TE unless someone drops you are going to have the top 3 off the board and are the other guys better than what we have by a large margin?

If Cole is gone we have a wide open spot with nobody to fill it unless it's addressed in FA and you can argue a mid-level DT might come far cheaper than that of a slot WR let alone a guy who can play both inside and out with the ability to hit the HR.

If you follow the money IMO the WR position is the best utilization of the pick.

I’m fine with a WR that can play inside and out I just don’t think we’ll see eye to eye on this.
I also don’t think you should discredit Wilson / Brown as guys that aren’t potentials.

Yes, DL players will come off the board in the top 50 selections but so will the top WRs. Teams will overdraft certain skill positions like they do every year.

Theres a slew of midround WRs this year that can come in and compete for the #3 spot but I don’t think it makes sense to take one in the 2nd.

conner01

Reaction score
Need or want?

The starters at the positions you listed were "good enough" in 2018.

Obviously adding a very good player at any of those positions would be great; however, a don't think they have to upgrade all of them.

Oddly, I have OT as possibly the biggest issue despite having an All-Pro LT and good enough RT. They just don't have any young depth unless Connor Williams is an option. Tyron has missed multiple games the past 3 seasons and La'el is a free agent after the season.
Very good point
OT is maybe the biggest need with Collins up after the season
WR I think is pretty big with Beasley leaving and I don’t think he will be the only WR leaving
We all want to upgrade positions but the point of need you may be right